Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Pope John Paul II Memorial Notebooks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 12 2005 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

alicegunther wrote:
I purchased "The Poetry of John Paul II, Roman Triptych Meditations." (Please see link above.) From "Meditations on the Book of Genesis at the Threshold of the Sistine Chapel":

Alice,

Thanks for sharing this. We were watching EWTN's "Live from the Vatican" (even though it wasn't live...we were watching the Encore presentation...I have a pet peeve with the abuse of the word "Live" on so many TV shows) last night and Father Neuhaus read this poem. I made my husband listen, as you had made me aware of it. Now I have this burning desire to purchase this book...but I'm on a budget right now, so I'm offering this up for the Pope!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2005 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Elizabeth just sent me this link to the National Catholic Register articlie Mary Ellen mentioned. We will definitely include this in our notebooks.

Thanks for the great information!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 12 2005 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Alice asked me to post this gem that I dug up today:

JPII and Marian devotion
By By María Ruiz Scaperlanda

4/17/2005

"Totus Tuus ['I am completely yours']. This phrase is not only an expression of piety [to Mary], or simply an expression of devotion. It is more," wrote Pope John Paul II in "Crossing the Threshold of Hope" (Knopf, $15) about the words that accompanied his papal coat of arms -- a golden crucifix set against a Marian blue backdrop, next to which stands a gold "M," Mary's initial.

The Pope's fervor for the Mother of the Redeemer was, indeed, more than a theology of a Marian Church, although it was that, too. It was personal. It was relational. And it effortlessly acknowledged Mary's intrinsic role in the history of our salvation -- and the modern Church. "Mary's request, 'Do whatever He tells you,' keeps its ever timely value for Christians of every age," the Pope reflected on the wedding at Cana at a general audience in 1997. "It is an exhortation to trust without hesitation, especially when one does not understand the meaning or benefit of what Christ asks."

Lifelong trust
Karol Jozef Wojtyla understood well the challenge of living this trust, even in the face of tragedy or political crisis. At the moment of Karol Jozef's birth on May 18, 1920, Emilia Wojtyla asked the midwife to open the window of their second-floor apartment. "From the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church across the street, hymns in honor of the Virgin Mary flooded the room. It was the month dedicated to Our Lady . . . 'You'll see, my Lolek [Karol Jozef's nickname] will be a great man,' she would tell friends," noted biographer Jo Garcia-Cobb. "Lolek learned his first prayers and heard his first earful of Scripture from her. The first altar he knelt at was the one his mother had arranged in the parlor of their humble apartment."

Pope John Paul fondly recalled the many times that as a child he stopped before the image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in his parish church at Wadowice. As a youth, he learned from the Carmelite convent on the hill the rich tradition of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and the Carmelite scapular. And he credited his pilgrimages with his father to the shrine of Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, a Bernardine monastery 20 miles from their hometown, with teaching him how his devotion to Mary was deeply joined to his faith in Christ. Karol Wojtyla may owe the roots of his Marian devotion to his deeply religious family and to the long history of Marian devotion in his native Poland. But he also acknowledged that it matured during his years as a factory worker during World War II. "At first, it had seemed to me that I should distance myself a bit from the Marian devotion of my childhood, in order to focus more on Christ," wrote the Pope. "Yet thanks to the writings of Saint Louis of Montfort," he added, "I came to understand that true devotion to the Mother of God is actually Christocentric, indeed, it is very profoundly rooted in the Mystery of the Blessed Trinity, and the mysteries of the Incarnation and Redemption."

Promotion of devotion
Following the lead begun at Vatican II, Pope John Paul II took every opportunity to promote devotion to Mary. In general audiences, homilies and encyclicals, he emphasized Mary's "precise place in the plan of salvation. [The Church] sees Mary maternally present and sharing in the many complicated problems which today beset the lives of individuals, families and nations," he wrote in his sixth encyclical, Redemptoris Mater ("Mother of the Redeemer"). "She sees her helping the Christian people in the constant struggle between good and evil."

Mary's title "Mother of the Church," used frequently by John Paul II, had "profound implications for how the Church should understand itself," noted biographer George Weigel in "Witness to Hope" (Harper Collins, $20). "Without being divided from it, the 'Marian Church'-- the Church of disciples -- preceded and made possible the 'Petrine Church'-- the Church of office and authority. Indeed, office in the Church has no other purpose except to form the Church in line with the ideal of sanctity already programmed and prefigured in Mary." While both complementary, Weigel added, "the Marian profile is . . . pre-eminent and richer in meaning for every Christian's vocation."

