Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: 8 month old not eating table food yet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2006 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Should I be worried yet? My dd is still only interested in nursing. All my other kids have been eating at least some type of table food by this time. With my last 2 I had delayed introducing table food until 6 months but by 8 they were eating all kinds of stuff. She has no interest whatsoever. Is there anything I should be doing or is there a time when I should start being concerned? She is on the small side so I worry that not eating is affecting her in a negative way even though she seems ok healthwise!
Hollee
Back to Top View rm4mrfrus's Profile Search for other posts by rm4mrfrus

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Hollee, there was a thread a while back about this. I wouldn't worry, the 6 month age isn't a hard and fast rule, more of a guideline. I'll bet LaLeche League has some info on later starts to solids. If I get a chance to look, I'll post the links.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Hollee,

It is pefectly normal for a child not to be interested in other foods at eight months. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends:

Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection.30,34,128,178–184

Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.185

Unique needs or feeding behaviors of individual infants may indicate a need for introduction of complementary foods as early as 4 months of age, whereas other infants may not be ready to accept other foods until approximately 8 months of age.193

Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk.194

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have had six babies.......not a single one of them was very interested in eating table food till they were 10 to 12 months. And, to be honest, I was very content with that ......as I am naturally lazy and not having to go to all the trouble to feed an infant and clean them up afterwards......and deal with the stinkier BMs.......made me happy.

I understand your concerns......just remember that all babies and kids are on their own timeline........and this time next year, she may be a little piglet   

I would just offer her food a few times a week........and one of those times, she will just go for it.....especially if you offer it to her about a half hour before you know she may need to nurse.

BTW......three of my kids at age one were 16.5 lbs, 17 lbs x2.......pretty small little creatures then.......but no more!

God bless,

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Thank you Noreen and Chari!!
I do feel more reassured now! And I will be content with that as well for all the reasons you mentioned Chari! I have no problem nursing constantly throughout the day and night....I just did not want to be doing something that might be bad for her. She is not quite as tiny as yours...she is about 17 lbs now...but my 2 yos was 11 lbs at birth and is a huge 'un so I forget what it is like to have a little 'un. (my first child was rather small..he didn't get over 20 lbs until he was well over a year)

Believe it or not, she is my 6th but we are slowly changing our parenting with each one and I also forget each time how to start solids and when, etc as I HATE that transition time anyway. I don't mind the nursing or the eating solid foods, I just don't do well with the transition. (our first child started eating cereal around 2 or 3 months and we have gradually shifted over to nothing but nursing for at least the first 6 months) I also nurse each one until they wean themselves. But it is very reassuring to read your posts and I thank you!
Hollee

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Forgot to add another question then....will it be any different introducing solids later? Do they still kind of choke on food until they get the hang of it or should I still go ahead and start out with pureed food when she does finally get around to wanting solids? What do you start out offering an older child? She already has 4 teeth.....
thanks!
Hollee

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

rm4mrfrus wrote:
Forgot to add another question then....will it be any different introducing solids later? Do they still kind of choke on food until they get the hang of it or should I still go ahead and start out with pureed food when she does finally get around to wanting solids? What do you start out offering an older child? She already has 4 teeth.....
thanks!
Hollee

Mine are late eaters. I find that I start the same way but move ahead much more quickly. I've never had the gag thing happen, or the pushing out with her tongue.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2006 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Well, my dc all hated any kind of pureed food! They never would have become interested in food with the standard first foods. The food had to have texture - and they liked practicing picking it up with their fingers. I remember my dc all rejecting mashed potatoes, applesuace and stuff like that until they were elementary age.

I know this is all very much against the "choking rules" actually most dc had everything on the Do Not Eat before 6 list before the age of 2.

So what did my dc eat:

Oldest was a bit more traditional - apple sauce and banana (I was being cautious), smooshed with a fork peas or green beans. But she wasn't quite so interested in that - sort of played with it and made a mess but wouldn't really eat it. She ended up eating rice more (perhaps all those Chinese restaurants from visiting dh family) and had a great time with a whole stalk of brocoli. She really gummed that one and I felt like a terrible mom that I hadn't caught when she grabbed it off someone's plate and did take it from her. But then realized she wanted solid food to eat and offered her chicken cut in very, very tiny pieces, carrots, etc.

Child 2 got an old candy off a gym floor as her first food. Again not by intent and I certainly pulled it out and threw it out. We went right to the textured food, oatios, meat cut up very, very small, vegatables, etc.

