Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: making your house a home Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 22 2006 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

Okay, I have decluttered and I am working on organizing everything. I am trying to get ideas for decorating. I have been known to utter "If it looks good in a magazine it doesn't belong in my house" so decorator ideas aren't helping me. Also, I am starting to think that decorating doesn't have so much to do with where you put the sofa as it does about the personal touches that people add. So what things have you done to your house that really makes your house feel like home to you?

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2006 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Hi Patty,

I only have a few minutes online right now, but wanted to point you in the direction of some threads that might address your query!

Elegant Simplicity

Elegant Simplicity in the Living Room

Elegant Simplicity in the Kitchen

And there are a few more, too - learning spaces, bedrooms, etc. - search Fireside Chat for "elegant simplicity" and you will find more of these threads as well as the links to a blog carnival started by Elizabeth on the very same subject!!

Hope that gives you a good start!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2006 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I use more knick knacks in a space than your modern magazines will show.. you know they're into lots of clear space and that just doesn't work for me.. I don't have many spaces I can use because of the kids.. but those I have I put knick knacks (candles, stauettes etc) not too crowded but maybe a bit.. and lots of family pictures.. I use small silver frames to set extended family pictures on my bookcases in front of hte books.. the silver pops out agains the "clutter" of books.. and there's pictures of dh's brothers and my sisters and their families.. our parents.. my grandparents (who have passed away).. and the on the other bookcase I have little pictures of my kids.. candid not posed/professional..

Basically, when I let myself get the things I like and not try to conform to "this is the way to do it" then things started taking on a cohsive whole.. oh and colors.. for me color can make a room work or feel odd.

It took some time.. but just in the last couple of years I realized that I'd finally gotten things to my way/colors so that my living room has a "finished" look.. though it's definately not formal.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2006 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

Wow Dawn thanks for those links. I have only had time to read the first one, but that was exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to read the rest.

Jodie, when I try to clear out everything it ends up looking like a hospital.    I know some people can make that look work, but I really can't. I think you are right about having some knick knacks around that you really like making it feel homey. I really like your idea of the silver picture frames with pictures of family. I bet that looks stunning.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I saw a show once where they took things from different rooms to redecorate the house.

For example I love brightly colored hispanic folk art and had several pieces spread throughout our other houses. This time I tried to make the pieces work together in the kitchen and dining room. I won't say it's perfect, but it is an improvement. On the show they did it with furniture too.

To me, the best part is that it's free.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2006 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Patty LeVasseur wrote:
When I try to clear out everything it ends up looking like a hospital.    I know some people can make that look work, but I really can't.
My IRL Friend just redid her house with new furniture, paint, etc... but when I walked in all I could think was that it felt exactly like my favorite Doctor's office! It even had kid toys scattered about and a basket in the corner! She's happy but I so would not be, it's just not me. But since she is an Ambulance driver maybe she enjoys that sterile feel...   

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version