His favorite prayer
Calling the Rosary his favorite prayer, "marvelous in its simplicity and its depth," John Paul II challenged believers in his apostolic letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae to "rediscover the Rosary in the light of Scripture, in harmony with the Liturgy, and in the context of your daily lives." In order to "bring out fully the Christological depth of the Rosary," the Pope announced a new set of mysteries focused on Christ's public ministry: the luminous mysteries. "No one knows Christ better than Mary; no one can introduce us to a profound knowledge of His mystery better than His Mother," wrote the Pope in October 2002, the beginning of the 25th year of his pontificate. "Contemplating the scenes of the Rosary in union with Mary is a means of learning from her to 'read' Christ . . . and to understand His message." On May 13, 1981, when would-be assassin Mehmet Ali Agca shot the Pope during an open-air audience at St. Peter's Square, John Paul II firmly believed that Mary interceded to save his life. The first two shots hit pilgrims but missed the Pope, who had bent down to hug a young girl who seemed to be wearing an image of Our Lady of Fatima. The next shot hit the Pope in the abdomen, causing major injuries. J

ohn Paul II showed no interest in the mystery surrounding his shooting -- numerous conspiracy theories and contradictory confessions by the shooter -- biographer Garcia-Cobb noted. His interest centered not in who was behind the plot to end his life, but in who saved his life and why. "The Pope became convinced that divine intervention, through the Lady of Fatima, saved his life. The shooting occurred on the feast day of the Lady, who is believed to have appeared to three Portuguese children in 1917 in a series of six apparitions. The Pope was shot at 5:19 p.m., the exact time of day he was elected pope in 1978." Quoting the Pope, Garcia-Cobb noted, "One hand fired, and another guided the bullet."

Entrusting himself -- and each of us -- to our Heavenly Mother was an intimate and completely natural act for John Paul II. "Be our Mother. Share with us your limitless faith," wrote the Pope in one of his many prayers to Mary. "Take and keep us within your protective arms in a world that has largely lost faith and abandoned hope."

Maria Ruiz Scaperlanda, a regular contributor to OSV, is the author of "The Seeker's Guide to Mary" (Loyola, $11.95).

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2005 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Dear Alice,

Sorry I've taken so long to thank you for your generous response to my question. You were extremely helpful to me!

The question that remains is are you getting any sleep these days burning the midnight oil with a new baby in the house?! Sorry to be so off-topic, but I'm in awe...

Blessings,

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2005 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Brenda, I love you for saying you are in awe--you are too kind and give me so much more credit than I deserve! I usually get about 7 hours sleep during the night, waking up at 7:30 and officially starting school by 9 am. Oftentimes, I have wished to be more of an early bird, but this just seems to work for me. Two of my children are early risers, but, fortunately, they like to pass the time constructively. (My eleven year old actually gets up every morning at 6 am to write for an hour before the rest of us are up.)

Oh, and my new baby just turned one, so I'm no longer in that exhausted phase with a newborn.

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

materdei7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2005 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote materdei7

The entire prayer the Holy Father recited daily is as follows:

Totus Tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea Tua sunt.
Accipio Te in mea omnia.
Praebe mihi cor Tuum,
Maria.

I belong to you entirely
and all that I possess is yours.
I take you into everything that is mine.
Give me your heart
Mary

This prayer of entrustment to the Virgin Mary is the Pope's own adaptation of two invocations by St. Louis-Marie de Montfort(1673-1716)

exerpt from "An Invitation To Joy"

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2005 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

What a beautiful prayer. We will add it to our notebooks and to our daily Rosary prayers. Thanks so much for posting this. I really hope I can track down a copy of An Invitation to Joy!

Cottage Blessings

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 14 2005 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Thank you so much, Alice, for sharing your plans and encouraging the rest of us. We have been working on memorial notebooks too. As Alice suggested, the girls started with a narration of their experience of the death of Pope John Paul and a biographical narration. We already had the book Karol form Poland, so that is the biography that I had the girls narrate from. We also copied Alice's idea of a page of copywork from JPII's first words of acceptance at being elected on a page with the picture of him at the balcony. I plan to write a narration of my private audience with Pope John Paul back in 1990. I'll scan the picture I have of him blessing me and add it to my narration. I also had fun last night finding some quotes directed at young people and some about prayer and printing them with pretty borders, and in the case of the quotes on prayer, with a photo I found online of Pope John Paul in profile holding up the Eucharist. I found the quotes in a book we've had on our shelves for years, but I hadn't yet read called, The Wisdom of John Paul II. In case anyone is interested, I'll copy the quotes in two new posts. This is a work in progress, so I'm sure we'll have more additions.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 14 2005 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

JPII quote to young people:

The Church needs you. The world needs you, because it needs Christ, and you belong to Christ. And so I ask you to accept your responsibility in the Church, the responsibility of your Catholic education: to help - by your words and, above all, by the example of your lives - to spread the Gospel. You do this by praying, and by being just and truthful and pure. Dear young people: by a real Christian life, by the practice of your religion you are called to give witness to your faith. And because actions speak louder than words, you are called to proclaim by the conduct of your daily lives that you really do believe that Jesus Christ is Lord!
*****Pope John Paul II
*****Address in New York City,
*****October 3, 1979
Back to Top View teachingmom's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmom

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 14 2005 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Quotes from JPII on prayer:
(The book had these three quotes listed separately, so they may have come from different speeches made on the same day. The 3rd quote was listed as being from an address to youth.)