Child 3 absolutely loved ham and we went ahead and let him have it and just cut it up fairly small. We offered vegatables from the table, etc. By this time I don't think I was even cooking seperate items. They just ate what we did unless it was really spicey.

The rest were the same. The big thing was that the more dc I had, the more the baby demanded whatever was on anyone else's plate and ate it but would refuse any special food.

I will say that I always let the dc feed themselves, but I always sat at the table with them and I did cut up meat small. We didn't give them nuts and stuff like that until they were really good with table food - probably around 2)

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2006 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote Chari

rm4mrfrus wrote:

I also forget each time how to start solids and when, etc as I HATE that transition time anyway. I don't mind the nursing or the eating solid foods, I just don't do well with the transition. (our first child started eating cereal around 2 or 3 months and we have gradually shifted over to nothing but nursing for at least the first 6 months) I also nurse each one until they wean themselves. But it is very reassuring to read your posts and I thank you!
Hollee

Gee, I thought "I" was the only one who felt that way!!!

For goodness, sake, after all these babies, and being a nurse....you would think I had clue about this, and yet I still called my more experienced sil when it was time for the first FOUR babies to transition to table food. She had moved away by the time I had number five........so I just never fed him, or number six REAL food till they demanded it .....for real   

Mine also nurse till they wean themselves........oops, no, correction........eventually I have to tell them, this cannot go on forever    ............mine have never expressed any interest in complete weaning.....I wonder how long they would have really gone????

I am glad you feel better!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2006 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote Chari

rm4mrfrus wrote:
thanks!
Hollee

BTW.........what Elizabeth says   

they go much faster to finger foods..........some of mine just start on fingerfoods, if they are almost one year

Shawna, chime in here.....you are feeding TWO babes right now......

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

rm4mrfrus wrote:
What do you start out offering an older child? She already has 4 teeth.....thanks! Hollee

My daughter was nearly 11 months old before she would accept anything other than breastmilk. She has some food sensitivities still, so I think her body was protecting itself by limiting her diet. She was also a late teether; I think she had two or three teeth until she was over a year old. So different from my son. Anyway, once she started eating solids she went straight to eating whatever we ate. I don't think she ever ate jarred food, to be honest.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

I feel so much better now.....and so does dh because I was probably driving him crazy with worrying about whether I was doing something wrong or not. He kept telling me he thought it was better for her to not start foods yet especially since she is so resistant to it, but I kept worrying anyway.

I told him today that you ladies made me feel better and I wasn't going to push it anymore with her. He is VERY grateful! (I am having a harder time than I thought I would adjusting to a community with very few like minded families...so I don't have IRL friends here to bounce things off of like I used to!)

I think I used to be less in tuned to our infants because I don't remember any of them wanting to breastfeed exclusively after 6 months. I guess I just pushed the issue and thought it was them wanting food. I did have one who nursed for years (I can't remember now how old he was exactly when he weaned but he was at least 3 and probably a bit over 3! The rest have weaned somewhere between 14 months and 2 yrs.

anyway, I am just going to keep following her lead and she'll eat table food whenever she gets around to it!
thanks again!
Hollee

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

rm4mrfrus wrote:
I told him today that you ladies made me feel better and I wasn't going to push it anymore with her. He is VERY grateful!

I was so freaked out about starting solids with my first, that on her six month birthday I tried to force the issue and ended in a puddle of tears! My husband finally told me that HE would take over starting solids. I was so relieved. Do you know what he did? Nothing. Yep...nothing. This bought me several months. Eventually, she started showing signs of readiness and I would give her some mushed banana then other foods. I never did use baby food or even pureed (sp?) food. The rest of the children have followed a similar course, some starting earlier than others, but the transitions have been gradual which help me with the transition.

You are doing just great, Hollee! Hang in there and chat here anytime...I love this topic .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2006 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

You have plenty of reassurance there Hollee, but just a little more....

My last two (big boys born at 10.1 and 11 pounds) both showed NO interest until 12months and just beyond. If they were not getting enough, they would definately be showing you all the signs!!! (snatching off table etc)

Chari wrote:
I have had six babies.......not a single one of them was very interested in eating table food till they were 10 to 12 months. And, to be honest, I was very content with that ......as I am naturally lazy and not having to go to all the trouble to feed an infant and clean them up afterwards......and deal with the stinkier BMs.......made me happy.

I can totally relate to that!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version