Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: We are going to India-for 6 months! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

We got word on Friday that my DH will be working out of the Calcutta office next year. His company will pay for all of us to live there as long as we want to. They are renting a house for us and we can ship whatever we need ahead. I know not many people have been to India- but let's say you are taking a long trip anywhere and had to bring all your "school" stuff (read-BOOKS!) with you. What would you deem "must have"? There is no library- there is one book store with English printed books. I do know I can have more stuff mailed to me, but I don't want a bunch of stuff.
We just happen to be concentrating on American History this year. Do you think it would be wierd studying the US while in India? Or maybe it would a nice change since we'll be surrounded by India?
Forgive my stream of thought post- I'm nervous,excited,apprehensive, and a little overwhelmed. We have to get passports,visas, pack our house, rent it out, put our stuff in storage, find homes for our pets,(anyone want a dog,cat,bird or ferret for 6 months?)
   Maybe I should just concentrate on the book issue.
We'll need lots of books- and we'll bring some math books too. I already found a contact at the Mother Teresa home and we can volunteer there. But I wonder if we'll be doing a lot of "school" or just a little. Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Take your "summer" break while there. It will definitely be schooly enough just being in India.

Bring journals, both writing and art.
Art supplies.
Toilet paper.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Ooooh, that is SOOOO exciting! I'm so envious!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Martha

take your religious study materials
math
writing needs
some art supplies
I'd also purchase some really good stuff on India and dump the U.S. history in favor of India's history and geography. Some really great poetry, writings, and art come out of India! And it's been prominent in the history of almost every major nation in history. Make an effort to learn customs before you arrive to make the adjustment easier.
Some good friends of mine are from India - just outside of New Deli (sp?). Calcutta is a major city so I don't think you'll need toilet paper.
Get fitted for a sari - they are very comfortable to wear! You may find you don't like your american clothes as much.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

WOW! What an opportunity!
I, personally, would drop the US history and just soak up India while there. You can do the US anytime!
Will you have internet access? If so, that can lighten the book load a bit because you can find so much on the web. Plus, ebooks can be printed (or listened to like Audible) once there and wouldn't take up as much shipping space.
A subscription to Encarta online and Enchanted Learning might be useful, too.
I'm with Jennifer about the journals, too. It would be great to notebook the whole experience.
Wow. I am so jealous!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Martha wrote:

Some good friends of mine are from India - just outside of New Deli (sp?). Calcutta is a major city so I don't think you'll need toilet paper.

That's good to hear! Mom's best friend went to India (awhile back though...) and all her letters to us were nothing but re-worded requests for toilet paper. Must have made an impression on me.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Actually Toilet Paper is on the list of BYO. We can get it there but its expensive- well becuase its not in demand there.

I will have the internet. My formally very textbooky DH says its the perfect unit study! Maybe I should just send all the scrapbooking materials so we can make really great notebooks! I bet glue and glitter are hard to find!

We are going to try and pick up a little Hindi- our library just started offering Rosetta Stone online, so we'll start there.

Great Ideas-keep them coming!

Oh- yeah Summer break- thats the best idea ever!

Jen

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

I would soak up India!

What a GREAT opportunity!!! You'll be able to do so much learning just through your experiences.

I wanna go!

Congratulations!!!!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

What an opportunity!

I would do India -- take advantage of all chances to travel and shop and real living in India. That 6 months or so will be so worth it. Maybe you could ask if they'll ship stuff over after you've been there a while -- after 3 months or so, you might like the comfort of the english language books, especially favorite read-alouds....

Have a great time and don't forget your computer so you can keep us posted about this latest adventure!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Okay, I give up....WHAT DO they use if they don't use TP???

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

amiefriedl wrote:
Okay, I give up....WHAT DO they use if they don't use TP???

Gosh, I'm glad she asked; I was go going to !

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Well, I was hoping not to get into this- but they use their left hand. Therefore it is extremely impolite to shake hands or eat anything with your left hand as it is considered unclean. (as it should be) yuck yuck yuck
I'm also bringing a gigantic bottle of hand sanitizer.
Now this is not "everyone" in India, but most of the country is uneducated and in a cast system so change takes time. There are no grocery stores so all TP is imported and I'm not sure which stand would sell it, so we'll bring our own. Diapers and wipes are also hard to get and pricey.
I'm learning more everyday from the emails I've been sending to Calcutta. The boys can wear their American clothes and shorts but my daughter and I should wear sari's or at least american pants, shorts, and anything form fitting is extremely offensive. I don't even own any short skirts, so that won't be a problem, but I am hoping for a backyard where my very rough and tumble daughter could wear shorts at home. We'll see...
Also just found out that they don't have ziploc bags. I guess I'll just assume that if its a convenience item we'll bring our own.