If you really wish to follow Christ, if you want your love for Him to grow and last, then you must be faithful to prayer. It is the key to the vitality of your life in Christ. Without prayer, your faith and love will die. If you are constant in daily prayer and in the Sunday celebration of Mass, your love for Jesus will increase. And your heart will know deep joy and peace .

.   .   .   .

When it is difficult therefore to pray, the most important thing is not to stop praying, not to give up the effort. At these times, turn to the Bible and go to the Church's liturgy. Meditate on the life and teachings of Jesus as recorded in the Gospels. Ponder the wisdom and counsel of the Apostles and the challenging messages of the Prophets. Try to make your own the beautiful prayers of the psalms. You will find in the inspired word of God the spiritual food you need. Above all, your soul will be refreshed when you take part wholeheartedly with the community in the celebration of the Eucharist, the Church's greatest prayer.

.   .   .   .

Prayer can truly change your life. For it turns your attention away from yourself and directs your mind and your heart toward the Lord. If we look only at ourselves, with our own limitations and sins, we quickly give way to sadness and discouragement. But if we keep our eyes fixed on the Lord, then our hearts are filled with hope, our minds are washed in the light of truth, and we come to know the fullness of the Gospel with all its promise and life.
*********Pope John Paul II
*********New Orleans, September 12, 1987
Back to Top View teachingmom's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmom

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2005 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Irene, these quotes are fabulous, and I would love to read the narration of your audience with the Pope if you wouldn't mind posting it.

Thanks so much!

Cottage Blessings

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2005 at 3:46am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

At various times and various places in this forum I have seen both For the Children and Every Child a Light mentioned and recommended. I'm wondering about a comparison between the two from anyone who has read them both. Do you recommend one over the other? What are the differences or are they very similar? I'm trying to decide between them for a first communion gift and for use in memorial notebooks. Thanks.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 15 2005 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here's another site with some great resources for children Faith First John Paul II

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2005 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dear Mary,

I have not seen For the Children, so I cannot really do an adequate comparison for you. Every Child a Light is a compilation of quotes from the Pope specifically directed to children. One of the things that makes the book stand out is the beautiful color photographs of the Pope visiting children during his many travels around the world. It is a lovely book and perfect for copywork or discussion with the children.

Cottage Blessings

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Yesterday I got to go to a used book sale. This is something I look forward to every year...it's a big sale at a Catholic school, and I always come home with goodies. I've been going to this one for about 12 years! My husband is an avid Penn State Fan, with season football tickets. When we first married, he kept saying he didn't understand why I kept going, especially since I had so many books, and why I would make a whole day of it (getting up at the crack of dawn, etc.). I finally likened it to his tailgater and football game -- except I only had one event a year, compared to his several football weekends. That analogy appeased him...so now our family goes together! Thanks to discussions on this list my recognitions of other authors and illustrators made this an even better year.

I gobbled up everything on John Paul II...came across some lovely coffee table books and some collections of his writing. The following in particular I thought I would share for the Notebooks. I know this will be of interest particularly to Elizabeth for her son's middle name "Karol," but I also think it really illustrates the importance of a patron saint and namedays, and how much John Paul II took this to heart. Taken from Talks of John Paul II, Compiled by the Daughters of St. Paul, 1979.
In the Footsteps of St. Charles

On Monday, November 4, [1978] the feast of St. Charles Borromeo, the Holy Father received the Sacred College of Cardinals, who presented to him their fervent and cordial good wishes for his name day. His Holiness, John Paul II, delivered the following address.

I wish to thank you heartily for the expressions of benevolence with regard to my person. Name days always draw the attention and the benevolence of those closest to us—of members of the family—upon the person who bears a given name. This name reminds us of the love of our parents, who, on giving it, wished to determine somehow the place of their child in that community of love which the family is. They were the first to address him with this name, and together with them, his brothers and sisters, relatives, friends and companions. And so the name marked out the man's path among men; among the men closest to him and fondest of him.

