Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What do you watch on TV? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Is there anything you watch on TV regularly? Sherry at Semicolon has an interesting post today about Lost, which is my only regular show. I try to keep up with what PBS and some of the Discovery-like channels are offering, but other than sports we don't really watch much. I was just curious what others enjoy watching.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I should also say that I take the show with a grain of salt, but what intrigued me long ago was that they involve a lot of spiritual themes. As Sherry mentions in her post we don't know which way they'll end up going ~ is it simple fate or a question of faith? Obviously I hope the show demonstrates it is the latter. Recently I read an interview with the two producers (directors?); both men are deeply spiritual, and one a devout Catholic.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We used to watch the History Channel. My dh and ds are really into the old war movies especially. I like the fact that they often have shows which can be educational. BUT, recently they have had a ton of stuff on the Da Vinci Code and we've left it off. I feel like writing them a letter and asking them to stick with history, not fiction. Sorry about the rant but it was really upsetting to me. Other than that my dh watches sports (12 yo ds with him). I prefer a good DVD, especially an "oldie".
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

We never watch TV, but do watch movies we own or rent.

I'm always disappointed when I tune in. However, we don't have cable, so that might be why.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote momwise

No cable or dish here--but my dh and dc like war history and lots of Discovery type science shows which we check out from the library.

Much to my chagrin, my mom lets the dc watch tv whenever we are over there and they usually watch Sponge Bob, and I've been known to wander in and laugh at it.

We like America's Test Kitchen on PBS, as well as the living history shows like Frontier House.

My dh and I have always watched ER together but don't know if we'll keep watching that. And then there's EWTN, which I lamented in another post has been lost along with our broken tv, which we need to replace with another that receives a good signal for EWTN (no icon for praying incessantly )!

All in all, we watch about 2-3 hrs. per week on average.

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I watch two shows on network television, LOST and House. Both have spiritual elements that I like. I TiVo them, and watch when I have time. Once in a while I'll watch something on the Food Channel, and I usually record The World Over on EWTN.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

We watch LOST and will greatly miss The West Wing. We only get three channels (NBC, PBS, and a fuzzy whichever-channel-it-is-that-LOST-is-on). No Fox, so we have to wait for House on DVD. I loved the first season of that show.

And The Office! Cracks. Me. Up.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

We do not have a tv or reception (though you'd be amazed what we can find on-line...Olympic highlights sans commercials! ) But when we're house sitting for someone we really like to watch Good Eats and Mythbusters. Our current show we're ordering off Netflix is Enterprise and now that I've made us sound totally I'll end this post.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

We watch House, Monk, some of the reality shows; ds is a 24 fan. Lots of food network and tlc and hgtv, cooking and home decorating shows. Now that it's summer I'll try to catch Martha Stewart's show. The House finale is one show that I have to watch again. Sometimes I watch "What Not to Wear" just to see what's in because I am so out of it

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

momwise wrote:
Much to my chagrin, my mom lets the dc watch tv whenever we are over there and they usually watch Sponge Bob

Sometimes I amaze myself with how badly I express online what I mean to say. Laziness, I guess...
Of course my dc don't get free access to tv time or the clicker. But I figure if my mom's going to let them watch cable, Sponge Bob's not toooooo bad. My dad tapes Monster Garage for them once in a while.

What is House? and 24? My dh and I are looking for a new show to watch once a week although I told him maybe we should read a book together. Hey, I should start a new thread for that!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

We watch some Sci-fi if it's not obscene . Don will sometimes "Tivo" a show to cut out ads and edit if necessary. Lately, we have been watching "Big Love," the show about a polygamist Mormon family, and "Monarch of the Glenn," a sort of Scottish version of "Ballykissangel" without the Catholic bits.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

We have Dish and dh likes TV so I will often watch it with him. For years he and our older sons were 24 fans but this year they hooked me too! I had never watched Lost before but watched the finale with my oldest son - now I want to see the previous shows too!

The whole family likes The Amazing Race (we DVR it ahead of time in case we need to skip anything but it's pretty rare) and I do let my preschoolers watch some PBS.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MacBeth wrote:
Lately, we have been watching "Big Love," the show about a polygamist Mormon family, and "Monarch of the Glenn," a sort of Scottish version of "Ballykissangel" without the Catholic bits.

Big Love???    On what channel did you find that?

And what's Ballykissangel? Sorry--I don't get around the tv world much

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Big Love is an HBO series. A polygamist poses as "regular guy," and his wives all live in three houses in a row. The neighbors think that two of them are single moms. It's not a reality show, but a scripted serial sort of semi drama. Not for kids, BTW, but very interesting (occasional inappropriate scene which we edit).

Ballykissangel is an Irish series about a small village, the priest (who is English), the publican (who is an atheist), and the rest of the village. Some parts are very funny (a new confessional with a fax machine, two buffonish characters always getting into trouble); some are overwhelmingly tragic (death of beloved characters, adultery with tragic consequences, etc). Again, not for kids. I do not know if it is still syndicated here, but it is available on DVD. The scenery is lovely, and the setting has become quite the tourist draw.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Lissa wrote:

Ditto Lissa! Michael Scott is so out-of-line hilarious...I actually worked with someone just like him IRL before becoming a SAHM. And the rest of them! Did you see the finale with Pam and Jim!?!

This is the only show I watch other than Mr. Roger's neighborhood. I LOVE that man!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 2:55am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Lissa wrote:

So there is an American version of The Office? Well I never .

We have been watching the UK version of The Apprentice, Doctor Who (our weekly highlight, though too scary for our 7yo - last night's episode had people being zapped by their TV sets!), and Strictly Dance Fever (talent competition where dancers try to win a professional contract).

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MacBeth wrote:
Ballykissangel is an Irish series about a small village, the priest (who is English), the publican (who is an atheist), and the rest of the village. Some parts are very funny (a new confessional with a fax machine, two buffonish characters always getting into trouble); some are overwhelmingly tragic (death of beloved characters, adultery with tragic consequences, etc). Again, not for kids. I do not know if it is still syndicated here, but it is available on DVD. The scenery is lovely, and the setting has become quite the tourist draw.

Oh we loved Ballykissangel! Years ago when it was first on PBS we watched it every week with my parents who were also hooked! We stopped watching soon after the death, as you mention, of a beloved character, but I know they went on to make many more episodes ... I have always meant to rent the DVDs some time because it is such a wonderful show and I think we're over that death now.    The scenery and music alone ... ahhhh.

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

My husband is totally addicted to 24-I've never seen him so into a show before! We watched American Idol this season-call that a mental break since we're not usually into reality TV. I love House,too and I'm bummed that our cable company dropped EWTN. :-(

Oh and the Office is pretty funny. I really did have a boss that was JUST like the one in that show. I can't tell you how many times I rolled my eyes during that job.
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote momwise

MacBeth wrote:
Big Love is an HBO series. A polygamist poses as "regular guy," and his wives all live in three houses in a row. The neighbors think that two of them are single moms.

That's pretty interesting because when I was a kid and lived in Salt Lake City there was a very similar situation going on right in our apt. complex. I didn't know it at the time but I remember my mom mentioning it years later. I'll have to ask her about it again. So it might be based on reality (reality somewhere ).

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Rebecca wrote:
Lissa wrote:

Ditto Lissa! Michael Scott is so out-of-line hilarious...I actually worked with someone just like him IRL before becoming a SAHM. And the rest of them! Did you see the finale with Pam and Jim!?!

I cried like a baby. And then I couldn't stop replaying the scene in my mind all the next day. I am totally caught up in it!

Have you watched the British version? Equally funny. We got the whole run from Netflix.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version