Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: the natural medicine cabinet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

I was organizing my medicine cabinet and found a list of things that should be in every medicine cabinet (like bandages, cold medicine, etc.) I wanted to ask those of you who favor a more natural approach what you think are the medicine cabinet essentials.

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Echinacea and a good vitamin C (Emergen-C) for staving off colds etc. and acidophilus to build up good bacteria to fight off any infections.

Mary

Mom 2 3
Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

arnica - homeopathic for bruising and swelling (great for things like sprains as well as the big ol' knots from a hard fall - also helps with bleeding injuries.. I take it immediately after a birth, and I've given it to my kids before dental work (had one child have a couple teeth taken out, just a bit early)

bromelain - enzyme from pineapple, also for bruising but any soft tissue injury (including sore muscles) helps reduce swelling and speed healing.. often can be used instead of NSAIDs and won't build up in your system the way NSAIDs do (you don't have to increase doseage over time for the same relief for long term use)

paste toothpaste - haven't found anything to work so well on bee stings as plain ol' paste toothpaste.. you can get it on quick.. you can carry a small tube with you.. it starts helping right away and within several hours it's gone.

red raspberry leaf - capsules or tea.. absolutely wonderful at helping balance hormones/emotions

herbal ear drops (usually a mix with garlic, mullien maybe golden seal) but can be used at first hint of earache and often head off any infection.

definately vit. C - allergies use up vitamin C so taking more vit. C can actually reduce/eliminate allergic reactions.. at least for the hay fever variety.. it helps the others but I don't know how much.

colloidal silver - I use this pretty sparingly but it works so well on pink eye.. I can use it at the very first hint and treat all eyes in the house and stop it dead in it's tracks. (which is so important with all the eyes around here)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I second all Jodie said, especially the arnica, I keep it in gel and tincture.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Lavendar essential oil; vitamin E cream; peppermint essential oil, red thyme eo (also jojoba oil or some other carrier oil for mixing these eo's into --we mix the peppermint and red thyme along with euchalyptus (sp? doesn't look right to me), then apply to throat, chest, jawbone below and behind ear, then keep cotton ball used for application on pillow when kids are stuffy, coughing).

Sea salt for making gargle or swishing in mouth for small sores that may develop.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Sharie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Sharie

Since discovering essential oils, our home will never be without them again.   All my children know how to use them and LOVE them (even though they thought Mom was a bit crazy when she first brought them home!)

Lavender and peppermint are must haves.   Then we use many blends from the company we buy from.   They aren't cheap, but you don't have to use much either.   We don't have any health insurance so I figure that I can spend some of the money I would use toward premiums for prevention and natural care.

Our 17yo ds, who plays football, wouldn't be without Lemongrass. He has pulled a few muscles and finds great relief with the oils.

We also use other homeopathics and herbs when needed, but rely mostly on EO's. One word of caution....don't just buy any EO's as many are diluted with various substances and can cause more harm than good.

Blessings,
Sharie
Back to Top View Sharie's Profile Search for other posts by Sharie Visit Sharie's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Sharie, Could you steer me in a good direction to learn more about using various eo's? I always have lavender and tto on hand, and euchalyptus for cold season, but I'd love to learn more and broaden our use of them. Thanks so much!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Lisa -

This is not Sharie, but I can share with you the best book I've found on the subject of using essential oils. (DUH! I've misspelled 'lavender' about 2000 times in the last 24 hours!)

Anyway, the book is The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood. You can probably find it at Amazon.

I'm with Sharie - we are 'hooked' on essential oils around here -- use them also to wake up sleepy brains (lemon and rosemary in a diffuser), among other things. They aren't a cure, but often treat symptoms and prevent some little thing from getting too big, so you can make people comfortable while, say, a cold runs its course.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

No time to add extensively but Tea Tree Oil is a must around here. And I use this flow chart and stock up at Tri Light Herbs.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Don't forget the wonder drug you carry around in your own "medicine chest" - breastmilk is great for scrapes, burns, ear infections, pinkeye, and warts!
Back to Top View organiclilac's Profile Search for other posts by organiclilac

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

organiclilac wrote:
Don't forget the wonder drug you carry around in your own "medicine chest" - breastmilk is great for scrapes, burns, ear infections, pinkeye, and warts!

What a great reminder.

We have quite a few of the items listed above plus "Golden Salve" which is an ointment of oils and calendula, Vit. E, Beeswax, Comfrey and Yellowdock roots and a few other things. It's great for the chapped lips and under the nose where it gets so painful during allergies and colds.

For cramps a tea of fresh ginger and Lemon Balm and Chamomile works great for my dd.

I second the Euchalyptus oil which I use in a small steamer for head colds and stuffed noses. Aloe Vera plants are the best for burns but the liquid is what I'm using right now. I refrigerate it and apply it to burns with a cotton ball.

This is a great topic!

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I keep the homeopathic remedy Ipecac, on hand because it works wonders at stopping vomiting in my children.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version