Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Frugal Friday: Homemade gifts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Ok- so homemade gifts aren't always frugal. The materials and time can add up. But this week I started looking around on line for some easy and fun gifts to make, and I was really happy to find a few.

1. Homemade fire starters. I helped my dc whip up a batch of these for my dh for camping trips.

Basically, you fill empty card board tubes (from toilet paper, paper towels or wrapping paper) with cotton balls and/or dryer lint. Stand them up right and pour melted wax into the tubes. Let them harden, then wrap them in newsprint, twisting the ends tootsie roll style. That's it. Use to start a fire- the whole roll can be burned.

This was a great project for us- I used up all my leftover candles from Yule logs past . I put them in a tin can, which I then put in a pan of water on the stove. As the water boiled, the wax slowly melted. I did the wax pouring, but the kids set up and stuffed the tubes, and then they rolled them later. It didn't take long and was way easier than I thought.

The best part was that we used up several items that were headed for the trash/recycling.

2. Notecards.   My ds always laments that finding a manly thank you card is difficult. Often he will create his own by drawing a picture on a blank card. But that takes time, and sometimes he just wants to grab a card and write a quick note.

Looking at all the neat homemade cards gave me the idea to
use pictures from an old Audubon calendar we have to make ds his own set of cards (he's an avid birder- or bird nerd, as he says )

The pictures in the calendar were all in beautiful color and in various sizes, many of which were perfect to cut out and mount on a blank card.
So now I have a set of really pretty- and yet manly- set of cards for him for writing Christmas thank yous. Time it took was 30 minutes, and I did it while he was in the bath tub.

3. Ballerina snowflake ornaments:
I'll just post the link here, so you can see how cute they are!
Ballerina Snowflakes

My dd fell over with excitement when she saw these. We went through all the colored printer paper we have making these (something I thought was not humanly possible ), and then we started in with construction paper.

My dd made one for each of her ballet instructors. We paired them with a Christmas card and a bar of Lindt dark chocolate (free with coupons- I've been collecting them all fall). That made a fun gift.

I would love to make these with pretty scrap book paper- but the paper I have is only printed on one side. FYI- card stock does not work well. Oragami paper would work, but it is too small, unless you scale down the pattern.

Anyway, that is what a couple of rainy days in Advent will get you! Now back to stringing ballerina garlands around the house....

What are your favorite frugal gifts to make?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Cute, inexpensive socks and nail polish idea

Target has xhiliration cozy socks (like slipper socks without the skidproof stuff on the bottom) buy 1 get 1 50% off. Socks are $2 a pair and the NYC nail polish is $.94-$1.27 a bottle.
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

LOVE THIS!!!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Use a stiffer paper for your ballerina.. but make the snowflake skirt out of tissue paper.. being a thinner paper it's much easier to cut and so easier to make intricate designs as well.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Crocheted dish clothes or scrubbies. Cost of materials is fairly low and the time required isn't too bad. The scrubbies you can whip out several in an evening. The dish clothes take several hours but this is what I've started to do when I do want some handwork. So they're fast for a crocheting project and fairly inexpensive because of their size. And most people love to use them. And I love to make them because they are small and I can finish them up reasonably quickly.

Also have you seen the necklaces you make out of ladder ribbon? Those are fun and easy and pretty.

Soap requires adult help and planning ahead. But once you make a batch you actually end up with enough for a number of presents.. and they'll sit nicely in the cupboard and is something you can grab for an unexpected gift need. (also goes really well with the above mentioned dish cloth or scrubbie). It's not cheap. But when you consider the cost of buying high quality soaps, it's not expensive either, especially if you can get the lye in small containers.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JodieLyn wrote:
Use a stiffer paper for your ballerina.. but make the snowflake skirt out of tissue paper.. being a thinner paper it's much easier to cut and so easier to make intricate designs as well.

Oh, yeah- definitely going to do this!

What is the difference between a scrubbie and a wash cloth?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

These are just examples (there's tons of free patterns out there).. the stiches are very basic.. the scrubbie is usually a short chain looped into a circle and then you do a double or triple crochet into the circle. The dishcloth I like doing is just a bit bigger than my hand (so my hand would be covered by it) and is a simple chain 33, reverse and alternate single crochet and double crochet.. when you get to the end chain one and reverse and repeat. Then I do a single crochet around the outside edge to finish it off. By alternating the single and double crochet it gives it a texture that is nice for washing dishes.

A scrubbie is made with nylon netting.

A dishcloth is made with cotton yarn.

-Sir Walter Scott

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I bake cookies! Also, I keep Baker's Dipping Chocolate on hand to dip fruit, pretzels, marshmallows, potato chips, cookies , in and give as quick gifts. Decorate with sprinkles and festive colored sugars! YUM!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thanks for the pics, Jodie. Are you crocheting with nylon thread- from a craft store? Forgive my scrubby ignorance.

Angie- I would love to see pictures of some of your dipped creations!
I've never tried potato chips. Do you put the marshmallows on a tooth pick to dip?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

you buy lengths of nylon netting like you'd buy fabric.. then you cut it into strips and crochet those.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh! I totally forgot and then the post on making bread reminded me.

