Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: twaddle-free time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 17 2006 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

You have a MAJOR project to complete in a week. It's 95 degrees out and humid. You have 7 children to keep occupied and happy inside so you can get your work done...what do you do?

A. Let them watch Gilligan's Island Season 1 straight through on DVD.
B. Keep the TV off, hope they'll read books and play games all day.(they'll be in every 15 minutes to talk, you'll never get anything done.)
C. Post the topic and hope for good advice.

Help! What do you ladies do when you MUST get a major project done and you have 7 children ages 2-16. I don't want them to sit in front of the tube all day, but they have to be quiet and good for about 4 days. And no, they can not help me!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 17 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I admit to buying the first two seasons of Little HOuse on the Prairie once for just this purpose.    

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

"Well, just sit right back, and you'll hear a tale...."

Sorry! Couldn't resist!

I think there could be worse things than Gilligan for such a short period of time.    But that's JMHO.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 17 2006 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

If they'll can sit, I'd give the videos a whirl.

We're working on a project, also. I'm trying to ask my sister for help, as mine WON'T sit and watch.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2006 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Really?! I'm not a bad mommy? Bless you.

This board is 4 Real in SSOOO many ways!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2006 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Gilligan is our friend!LOL!
You could alternate with turning on the sprinkler and letting them play outside in that for awhile as well. That's always good for an hour or so around here.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2006 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote Alice R

I do my report writing from home and as long the TV program is somewhat sweet and has some redeeming value-I'd go with the TV. TV is not bad-it is the constant use of the TV all day that is bad.

No one is going to die from a Brady Bunch DVD marathon. But our bills might not get paid if mommy doesn't finish her work.

Did I just admit something.   

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2006 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Gilligan is on it's way from Netflix again as we speak! But for the record, there was NO tv today!

You certainly are not a bad mommy. Now if they were watching Friends, we would have to reconsider!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 17 2006 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Elizabeth wrote:
I admit to buying the first two seasons of Little HOuse on the Prairie once for just this purpose.    

After reading the first question, my immediate response in my head was, "I wouldn't necessarily recommend Gilligan's Island, but Little House on the Prairie would do."

If we have had a big project to complete, we have used wholesome videos/dvds as a babysitter of sorts too at times.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 18 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I use Stargate DVDs with my older kids...hey, it's mythology and science, right?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Nothing wrong with judicious use of tv or dvds. Think of it as a tool to be used at your discretion. We have Andy Griffith, Little House and a couple of old movies for this purpose. Veggie Tales, Signing Time and Baby Einstein for the littles. I also have a How to Country Line Dancetape which they think is hilarious.

Sometimes you just need to get something done.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Gilligan's Island in moderation works okay, but I will pull out our Little House videos today. I Love Lucy's are also a life saver when I need time to work alone.

I must be doing something right because after watching videos yesterday for several hours the children turned the TV off and asked to go on a nature walk.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 18 2006 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'll just chime in on the Gilligan's Island topic - yes, twaddle, but it was a favorite of mine as a kid. We used to then play Gilligan's Island - you know, trapped on a deserted island in the backyard. We had loads of fun and it was sparked by the watching of the show.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

We have a TV, but it is in a storage cabinet in our basement. We have to get it out and set it up in order to watch anything. This is a big hassle, so it doesn't get taken out often. Before we put the TV away, the kids were always begging to watch it, and I did use it to entertain them when I needed to get something done. Now, the funny thing is, when the TV went away, of course there was a bit of transition time, but the dc hardly ask to watch it anymore and I hardly ever *need* to get it out to get time to work on something.

This is to say that, I don't think any of you who use the TV to entertain your dc are bad mommies, BUT if it's gone, I think the kids will learn to entertain themselves. I know that doesn't help right now, when you need to get a project done this week, but I just wanted to share my experience.

Maybe it's just the personalities of my dc, or my personality, or their ages right now, or the # of dc I have right now...but they play together and alone very well. I have noticed a definite increase in imaginative play and their ability to play together and alone for long periods since we put the TV away. We hardly even think about it anymore.

I have a lot more room for books now, too.   

