Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Study of the Popes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 01 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Has anyone studied the Popes in depth for school. I realize this would cover more than 1 year. If you have, how did you cover them? a few a week or monthly. What resources did you use?

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We haven't done the pope's in depth, but we have studied them in context of the time period studied. So for instance, we have a chart of the Popes from Dumb Ox and as we looked at ancient Rome, we noted the number of Popes that were martyrs. In the early church, being called to be Pope meant almost certain martyrdom - and many had very, very short tenures as Pope.

Same thing when we studied the Middle ages - we took a look at some Popes that stood out. Just an idea from someone who hasn't done the depth that you are talking about. Hope this helps.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jenny,

What are your children's ages? Janet's approach is good, because popes play a role in history...so whatever period you are studying you can peek at the popes of the time and the influence (whether negative or positive) of the papacy at the time.

Are you thinking of studying the popes individually as persons, or the history of the papacy which includes the biographies?

For ideas on individual studies, don't miss John Paul the Great Unit Study put together by Nancy Brown, Cay Gibson and Maureen Wittman for Heart and Mind Magazine.

I'm not familiar of any material for children, so much of the material I'm suggesting will need to be digested by you and given to your children in a different form, depending on their comprehension level. I have not done this with my son yet, as he's too young, but I have a few resources I'd thought I'd mention:

Catholic Encyclopedia is a great source to find entries on popes until 1920s.

Catholic Pages has a compilation of books and articles on different aspects of the Popes, including links to the Catholic Encyclopedia entries.

After the death of John Paul II, there was a lot of interest on the papal elections, the conclave, etc. Some links from here.

Pope Chart has the poster of all the pictures of the popes, based on the portraits in the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls (San Paolo fuori le Mura) in Rome. They also offer a book of all the popes.

Studying some of the churches and locations in Rome where the popes have resided or are considered papal churches would be an interesting addition to your study.

Some books to recommend:

Popes Through the Ages by Joseph Brusher, S.J., Copyright 1959. OOP, goes to John XXIII. Excellent resource, 1 page of text and 1 portrait for each pope. Solid material.

Two other books I've picked up that text will have to be screened, but the photos are incredible are

The Papacy compiled by Paul Johnson
Saints and Sinners: A History of the Popes by Eamon Duffy.

Papal Encyclicals is a wonderful resource to find the teachings from the popes back to 1216. This isn't a complete list, but helps to see what were the issues of the time. Some of this was based on a 5 volume set by Sister Claudia Carlen Papal Encyclicals. But this doesn't include all the Bulls and other historical documents.

The following book is very hard to find and expensive to buy, but it might be in your library. The Church Visible: The Ceremonial Life and Protocol of the Roman Catholic Church by James-Charles Noonan, Jr. Great information on Vatican and Papal life and ceremony, historical and present.

To me, a study wouldn't be complete without incorporating the food. There's a great book called Buon Appetito, Your Holiness by Mariangela Rinaldi and Mariangela Vicini. Gives some interesting historical material on some popes, also some suggested recipes, some actual favorites of the pope. I don't like that it includes Pope Joan as a historical fact, but the other offerings are delightful to read.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One more book, but I'm sure it isn't too helpful, as we picked this up in Rome. But it's called The Popes: Twenty Centuries of History by the Pontifical Administration of the Patriarchal Basilica of St. Paul, printed by the Libreria Editrice Vaticana. I couldn't find the book listed on the site, though. This uses the portraits from the St. Paul Outside the Walls and a small biography, and ends at John Paul II (printed in 2002).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

We have the Pope Chart that Jenn mentioned and highly recommend it. Even if you're not doing an in-depth Pope Unit Study, it is really handy to have on the wall for whatever historical period you're studying---you can simply go to the wall and look up, by dates, the name of the reigning Popes and their thumbnail bios. We've found it to be immensely helpful!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kelly wrote:
We have the Pope Chart that Jenn mentioned and highly recommend it. Even if you're not doing an in-depth Pope Unit Study, it is really handy to have on the wall for whatever historical period you're studying---you can simply go to the wall and look up, by dates, the name of the reigning Popes and their thumbnail bios. We've found it to be immensely helpful!

A helpful hint...place posters on foam board to give it a longer life. Our family had a foam board of the Popes...I have to admit it doubled as a puzzle board and game board, but we did learn a few things about popes in the meantime.

I remembered another book that might be helpful, if not at least beautiful. Of course, it's OOP (aren't all my suggestions?). It's called Our Glorious Popes by the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. It's the lives and times of Holy Roman Pontiffs who saved the Church during great crises for Christendom. Each chapter has a lovely illustration.

St. Peter through St. Leo the Great
Pope St. Gregory the Great
Pope St. Martin I
Pope St. Zachary
Pope St. Gregory VII
Pope Innocent III
Pope Boniface VIII
Pope Pius IX
Pope St. Pius X

I can't really endorse the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart now because of their connection with Father Feeney, but if you can find a used copy, I'd recommend it.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version