Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: worm bins Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2006 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I've always had a compost pile, but decided recently to have a worm bin so the kids can watch the happenings more closely, plus in the summer if you don't get the stuff (food waste) into the pile quickly it attracts flies, etc. and the pile is not convenient to the kitchen, so it sits around a few days.

We made a bin from an old rubbermaid tote, drilled lots of holes for drainage and air, added shredded newspaper for bedding, some dirt and peat moss and got red wigglers by mail. The bin is in our carport and it's currently 90 to 96 degrees daily. So far the worms look OK, but I'm worried about the heat (they're in the shade). The only place in the house that they could go would be in our basement, and then, once again, they're a bit far from the kitchen and the kids - I'm afraid out of site/out of mind.

has anyone had trouble with the heat for worms? I've been keeping the top on b/c otherwise it dries out so quickly, but if it would be better I could put a screen on top and just mist it daily to add water.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

ours are in the basement. i just gather everything up that they can eat in a bowl in the kitchen. in the evening they get taken down to the worms after doing the dishes. if there's too much waste for them they go into my lasagna bed.

some people here say the basement is the best -- not too warm and not too cold.

although.... there are also people who keep them in the laundry room, in the dining room, under the table in the living room....

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version