Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Working moms Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 04 2006 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Elena

I'm wondering if any of you help to supplement your husband's income to help make ends meet.   My husband started his own business 12 years ago and although he is doing much better there is no way we could survive on just his income from that business. He takes on extra jobs as well which definitely help.

I am a medical transcriptionist and I work about 15 to 20 hours a week at home. I also sell books and other items on eBay. For this fall, with all of my homeschooling responsibilities I think I will have to start working at 5:00 a.m. to be done by 8:00 a.m. and then finish work in the evenings.

I just wondered if anyone else is trying to figure out how to make earning extra income fit with homeschooling a large family.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Elena,

I do not work to supplement my dh's income, but we are looking for ways to make some extra money for Christmas and a furniture purchase.

I'm currently looking into the WIC program and food stamps to help make ends meet. The income guidelines are higher for WIC than for food stamps.

My dh is also looking into taking a part-time second job. We figured even w/ the second job, we won't go over the income guidelines for WIC.

I've considered doing something like Pampered Chef to help out, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Looking forward to reading other suggestions.

Dawn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Elena,

I developed my first planner when my dh was unemployed. His work situation has improved since then but not so much that we don't need the business income. It it the perfect fit for us.

Look for a need, find a niche, and pray - you may be surprised at what God inspires you to.

Start up costs can be very minimmal with your own business, it just depends on what you do.

I'll be happy to answer questions if needed.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 04 2006 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Elena,
I have almost always worked to supplement income. My husband is a freelancer and income can be very variable. I've done any number of things, sometimes in combinations. I've done childcare in my home, tutoring, educational consulting and "homeschooling" someone else's child,transcript proofing, magazine editing, and lots and lots of freelance writing.

Sometimes, it works wonderfully. Other times, it's too much or too deadline intensive and I need to pull back.

Often, my income is not necessary. But there have been enough times when we've been very, very grateful for it that I try to keep those avenues open.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

MicheleQ wrote:
Elena,

I developed my first planner when my dh was unemployed. His work situation has improved since then but not so much that we don't need the business income. It it the perfect fit for us.

Oh Michele, it's nice to see the "face" to go with the planner. I've just started using my third one!   I love them very much!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Hi Elena

I have always worked outside or from home to supplement our income. When we found out 7 years ago that we were having high risk twins, my husband had just gone back to school. I worked as long as I could but when the twins were born I gave up the CPA stuff as I had 3 children under 3 and two with significant medical needs. But we were desperate so I tried all sorts of things such as selling books, writing business plans etc - had real fun but they did not bring in much money. When the twins were a year old, I was very blessed to meet up with a former employer who offered me CPA work from home - I worked on a contract basis for the first year which suited me with the kids still young and quite sickly. He then put me on his payroll and I work now on Saturdays and some evenings. I was not homeschooling until last year (my kids were in parochial school) - and it has taken some organization to get everything done - especially when our fourth blessing was born. With all honesty I do find it tough - just sheer exhaustion at times and I get irritable sometimes as I would like the time to sew or scrapbook or nap!! But we need the income and I am lucky to have the arrangement I do. I thought I would lose the job when I told him I was going to be homeschooling - but I get the job done so it has worked out ok. I am not sure how I will manage if we have the 5th blessing we are praying for - but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Blessings

Marilyn in VA
Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Joelle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Joelle

Hey Marilyn, I gave up the CPA stuff too! They did allow me to work part-time, but the demands were so great from my clients & trying to stay on top of my specialty was just too much when I added homeschooling.

Elena, I worked in the beginning of our homeschooling journey as a CPA. Then I did youth ministry for about 5 years (employed part-time by our church) until I was expecting #4. Since then I have only volunteered in youth ministry, and not done anything to supplement, but we REALLY feel that. My friend teaches a few classes at the community college here and I've considered that--I think the initial time investment is pretty hefty, but once you have a semester or so under your belt, I understand it gets easier. She also teaches on-line courses and seems to enjoy both. Something to consider.

Peace, Joelle
Mom to 5 (ages 10mos-10yrs)
Back to Top View Joelle's Profile Search for other posts by Joelle

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Dawnie wrote:
I've considered doing something like Pampered Chef to help out, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

This is something I'm curious about.

My observation of friends with these sorts of businesses is that they were not people who understood business well. There was too much investment in inventory that didn't sell or had a low profit margin, too many discounts for friends, too many free products, too much using the inventory without paying themselves. My friends ended up at best supporting their own hobbies (especially Creative Memories).

I think Michelle Q has a good point about looking for a niche. If you aren't someone with a head for business, I would look for something where you are just working for someone and getting paid. Just my two cents from observing those around me and having fun chats with Bill while he is in business school.   

Good luck.

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Dawn and Rachel,

I was a Pampered Chef consultant when my first child was a baby and gave it up when pregnant with baby #4.

This past spring I have revisited the Pampered Chef as income potential.

This particular direct sales company is quite good. No inventory. Low investment and they are very generous with their hosts and consultants. If you host a show and use your credits, you can purchase your kit for $60. The $60 is almost always earned back on your very first show. You do six shows and if it is not for you, then you have $300 worth of products for your kitchen. The average earnings for a show is $90-$100. Depending on how many shows you wish to do (and people are willing to book), there is certainly earning potential.