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Wow! How exciting!!

Get a good camera and take lots of pictures.   

Please keep us posted via the list or your blog. We can all study India with you.

Blessings,
Krisann

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

I have no experience of spending time in another country, but I have known a number of American expats living and working over here for a time. Those who have got most out of the experience were those who ditched the plan and focused on Britain - seeing as much of the country as possible, reading loads of British history. If I were you, I would definitely leave the US history for now and learn about India.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I'm with the rest of the gang: as much as I love American History, I'd ditch it and concentrate on doing India-Indian art, culture, architecture, history, food, Christianity in India (one year we did the Jesuits around the world, which lead to a neat rabbit trail to India...lucky you-a FIELD TRIP along those lines!) You will have plenty to keep you interested and busy. The suggestion to subscribe to Enchanted Learning is a great one, too. You'll have lots of neat projects available at your fingertips, whatever you study.

Also, as a devotee of Things Indian, I have to vote for getting a punjab instead of a sari. The Indian student who used to live with us recommended it, and I have to say, I LOVE mine (although I only get to wear it for Halloween, All Saints, India Unit Study parties/Diwali parties-when we have them-and Mardi Gras!) Punjabs consist of a tunic with a shawl thing, over pants that taper down to your ankles. They can be very flattering, and are much easier to wear than a sari, and very feminine.

Also, to get yourselves In The Mood, I highly recommend some of the Bollywood movies, especially "Lagaan", "KKKG" Kabi Kushi Kabi Gan sp??- and the Indian remake of Sense and Sensibility, which is called....oops, blanking out here. Anyway, most of the Bollywood movies are pretty G rated, with lots of music and dancing, and a neat ending that usually entails the children obeying their parents (this, I like!). We went thru an intense Bollywood period, and I don't think I saw anything particularly offensive-and the kids loved them.

For your own Reading Pleasure, have you read the "Raj Quartet", which starts out with "The Jewel in the Crown"? Really interesting about India and the end of its colonial period/beginning of independence. Also, although its a bit on the pulpy side, the books (vols I and II) by M.M. Kaye, "The Far Pavilions" were interesting reading and came highly endorsed to me via some Indian friends. I learned a lot of history from them. Depending on the ages of your children, it was also made into a TV miniseries starring Amy Irving and Ben, oh, what's his name-the guy from "Chariots of Fire". My kids really liked these movies-though there is a disturbing part where one of the characters does suttee-going to the funeral pyre of her husband. Although its not graphic, per se, its chilling-you'd probably want to forego that part Still, I learned bunches from these books.

What a marvelous opportunity for you! Let me know if you get stuck-we'll send TP if you'll send Updates on your Adventures!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Kelly, (and All)
Thanks for all the advice. I'm putting the movies in my netflix quue. I was wondering what saint you are on All Saints in your punjab? I actually have one that my DH brought me the last time he was there. He's gone twice, but the problem is he was alone and didn't want to be away any longer than he needed to so he just worked and went back and forth to a hotel, so he doesn't know the area very well. We were looking online and now I see why the company will pay our expensives- they'll be next to nothing. A furnished 3 bedroom apt (1500 sq ft) comes out to $285 dollars a month! Of course saying it is 12,000 rupees makes it seem more pricey
We aren't sure if we'll get a apt or house. My DH is leaning towards a house so we could be in a neighborhood. By the way, did you know India is only 3 percent Christian and that Calcutta is in a Communist State? I told the kids that we will be like missionaries! My 12 year old smart aleck says he'll be a male Mother Theresa because she didn't get martyed!

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hey Jen,

We were researching about praying mantis' and came upon this insect.

Just thought we'd share!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

There are quite a few Rumer Godden novels set in India! Here are a few, I'm sure there are more (don't forget about Rudyard Kipling)....Comartie vs.the god shiva,

Mooltiki, Stories and Poems from India,

A Time to Dance, No Time to Weep, about her childhood in India,

Two Under the Indian Sun,

Premlata and the Festival of Lights (for children),

Kingfishers Catch Fire.

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Jen,

India sounds like fun! Believe me, six months will fly by. I just wanted to link you to a fabulous website we use to check out potential places to move - it really gives you a good idea of what's available. Many of the reports are written by Embassy employees, but not all. Anyway, it's really very useful and will hopefully help you as you continue to ask questions of your contacts in Calcutta.

Here's the site: RealPosts

Have fun!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

<a href="http://ukbookworm.blogspot.com/">Kathryn, aka "Bookworm"</a> has been putting up lovely reviews on books on India on her <a href="http://monthlymedley.blogspot.com/">Monthly Medley</a>. Great stuff!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version