Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Elegant Simplicity for your wardrobe? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

I had a conversation with my sister yesterday about waging war on frumpiness. I just loved that "frumpiness" thread from a few months ago. That discussion along with the great threads about Elegant Simplicity in the home, have made me start thinking about making a plan to "manage" my personal appearance in a manner similar to the way I manage my home.

Chari stopped by in the midst of our conversation and joked that I should start yet another "Elegant Simplicity" thread on the subject of clothing. I know I am risking overkill, but I just couldn't resist, as I'm sure this group has plenty of inspiration.

Personally, I plan to start wearing more skirts at home. Something about a skirt and casual shirt feel much more feminine and pulled together than jeans (or worse, yoga sweats...which were my post partum uniform last year!) I am also planning to limit my wardrobe to fewer, but nicer choices, much like am a doing for my children. Makes getting dressed in the morning much "simpler" and hopeful more "elegant" too! My sister is keeping aprons handy, to keep shirts clean and free from those ugly grease-spots. Simple and smart!

So, what are you all doing/striving to do? Is your wardrode Elegantly Simple??

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I think this is a great topic. The cooler weather here has started my sister and I talking about this very thing. She just had a baby and she's coming today to pick up the clothes I borrowed from her right after I had Rachel. Now I'm down to my own clothes. It seems that my shirts are shrinking or maybe I used to like them shorter and tighter? Anyway, I want to hear all the ideas you have. (I've been thinking about starting to wear an apron in the kitchen too.)

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

This is an interesting topic to me, as I feel like the frump of frumps. Obviously I need to improve/update/something my clothing choices, but I keep thinking that I only deserve new clothes after I've lost "enough" weight. In the meantime I feel very ugly, frumpy, down on myself because of how I look. I realize that only part of what I don't like about my appearance is due to weight; maybe even more is because I don't have anything to wear that isn't so old and out- of- it that it just depresses me. I do want to lose maybe 20 pounds, but in the meantime I would love some help deciding what limited things I should get (buy or sew) that will be the most bang for my buck and allow me to feel better about how I look, which may in turn actually be more of an encouragement to look even nicer by actually taking off the pounds... (in the best tradition of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie .... even though giving ME a cookie is not recommended ...)

Looking forward to some good reading on this topic..

Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Nancy, I can so relate! I have had the same 20 pounds to lose for way too long. I told my sister that I need to A) loose 20 pounds immediately, or B)buy some clothes that fit! This standing at my closet for 20 minutes, staring at everything that doesn't fit and then pulling on my same horrible yoga sweats or ugly jean shorts is just NOT working.

A good question is, are you actively losing/trying to lose weight right now? If so, I might wait a bit before purchasing. However, if you are like me and there is a good chance that your size won't be changing quickly, then I would recommend a couple flattering skirts and t-shirts. Old Navy has a few cute ones right now, and I was also told to check out TJ Max. I have seen that a flattering casual skirt and shirt can look nice on just about anyone. This is my strategy for the short term. And to avoid giving the mom a cookie, or a bag of chips!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Spring is here and I have just come out of maternity clothes as well. When I pulled out all my clothes excited to be getting back into non-maternity items I became depressed. They all looked so worn and out of date. In the past I have thought I'll have to get some new clothes and never do and continue to be unhappy.

A tip: throw out all your clothes that you dislike, never wear and more importantly make you feel unattractive and THEN go shopping. If you don't get rid of them first you won't make yourself shop. (unless you actually like shopping )

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I bought a knee length, elasticized, black matte jersey Ann Taylor skirt at the outlet for $25. It feels like yoga pants and looks nice with my extra 20 lbs, imho.    As I lose the weight, it will only look better.

I want one more like that and two longer skirts for later fall. Tops I plan to buy from the Sports Authority. Some colorful, not too fitted, yoga-type tops that look nice, wash easily, and cover spit up stains.    I have a couple of aprons that match the clothes I wear so they feel more like an outfit when I put them on.

We each have 4 everyday but nicer (daily mass worthy) outfits and 1 for Sundays. Since we're always doing laundry anyway, it works out well.    

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Rachel, I'm curious about your aprons! What do they look like, and how do they match? I have 2 inherited 50's style smocks from my grandma...they are lime green and orange/yellow. I think they are cute and retro...but they definitely do not match anything else! And they certainly don't make me look any more pulled together at home!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

My mom has great apron pattern with no ties (it crosses over in back), that has full coverage in the front and also covers my backside where I tend to wipe my hands. Last year I picked the fabric and asked for it to be sewn for my birthday.    It's an old but easy pattern that I've made myself a few times.