Dawn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Yea, but once in a while..."Monster Truck Madness" or "I Love Lucy" can be life savers!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We don't use the TV to help us get things done here either - although we have allowed an older dc who is watching dc for us to put a pre-specified video on for down time - to wind dc when we are out in the evening - a very, very rare event. Our oldest is 18, so that helps.

So what do they do when I need something done. I have my 14 yo or 18 yo girls keep an eye on them, help them get water, etc. and then send them outside to play if they are restless. I even refrain from commenting on the hose as they build their mud puddles, etc. That will keep the boys busy FOREVER and I usually fuss at them for turning on the hose because of the mud - but if I need to get something done, water play is the key!

They will play for hours with legos, trains, etc. Now, I do have a very creative 14 yo who is quite skilled at conning the littles into all kinds of games - when she knows this is asked of her. I obviously try not to do it too often and tell her how long I need this assistance. It was harder before she was old enough to do this. My 18 yo dd is fine for watching them but doesn't have the same natural nack of keeping everyone going for so long - so it was tougher earlier.

I know you said you couldn't count on any help - did you mean outside help? You said you had a 16 yo, so at least there is someone old enough to make sure the toddlers don't run in the street, etc., right? We also have pulled out the waterway type toys, allowed the boys to all jump in the bath, fully clothed while supervised, pulled out buckets and shovels and let them have at it with the hose and.... All these things do mean a bit more clean up when I'm done but it does buy me time for my project.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

TV? Who uses TV? not me...

Three weeks ago, when dealing with morning sickness AND cleaning up vomit and diarrhea from ds6 and dd1's all-night battles with a virus, my other 2 dc (who had recovered) came into the living room to find Mommy turning the tv on and pouring dry cereal onto the coffee table next to 2 sippy cups of milk (no bowls... ). This was the 3rd or 4th day I'd done this because the kids had been sick for 2 weeks and I needed an hour or so to clean the potties and wash their sheets. I thought this was fine with my healthy two dc until ds5 says to me, "Mommy, why do we always have to have tv on in the morning?"

TV? Nooooo...not me

Maddie, you just do what ya' gotta' do!

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

For the record we do not watch movies on a regular basis, which is probably why I'm feeling so guilty. We will watch a movie sometimes on a Friday during the regular school year, but most times you'll find us reading or outside.

I am in the middle of sorting every single article of clothing for every season and size for 9 people. Every other hour or so I entertain the idea of just donating it all to Goodwill and buy new (well, consignment shop new that is) every year. That's not in the budget so I MUST organize this as all closets and dressers in this house depend upon its organization. I can't take the piles of clothes everywhere !!!!

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

ALmom wrote:

So what do they do when I need something done. I have my 14 yo or 18 yo girls keep an eye on them, help them get water, etc. and then send them outside to play if they are restless. I even refrain from commenting on the hose as they build their mud puddles, etc. That will keep the boys busy FOREVER and I usually fuss at them for turning on the hose because of the mud - but if I need to get something done, water play is the key!

I know you said you couldn't count on any help - did you mean outside help? You said you had a 16 yo, so at least there is someone old enough to make sure the toddlers don't run in the street, etc., right? We also have pulled out the waterway type toys, allowed the boys to all jump in the bath, fully clothed while supervised, pulled out buckets and shovels and let them have at it with the hose and.... All these things do mean a bit more clean up when I'm done but it does buy me time for my project.

Janet

During most projects this would work wonderfully, but the thought of meltdowns and clean up is overwhelming at this point. No more messes for the rest of the week, I'm making plenty of my own.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Maddie:

I should say that TV doesn't work for us - so it isn't because of any greatness on my part. It just seems to make all mine crankier and more in need - so less would definitely get done! The only time it helps is for a brief winddown.

One thing about the mud - if they play in it and it is that hot out, they get totally doused with the hose - bath, fully clothed before coming in! That helps the mess some, but I can sure identify with not being up to the mess. Sorry it wasn't more help. I'm very, very fortunate with my 14 yo - she can keep my 3yo going all day with anything, literally. Wish we were close enough to lend you a hand! All the best on your major project and the entertainment.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version