But the mystery of the name goes further. The parents, who gave their child his name in baptism, wished to define his place in the great gathering of love which the family of God is. The Church on earth strives continually towards the dimensions of this family in the mystery of the communion of saints. By naming their child, the parents wish to bring him into the continuity of this mystery.

My beloved parents gave me the name Karol (Charles), which was also my father's name. Certainly, they could never have foreseen (they both died young) that this name would open up for their child the way among the great events of the Church of today.

St. Charles! How often I have knelt before his relics in Milan Cathedral; how often I have thought about his life, contemplating in my mind the gigantic figure of this man of God and servant of the Church, Charles Borromeo, Cardinal, Bishop of Milan, and a man of the Council. He is one of the great protagonists of the deep reform of the sixteenth-century Church, carried out by the Council of Trent, which will always remain linked with his name. He is also one of the creators of the institution of ecclesiastical seminaries, which has been reconfirmed in all its substance by the Second Vatican Council. Moreover, he was a servant of souls, who never let himself be intimidated; a servant of the suffering, of the sick, of those condemned to death.

My patron saint!

In his name my parents, my parish, my country intended to prepare me right from the beginning for an extraordinary service of the Church, in the context of today's Council, with the many tasks united with its implementation, and also in all the experiences and sufferings of modern man.

May God reward you, revered brothers, Cardinals of the holy Roman Church, for having, on this day, together with me, wished to venerate St. Charles in my unworthy person. May God reward all those who do so together with you.
If only I could imitate him, at least partly!

I hope that your prayers, the prayers of all good, noble, benevolent men, my brothers and sisters, will help me in this.

And now, before I conclude this talk, allow me to address you particularly, revered and dear Dean of the Sacred College, who bear the same name, Charles.

We have a common patron saint and we celebrate our name day on the same day.
I reciprocate your good wishes. And I do so from the bottom of my heart, with deep gratitude.

The Dean of the Sacred College has shown me great benevolence on these first days of my pontificate. Whenever he speaks, his words are full of love and dedication; and I welcome the expressions he has addressed to me today as a sign of extraordinary support for my first steps at the beginning of my new mission. I thank him heartily.

And I pray that St. Charles, our common patron saint, will bless his person for his whole life, for all the days full of love for the Church and marked by the spirit of dedication and service which edified us all.
With my special apostolic blessing.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 16 2005 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Now, I'm crying again. My Karol is Nicholas Karol. He was born on December 21st. HIs feast day, his birthday, and Christmas all fall within three weeks of one another. We've always told him that he would have another Feast Day to celebrate the day the HOly Father went to heaven. (I somewhat sheepishly admit that when he heard the Pope died, the first thing he said was, "Should I pick pizza or chicken potpie for my feast day dinner tonight?"--the boy doesn't often miss a meal .) This is absolutely beautiful Jenn; I plan to print it and put it in his baby book. I think we'll continue to celebrate the feast of Saint Charles and add to it the feast of John Paul the Great.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2005 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I love reading the Pope's words on his name day, especially since our family is celebrating the feast of my five year old's patron, St. Bernadette! We just had a special celebratory tea prepared entirely by my eleven year old from odds and ends she found in the pantry. Today is doubly important because it is the 11th anniversary of her Baptism.

By the way, in addition to preparing the tea, my daughter created a whole menu and wrote it out for us in her best handwriting. Her theme was "The Magic Flute" because we are about to listen to a live broadcast of this opera from the Metropolitan Opera House (it airs in 15 minutes). As you can see, we like to combine our celebrations, so please forgive me for the digression! Maybe I'll post her menu in the music and art forum!

Cottage Blessings

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 16 2005 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Thanks for sharing this beautiful quote on feast days and patron saints, Jenn (And your story on Nicholas, too, Elizabeth). This connection with the name Charles has been really personal for us recently. My son, Jacob chose the name Charles as his patron saint for confirmation. He had made the decision several months ago and the Charles he chose was Charles Garnier (North American martyr). But his confirmation was last weekend, the day after the Pope's funeral. I couldn't help but reflect on how special for him to have chosen that name and now it was so linked to our Holy Father - with his confirmation close to the Pope's death. He has two patrons. Our archbishop (Chaput) is also named Charles and he commented on my son's good choice of a name. While talking to the archbishop we made the connection that his name is the same as Karol Josef Wojtyla - he is Charles Joseph Chaput. I thought that was so cool.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2005 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
While talking to the archbishop we made the connection that his name is the same as Karol Josef Wojtyla - he is Charles Joseph Chaput. I thought that was so cool.

Yes, that is "so cool"! I had to use the emoticon! And thanks for sharing about your son's confirmation. What a privilege to have a great archbishop confirm your son!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 29 2011 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

bumping this thread up -- great activity for this weekend!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version