Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Post Surgery Meals Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

Nothing like waiting until the last minute

Does anyone have any simple or easy type meals that I can throw togther in some baking pans to be ready to be easily put into the oven by dh or dd16 for after my surgery on Wednesday? I am hoping to make up two or three meals tomorrow so that we don't resort to (expensive) out-food at the end of the week.....

I am usually okay at thinking things like this up, but my mind is not working, my cookbooks are packed somewhere, and...I just need help....

And, sadly, bland and non-spicy is best, as I have some picky eaters...

Any ideas? Suggestions?

TIA,
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

Tia,
Here is something really simple and my picky eaters love them. You take bread dough (either from the bread machine or you can buy frozen loaves--you could also make it yourself, but that wouldn't be easy ). If you buy the frozen let it thaw. Cut the loaf into four or five pieces and then flatten and put in a slice of mozzarella cheese and fold in half, like a taco. Seal the edge, place on a baking sheet, and cook in oven at 350F for about 20 min. I serve these with spaghetti and a salad and we pour spaghetti sauce over them. You can make them ahead just don't bake them, wrap them seperately, and then freeze. Just thaw in the fridge before you bake them.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

How about....

chili or pulled beef? Also, tacos, can be made up easily without being frozen!

I hope that might get the creative cooking juices going!

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Patty LeVasseur wrote:
You take bread dough (either from the bread machine or you can buy frozen loaves--you could also make it yourself, but that wouldn't be easy ). If you buy the frozen let it thaw. Cut the loaf into four or five pieces and then flatten and put in a slice of mozzarella cheese and fold in half, like a taco. Seal the edge, place on a baking sheet, and cook in oven at 350F for about 20 min.

Oh, this sounds interesting! So -- from one frozen loaf you would get 5 or so? And you seal the cheese all the way in, right? So like, smoosh it in if it doesn't fit so it won't bubble out during baking?
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

If I were you I'd pick one type of meat and then do 2-3 things with it.

For example, if you chose ground beef you could make a bunch of meatballs and then make swedish meatballs with some and spag. & meatballs with others and then a meatloaf with the rest.

Easy Swed. meatballs:
make a paste out of about 4 pieces of bread/lb. and enough water to make it a paste, some salt and pepper and finely minced onions (optional-although make them small enough and they won't find them ).

Add you ground beef and make into meatballs. Brown. (if you omitted the onions from the balls add them to the browning in strips to add flavor, then discard.

You can now either cook them until done or freeze them half raw (BE SURE TO LABEL THAT THEY'RE RAW).

Then, to heat you put the frozen meatballs into a casserole, and add enough Campbells mushroom soup plus water or miil to cover the meatballs and have a sauce. Serve with rice or potatoes.

This is the easy, cheating Swedish meatballs. There are the authentic ones that have a the REAL sauce with cream, broth, etc. I bet you could find it on-line.

Meatloaf: I encase the outer edge in bacon so it never dries out and the bacon flavors it. Freeze it completely cooked (or just formed and ready to cook). If cooked, reheat frozen meatloaf with a little liquid to not let it dry out.

Another idea is to cook several (2-3) roasts until they shred. Season how you want, but I use garlic, ro-tel tomatoes, or whatever I'm in the mood for.

Then you can use the shredded beef for BBQ beef (freezes well), tacos, or plain roast in some kind of gravy.

Okay, I'm realizing here that I'm not much help because I'm not really giving you recipes. I'm a fly-by-the-seat of my pants chef!

What about stew? White chili (chicken, broth, corn, wild rice, white beans, green chilies--too spicy?)

What about a plain veg. beef soup? You could use the roast in that.

Maybe someone else will chime in here. . .

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

cactus mouse wrote:

Oh, this sounds interesting! So -- from one frozen loaf you would get 5 or so? And you seal the cheese all the way in, right? So like, smoosh it in if it doesn't fit so it won't bubble out during baking?

I usually make 1 for each 1/4lb of dough. So if it is a 1 lb. loaf I would get four. But if you have five in your family and you had one loaf, you could make five. (Although my children like these enough that they prefer if I use three loaves and make twelve.) And yes, just smoosh or fold. These are easy enough that my ds 14 and 13 can make them without me--along with the salad and the spaghetti, so they can do the whole meal without me.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version