I have 2 that I wear regularly. Right now I have bright blue, black, and pink tops, and the aprons are 1) black background with bright '70's flowers and 2) a sort of deep rose with a design in black. What happens is that, since only your sleeves and neckline show, the apron ends up layering onto the outfit like a sweater over a contrasting top, KWIM?

Also, they are long, so when I'm pregnant they work well too.

My mom wore the same pattern of apron all through my childhood. It keeps you warm in the winter, and many times on hot summer days she would wear it without a shirt while she made tortillas and was more modest than most "ladies" out there today.

Can you tell I love my apron? Now that I'm getting patterned shirts I'm thinking of making some in solids. I can share the pattern if you're interested.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

ShawnaB wrote:
I have 2 inherited 50's style smocks from my grandma...they are lime green and orange/yellow. I think they are cute and retro...

These sound great!! Why not buy black or a deeper or lighter shade or green, orange, or yellow tops to go under? When you wear the apron, spots end up being less of an issue on a solid top, I find.   

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rachel May wrote:
My mom has great apron pattern with no ties (it crosses over in back), that has full coverage in the front and also covers my backside where I tend to wipe my hands. Last year I picked the fabric and asked for it to be sewn for my birthday.    It's an old but easy pattern that I've made myself a few times......

Can you tell I love my apron? Now that I'm getting patterned shirts I'm thinking of making some in solids. I can share the pattern if you're interested.

I'm interested, Rachel! I'm always having problems with wiping on my backside...wherever my apron ISN'T.

BTW, the skirt you had on was so practical but lovely.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ElisabethGrace
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote ElisabethGrace

Here (I hope) is a previous post about aprons:

Aprons

I love aprons too! I've started sewing more often & different aprons are on my list of things to try. I'm definitely not an accomplished seamstress, but I am trying new things!

Angela
Back to Top View ElisabethGrace's Profile Search for other posts by ElisabethGrace

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I agree with so much that has been said and last year really worked on doing all the same things. My two cents are this.

Switch over completely to skirts. This in general just simplified my closet. But, the biggest thing was that I only needed 4 pairs of shoes in the winter. I always had the "right" shoes because all my shoes when with skirts and all my clothes when with black or brown. It was wonderful and was one area that I had never felt like I had together before this. (In the summer I did the same thing, but I did have a few more pairs in different colors)

The second thing is to only buy clothes that I really liked (I allowed myself to shop in other areas that just the clearance rack) and I ONLY BUY OUTFITS. Now I buy allot less clothes, but I like what I wear much better.

In this same vane. I have also tried to view my outfits as disposable. When I buy an outfit I only planning on wearing it this season, if the following year it is still in style and it fits I can keep it or I pass it on. In this manner, as I pass through different stages of clothing (maternity, post-partum, lost some weight but not all) I don’t accumulate a lot of clothes that I don’t like or don’t fit great.

My closet is only filled with clothes that I like and clothes that fit. Granted it is pretty sparse in there, but I definitely dress much better now and am happier for it.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Betsy wrote:

My closet is only filled with clothes that I like and clothes that fit. Granted it is pretty sparse in there, but I definitely dress much better now and am happier for it.

Betsy

I love it! Same story over hear. All summer I wore prairie skirts (from Walmart) & nice quality matching knit tops from Appleseeds. When it's cool, I wear a crochetted sweater. I bought a black, beige, and sage green one from Kohl's & somebody gave me a white one. I have one pair of dark brown (Naot) sandals that go with it all. That's my summer wardrobe.

I'm amazed at how quickly I get ready to go out these days. Whenever we're trying to figure out how long things will take my DH will say, quite emphatically, "But you're still not ready." So I say "And how long does that take these days?" Then he says "Oh that's right, 5 minutes."!! I love that everything matches & there are very few choices so there is virtually no decision-making. That was the part that used to take me forever!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Do you find it comfortable to wear skirts? I've never really thought about this option. For everyday Fall bottoms I usually wear jeans or nylon pants with sneakers or comfortable brown suede shoes or hiking boots. What kinds of skirts do you wear? What is a prairie skirt? What kinds of shoes do you wear with them? Do you sit on the floor and change diapers in a skirt?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

Cheryl wrote:
Do you sit on the floor and change diapers in a skirt?

Well, I would have other issues with sitting on the floor these days(creaky joints!). But back in the day, when I was a young mom, I had no problem sitting on the floor with the kids. In fact, I always felt more modest being cross legged on the floor in a flowy skirt than in pants.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Cheryl wrote:
Do you find it comfortable to wear skirts? What kinds of skirts do you wear? What is a prairie skirt? What kinds of shoes do you wear with them? Do you sit on the floor and change diapers in a skirt?

