Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: How to care for a praying mantis? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Our 5 yr old just found a bitty little praying mantis on the side of our house. We have brought it inside in a small jar with holes in the lid and put a stick in to climb on. We have been feeding him/her aphids that we pull off my rose bush. I am pretty sure he has been eating them. We would like to keep him as a pet and observe him. Is there anything else we should be doing to keep him happy? Any other advise? He is soo neat! Now if I could just figure out what a mantis egg sac looks like so I could look for one outside. I have never seen one before!
thanks for the help!
Hollee in Va
Back to Top View rm4mrfrus's Profile Search for other posts by rm4mrfrus

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2006 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

I don't know how to care for a praying mantis, but check out Pet Bugs from your local library. Or, you can purchase it from Emmanuel Books. It's a neat little book w/ information on catching and caring for a variety of touchable insects. We looked it over last year, and I remember seeing a section on praying mantis in the book. Good luck!

Dawn

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2006 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Thanks for the book suggestion Dawn! Going to see if my library will order it for me now! Although that one might be one that we need to have for ourselves!
Hollee
Back to Top View rm4mrfrus's Profile Search for other posts by rm4mrfrus

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Okay, I had to hunt for these threads. I found this one and this one.

Alice and all,
pray tell...

any information we need for caring for a praying mantis. We just found one outside before the cat and rat terrier did so we now have a new pet.

I wanted to name is Her-man (in memory of our last one and because we don't know if it's a a "her" or a "man" ). I also liked the name Carni (as in carnivorous) but the girls voted to call him/her Sam.

Alice, do you really let your pet praying mantis run loose in the house?

And does anyone know...do they really spit?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Yes, Alice and all, do tell. We found one in our garden the other day, and I was at a loss on what to do with the thing, so we didn't catch it. I'd like to be able to DO something next time.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Jenn,
I found a round fish bowl under the bathroom sink and draped a piece of clear wrap over it with ice pick holes punched in it.

I wish we had our aquarium still but it got broke when we were raising guppies in it . At least the fish bowl is clear for us to watch the show.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We kept one for nearly a year. 6 yo found it as a tiny little guy on the side of our garage. We kept it in an old fish bowl covered with pantyhose held on with a rubber band. We sprayed him with a water spritzer a few times a day and fed him aphids, then as he got much bigger, and during the winter, we would buy crickets by the dozen from the pet store and he would eat them like corn on the cob! It was gross, er, intersting to watch!

We have a book called Pets in a Jar, but I cannot recall where we found it.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Thanks, Lisa. Good info to know.
My oldest son went fishing yesterday and I saw a small container of crickets sitting by the boat this morning. What luck!

I'm not turning ours loose until I hear more from Alice. My girls don't relish the idea of finding Sam on their heads..   

I suppose we should add grass and sticks to his new den.

Here are some first photos of Sam.. The girls have already treated him to a raisin.   

mom to 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version