A loaf of homemade bread has been really well recieved as a gift. a small jar of homemade jelly with it sorta rounds it out.. and if you want a bigger gift you could do one of those soup in a jar (or a home canned soup) with it.

-Sir Walter Scott

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Jodie- do you give whole wheat bread as a gift?

It seems to me that whole wheat is avoided like the plague by a lot of people.
I've noticed that at parties and such whole wheat rolls and sandwiches are the last to go... if they go.

I have an awesome whole wheat bread recipe that I posted in the bread thread, but I always hesitate to give it as a gift because of the ww issue.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

SeaStar wrote:

Angie- I would love to see pictures of some of your dipped creations!
I've never tried potato chips. Do you put the marshmallows on a tooth pick to dip?

We use tongs or clean hands! I haven't done potato chips yet, but will add it to our regulars recipe here although you don't need a recipe and I'll stick with the Baker's chocolate to dip.

I'm SO terrible taking pictures but I will try to remember. Maybe I'll start a post on what others dip in chocolate! My favorite are strawberries :)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

LOL, I vaguely remembered discussing this IMPORTANT CHOCOLATE TOPIC! Bumped!

Love,

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Since the recipe I use is such awsome bread even as whole wheat, yep I do give it. People who don't like whole wheat usually don't like how heavy it is, or the texture and since I don't have issues with those with my recipe I never even thought about it.

-Sir Walter Scott

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

wooden signs.

I made these for everyone last year (it helps that dh is a woodworker and always has scraps lying about that we can use). So many excellent quotes or funny sayings or simply just make a family's surname on a sign in acrylic paints. Drill 2 holes and pull wire through for a hanging loop.

You can make all sorts of sizes and buying one long 1 X 4 piece of wood to cut up would be VERY cheap.

I was able to do nice lettering by printing off the quote I wanted and tracing it in pencil onto the wood...

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

knowloveserve wrote:
wooden signs.

Oooooo! I have a wooden sign on my front door that states "This Is A Catholic Home" with a nice font and simple detail. While I will gladly talk with the many missionaries that are in my area, I like to give them a heads up about who they'll be talking with .

Love,

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The sign idea has endless possibilities- great idea!
I'm thinking saints' quotes... my house could use a "God values obedience more than sacrifice" sign.

This weekend I put my dd to work making wrapping paper. We have an abundance of blank newsprint that has been hanging around for years .
I set up a work station with stamp pads, stamps, markers, etc and at the end we had several nice sheets that I can use to wrap gifts. That was a gift for me- plus she enjoyed it.

I also used that blank paper this year to wrap our Advent picture books.
I usually buy purple wrapping paper, but this year I had neither the time to track it down or the desire to pay full price for it. So I used the blank paper and then used a purple marker to write a quote from a saint and a simple design on the front of each wrapped package.

I am very pleased how this turned out... it is nice to sit down with a book each evening and have an extra bonus of a quote- i find myself pondering these as Advent progresses. I used the book "Quotable Saints" for the quotes.   

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Fantastic ideas. The ballerinas, the homemade cards (using all our bird calendars) and the wooden signs are on my to do list now.

I have really been enjoying creating. This year most of my handmade gifts have been from the kitchen. My debut into canning has worked so well - I made lots of pretty quilted jars of Christmas Jam and Spiced Apple Chutney. I have been giving baskets with a loaf of bread and a jar of Christmas Jam. For the bread I have an AWESOME white bread recipe which makes 5 loaves. I also make artisan bread and dutch oven bread to give with the jam. In a pinch, I have a quick rolls recipe - I can make a whole basket of rolls in an hour start to finish.

I also make boxes of cookies - same favorites year to year.

We have our W. Family Hot Chocolate Mix - which we make in layers in mason jars for gifts - it is yummy!

Some non food gifts I am making - ultra soft fleece blankets (always a hit), rice therapy bags (I am working on these for all my children for Christmas), homemade vapor rub.

For my very close friend I have typed up all my favorite prayers, novenas etc and I am using my new proclick binder to bind her a copy.

For sports sons and husband I am making muscle bath salts - with eucalptus oil.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh speaking of signs.. there's a lady here in town that does just lovely signs.. I know have two.. one is a "house rules" quote.. and the other is small and just says "Pray" (it's my word for this year).

BUT she sells at the craft bazaar our church puts on and my girls are down there all day with me. I'm in charge of the parish table that is just donations from the parish. The bazaar is on a Saturday but we leave the parish table up for after Church on Sunday morning. So we hang around and help clean and set up the hall for the Knights' breakfast the next morning. And my girls will go and help any of the vendors that look like they could use a hand with loading up their stuff, holding doors, whatever. Well they'd been looking at the signs and trying to pick one for their room. They'd picked colors but what they wanted put on the sign was.. difficult.. 3 girls 16, 13 and 12 having to agree on one saying.. well when she let me know that my "Pray" sign was ready, she asked about the girls' sign and told me she wanted to give it to them as a gift that she was impressed with how they were always the first to offer help to others. So they got their sign as a gift. They finally decided.. in reference to the new Disney movie "Frozen" they chose... "Do you want to build a snowman?" meaning from the movie.. one sister to the other - come spend time with me.

-Sir Walter Scott

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version