I also dabbled in Shaklee a few years ago. The products are fantastic, but the business was not for me. The shipping costs were quite high. It did not take me long to decide that I would much rather be a customer than sell the products. Pampered Chef was a much better fit.

I am finding the only obstacle for me is finding (distraction free) the time to call hostesses. Each hostess is to receive three contacts from the consultant by showtime. Also, calling guests and potential hostesses is strongly encouraged.   Despite the phoning/marketing, doing the actual job of being a consultant is not really difficult. Submitting orders is a piece of cake compared to when I started in '98 when orders were submitted by snail mail and manually ordered as opposed to now where the orders are submitted easily via home computer.

It is one of those "you get out of it what you put into it" things. If you are willing to set a few evenings each month to leave the house and an hour or so each week to do marketing/hostess coaching, it can be worth it.

If anyone is curious about TPC, feel free to p.m. me or visit my Pampered Chef website.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

This is my 13th year of homeschooling and I have always worked outside the home. I am one of the few in our homeschooling groups I was the only one who works outside the home. I often tell anyone I can if you don't have to, DON"T. For those who are like us and have to though,it is hard but yes it can be done. I have a wonderful husband who helps out a lot. For the last 5 years my work schedule has been that I go in at 2am and work till 7am, that way we could start school by 8:00am. Last year I finally was able to change it to two 12 hour days Tuesdays and Saturdays. My husband has tuesdays off and he can over see school for me. But this has cut out a lot of activites we would like to do on Saturdays. The only good thing is that by working outside the home, my work is left at work I don't have it at home to interfer or to "nag" at me that something needs to be done. Those 2 days belong to work but the other 5 belong to the family. (just to let you know I work at a hospital in HIM)

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I haven't worked outside the home since I taught public school but this year I think the course I am going to take will result in being able to scuba dive, Marianna will probably go along, she's old enough now and has physically matured enough this year that my diver husband isn't as concerned about lung development issues.

Then I may take up cleaning boat bottoms - literally taking a scraper down and knocking off all the barnacles. Pays very good down here but the work is physically demanding - I'm looking at it as a great calorie burning activity that sure beats the gym!

If you do get scuba certified and take it far enough, eventually you can teach classes etc...etc...but I'm not that interested in that aspect but might work for somebody else!

Just another example of niche filling!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I just started an Arbonne business in June. I tried Pampered Chef 2 years ago, but it was (for me) too much time & not enough money. One of my best friends, a homeschooling mother of 4, started an Arbonne business last year and in 11 months she doubled her husbands income as a pharmacutical rep. My other best girlfriend, a homeschool mother of 5 started her Arbonne business in February and in 5 months matched her dh's income in computer support w/an oil & gas firm.

I know both of these girls personally or I would be very skeptical. I started in June and am very pleased with my success already. My dh has owned a successful lawn business when we were first married and then sold it for profit. For the last 5 years he owned a fence business that totally supported out family, so he has a head for business & he was the one who saw the value in the Arbonne business. Last year he took a job w/the phone company b/c we needed insurance & self insurance is OUTRAGEOUS and good luck finding a company that covers maternity But, we took a pay cut.

Here's the difference with the Arbonne business I'm doing...I do not do parties or retail sales. I would be happy to explain this to anyone if you wanted to pm me. I'm not trying to sound like a commercial or spokesman for Arbonne, but in the last 3 months, my dh & I have actually started to dream about things again...being out of debt (we owe very little, but debt is debt),a new swingset in the backyard, vacations...I'm trying to temper my enthusiam while typing this so I don't sound like a corny infomercial

Jenny

Sabrina
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 28 2006 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Sabrina

Hi Moms,

I had been an exclusive stay at home mom until my hubby went into ministry school about 3 years ago, and to help him, I began to look for a way to work from home. We looked into many different things, but most of them were expensive to get started, and I still had to go outside the home.

After looking for about a year and a half, we did finally find Stayin Home and Lovin It. I've been with them for over a year working completely from home around the needs of my family, and it has been wonderful! You can request free information through my free website at www.trentandsabrina.com
Back to Top View Sabrina's Profile Search for other posts by Sabrina

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2006 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I missed this thread. Does anyone else ever wonder how they miss threads???

I had to work when the three older ones were little. I carried the health insurance for the family and that was the health insurance that delivered four of my five babies. I only worked part-time and we had to best grandmotherly babysitter in the whole world . She was a blessing and my children remember her so fondly.

Then my dh did freelance with insurance during our first year of hs so he kept the kids while I worked in the mornings then we'd switch-off.

After #4 was born I quit work---during a very stressful time---to stay home. I've never looked back. I did work awhile for an adoption agency after having #4 but that was more of a ministry to me and I was able to bring the children with me to the office and hs inbetween office duties.

Helping relieve our dhs of the struggle of making ends meet is...er...even biblical. While I do believe our first job is to be there for our children, we are also called to be our husband's helpmate through life.

Our material-times have seeped into our households and at some point all of us have had to or will have to look into doing some type work at home.

Right now I'm fortunate to be doing something I love and making a little money at it. Not enough to survive, mind you, but every little bit helps. My little nest egg pays for our school needs, our book habits ,and other extras. Covering the school expenses alone is worth the time...not to mention the fact I would be writing anyway so why not make some money at it.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version