Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Science fair carnival for the kids? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I wrote a post today about homeschool science and it left me wondering what everyone else is doing this year - these days - for science.

Then I thought, it might be fun to do a Science Fair carnival for the 4Real kids at some point this fall or winter! Just like a real science fair - the kids could all prepare their project/presentation and then we could post them at our blogs on a given day as a "carnival." We don't happen to be doing a "real" science fair with our IRL support group , but this might be a fun way to do one as a group and let our kids in on all the carnival fun.

What do you all think? Would there be a better way of doing this? The thought just popped in my head, so I'm sure there are details I'm not considering.

Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else would be interested!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hey, Dawn, I don't know yet if my kids will go for it, but this sounds like a fabulous idea!!! Since I'm weakest in science, I'll have to think of ways to sell this idea to them, but will let you know if there are any takers here! Maybe the blogging aspect of it will excite them enough to participate. Thanks for thinking of it.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Sounds like a lot of fun...the boys are major science fans here!!

God Bless!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Sounds like fun. Would there have to be those big display boards like in a science fair, or would photos suffice?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

lapazfarm wrote:
Sounds like fun. Would there have to be those big display boards like in a science fair, or would photos suffice?

Theresa, for some reason this cracked me up.

Dawn, it does sound like fun. My boys are very interested in science and I think they would enjoy seeing what other homeschooling dc are doing. I've never been to a science fair though, so I don't know what kinds of things are presented. And would it be for a certain age range?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Cheryl wrote:
lapazfarm wrote:

Theresa, for some reason this cracked me up.

Dawn, it does sound like fun. My boys are very interested in science and I think they would enjoy seeing what other homeschooling dc are doing. I've never been to a science fair though, so I don't know what kinds of things are presented. And would it be for a certain age range?

Any ages - any ideas - whatever anyone wants to do! I have never been to a science fair either, Cheryl. I wasn't really thinking about any kinds of rules. I have no idea what we'll do - but I know the kids will get a real kick out of "doing a science fair"! And I know they'd love to see other families' science projects too.

I think I'll talk to my boys about it - what would they like to do? We'd choose a project of some kind (we may even use a display board - I love those! ) but it could just be sharing the science notebooks so far, talking about and showing photographs from an experiment, or letting the kids say in their own words what they are learning in science this year. Anything!

I'm glad people are interested. Please share your ideas! We could choose a date this fall (like November) OR if it's easier after the holidays (like January). We could pick a date and then all just post that day - maybe posting links here that you did something. OR we could do it as a full out carnival with someone hosting and everyone sending in links to that person.

If you think you'd be interested, please add to this thread - and any ideas for science fair (particularly virtual ones ) would be great to hear!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We will do something. I have been to a good many science fairs, had my students enter them, and judged a few fairs as well. Never had my own children enter, though. This should be fun!
btw,Dawn, when will your next Field day be? We don't want to miss that, either!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

lapazfarm wrote:
btw,Dawn, when will your next Field day be? We don't want to miss that, either!

I was originally planning late October, to keep to the 2-month spread, but perhaps sooner than that?! I think people will be back to doing nature study through the early fall and maybe there will be more to talk about - like end of September? I don't want to be pushy, but Field Day is lots of fun to do!

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

I love the idea! The kids are in the kitchen right now mummifying apples.

As for Field Day, I vote for once a month until December (too cold, plus the holidays) and then maybe restart in the Spring (say end of March or early April) but I don't want to sound pushy or anything.

Blessings!
Krisann

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

stefoodie wrote:
Since I'm weakest in science, I'll have to think of ways to sell this idea to them,

Stef,

You're not weak! You've got the whole kitchen chemistry part down!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

shartlesville wrote:
As for Field Day, I vote for once a month until December (too cold, plus the holidays) and then maybe restart in the Spring (say end of March or early April) but I don't want to sound pushy or anything.

Blessings!
Krisann

Krisann, if there were enough people who wanted a monthly Field Day, I'd be happy to do it! Maybe with one mid-winter Field Day just for indoor nature study and/or southern climates?

Well, I might start with a late September one anyway and if the same level of interest remains I will see about squeezing in a couple more before the holidays ...

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Well, I know that we do most of our outdoor things during the winter. The average temperatures are in the low 50s so we're loving it here in Texas. I haven't participated yet, but I would love to sometime.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I also want to add that we're also interested in the science fair. This is also our weakest area. Hmm...what should we do?

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Just now seeing this, I love this idea, sounds great!!! Let us know when you think ofa date, etc. Thanks so much Dawn, you're awesome!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

When do you all think we should do it? I was thinking November, before the holidays, but if you think that is too soon, we could do it in early January.

What does everyone think?

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Before the holidays sounds great to me. November is perfect. I dislike doing large projects over holidays.
Early january would be a real problem for projects that involve taking data over time (like growing plants, etc) because they would have to take data over holidays, which is something I personally would like to avoid.
Just my thoughts, of course.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Just saw this as I'm catching up on all the wonderful posts while I was off in that Flatter than a Pancake State with my sis. Dawn, we'd love to participate in a Kids' Science Fair! Sounds like a blast!

Regarding the Field Days, I'm with KC, great temps for us + lack of storms = more outside science fun! Also, we'd love to see some of you cold country folk outside doing snowy cold weather science! Winter birds and mammals, snowflakes, snow ice cream, Beach/wood walks in winter. Great contrasts that I've been anticipating and would miss...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I'm a little late to the thread, but count us in! My 9 and 7 yo were both enthusiastic, and November would be good for us.

As for Field Day... I vote for keeping it up during the winter. Our winter starts about October 15 here anyway and doesn't end until June 1, so if we did nothing in cold weather we wouldn't do anything at all ! Last year we had a lot of fun identifying animal tracks (and scat) in the snow. This year I also fully intend to study SNOW. (You have to go with your strengths. The mice are already moving into the house, so I'm thinking this means we may make up for our "warm" winter last year...)

--Angela
Mom to 3+2
Three Plus Two
Wild Things
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

We'll do this, too.

Since I've never done this...what exactly do you need?

I'll go check out your blog.

Thanks! Neat idea!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2006 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

OK!

Re ~ the science fair. How does Wednesday, November 8th sound?

How should we do it? We could run it like a regular carnival (someone hosts and gathers links) OR we could just all post our science fair projects on that specific day (the 8th) and then post our links here in this thread. That way all our posts are all up on the same day?

If we did it that way - we all post on the 8th - I could on that day round up and list on my blog all the blogs that have a science fair project up at their blog. I guess that makes it a carnival doesn't it? I think I need more coffee! Whatever you all think would work best is fine with me!

Now, re Field Day ~ I agree Field Day should continue through the winter. There is so much to do inside *and* outside at that time of year! I am eager to do it more often, maybe once a month - or every 5 weeks - if the interest is there.

September 24
October 30
December 4
January 8

and so on.

I'll post at my blog about the next Field Day soon. Let me know your thoughts on the Science Fair!

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version