Skirts can be as comfy as jeans but much nicer if you pick something you really like and looks good on you. First look at your body style before picking the skirt. I'm average height so I go with either knee length or tea length skirts. I'm apple shaped with no defined waist so I can wear a gentle A line in a flowy fabric or a longer straight skirt that isn't too tight to sit on the floor comfortably.

I have brown Naot clogs and black Hanna Andersson clogs to wear in winter with longer skirts and cotton tights, and nice brown Merrell and black Clarks sandals with shorter skirts for the summer. When I'm feeling funky, I wear my converse sneakers, and when it's raining I wear Cinnamon Girl flip flops.   

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Cheryl wrote:
Do you find it comfortable to wear skirts? I've never really thought about this option. For everyday Fall bottoms I usually wear jeans or nylon pants with sneakers or comfortable brown suede shoes or hiking boots. What kinds of skirts do you wear? What is a prairie skirt? What kinds of shoes do you wear with them? Do you sit on the floor and change diapers in a skirt?

There are several past threads that you would find helpful. Do a search using the word "modesty".

As far as wearing a skirt goes, it depends on the skirt. I move much better in full skirts than I did with pants. They are also much more comfortable & much more feminine. I always feel pretty & pulled-together. I never have to change to go out somewhere. I'm in my "going out" outfit all day.

Prairie skirts are those in-fashion skirts that have the gathered tiers - very full & comfy. I knew I was sold the 1st time I cleaned toilets in a skirt! Yes, I also do diapers.

I usually wear sandals in the summer & sometimes runnning shoes or white leather kids. In the coldest part of the winter, I wear fleece-lined hiking boots with leggings underneath my skirt. I usually add a slip as another layer & am always toasty, toasty, toasty.

Believe me, changing over was a process & took awhile. My closest friends all wear skirts & we were a great support to each other. Beware though - it is truly life-changing! For the good, I will add!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

rose gardens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote rose gardens

Best advice I remember from my years of reading fashion magazines: when you find something you really like that fits well, buy it in several colors. I follow that advice and it really helps simplify clothing.

I usually buy basic, neutral bottoms that mix and match well with various tops. Solid colors or a simple print in fabrics that feel good seem most elegant to me. I also look for clothes that don't require dry cleaning.

Betsy wrote:
The second thing is to only buy clothes that I really liked ...and I ONLY BUY OUTFITS. Now I buy allot less clothes, but I like what I wear much better.

In this same vane. I have also tried to view my outfits as disposable. When I buy an outfit I only planning on wearing it this season, ...

I like Betsy's idea of buying outfits, as my favorites clothes often came as separates from the same clothing line. But unlike her, I view clothing purchases as investments. I like to buy better quality clothes, and I calculate an item's cost based on cost per wear. Thus an expensive item that I wear often usually costs less per wearing than a cheaper item that doesn't feel or look as good to wear. (And having stored my previous high quality maternity clothes, I was spared of the horrible, form fitting and midrift bearing trendy maternity styles of last year.)

Wearing clothes that properly fit (regardless of what size) is an important part of looking pulled together and elegant. I recently lost some weight put on in the last two pregnancies, and am still trying to loose more. (I need to store away my loose fitting clothes quickly so a loose waste band won't subconsciously inspire me to overeat.) I wanted to find a fabulous new, basic black skirt in the size I hope to reach so that when I reach my goal weight it will be hanging in my closet ready for me to wear. But after reading Betsy's advice, I might instead look for a whole new, fabulous outfit.
Back to Top View rose gardens's Profile Search for other posts by rose gardens

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Can someone direct me to a jumper that I can nurse in and still look nice enough for church...I know some people hate them...but I love them!

God Love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 1:53am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Donna the best jumper I've gotten was from Vessels of Mercy
I actually got two, one in denim but one in a beautiful patterned corduroy.. and the corduroy one is easily nice enough for Church. But the nice thing is her clothes aren't too expensive and they're made to fit you. Mine I got for maternity wear so she raised the waistband a bit and I can wear them through the whole 9+ months. But I also got them pleated so I can also wear them not pregnant if I choose.

They just button down the front for nursing access.. but she does many options, so you might check out what she has and what she can do.

Right now I'm considering getting a new Church dress.. I have a lovely length of fabric and my things are always the last to get made (so usually don't) and I thought I might have her make me one of the vest dresses.. but have the vest be the same fabric as the dress.. with nursing slits under the vest.

Jodie
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version