Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Wednesday Shout Out: Cookies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

~~~~waving hello to everyone and sending my best for a beautiful Advent season!

Today I'll be working on a blog post about Christmas cookies, so I thought I'd start the ball rolling here by asking...

Will you bake cookies for Christmas? If so, which? How many? Would love for you to share your recipes too :) (And I'll link this over to Loom and Lauder for easy searching.)

And as always....how is your week going? I'm dealing with some fatigue issues so If you could pray for that to resolve, I would be grateful. I'm an energy junky so I'm trying to remain calm...but so much to do!!!!

At Gems for a happy family you'll find an interesting article that writes about leadership using Pope Francis as a positive example. And I really like the article about how to rewire our brains -> Habit Formation!

At Family Food and Feast there's a link to Allrecipes.com cookie countdown :) plus stuff about yogurt and how to stock a holiday bar. Cheers!

Family Learning has a great infographic about innovation plus mind-mapping, and more.

And some good and basic stuff about how to jump into Twitter

Hopefully I'll be back later today with a direct link to my blog post about cookies and I would love to have your inspiration there too! Thanks for sharing.

In the mean time, you might like the post Ian and I put up last night, Wake Me Up which is our take on this popular song. We're going to try to post a song review each week, highlighting current songs with great musicality and lyrics that a whole family can get behind :)

Praying for you all and have a great rest of the week!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

mylonite
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote mylonite

Mmmm, cookies. I LOVE cookies. I like to continue a tradition that my mom had when I was a little girl - she makes a special kind of German gingerbread cookie called "peppakakur" only at Christmastime. Those cookies are pure comfort food for me.

As the kids are gluten-free and DH and I are getting there; I am going to make them gluten-free as well, using gluten-free flour. It should be An Experience because I stink horribly at gluten-free baking, but I really want our kids to enjoy these tasty gems.

If I'm feeling extra ambitious I may make gluten-free snickerdoodles. Although I'm in the throes of first trimester yuckiness, so anything that happens is a big-time score in my book.

Mama also to four in Heaven
Back to Top View mylonite's Profile Search for other posts by mylonite Visit mylonite's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I used the sugar cookie recipe from the All Recipes Magazine on Sunday to make about 50 roll out sugar cookies .   They are headed for a St. Nicholas party this week to be decorated and enjoyed. Right now they are living in my freezer .

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Well, we don't make a lot of cookies but we do bake lots and lots of squares (out in the Canadian prairies where I live they call them slices.)

When I was young, it was the family tradition to have shortbreads for Christmas. My mom would always put the dough in a cookie press so our shortbreads would be in the shapes of bells, tress and wreaths. Shortbreads in squares or balls just weren't shortbreads to me.

Even my kids expect bell and wreath-shaped shortbreads for Christmas. My mom lives 3,000 miles away but every Christmas she sends boxes of shortbreads to her all of her grandchildren. I just got the word that the goodie box will be mailed this week. My kids are giddy with anticipation.

Our week hasn't been as Christmas-productive as I had hoped. We did get the tree up on Mon. but I had 2 migraines yesterday morning so that put me down for the count. School didn't even get done the last two days. It seems that the older I get the rougher the migraines get. I used to be able to function quite well with a migraine--not anymore.

I am praying, Angie, that you are back to your usual enegy level soon.

Enjoy your week!

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

My college daughter is the cookie baker, so we probably won't have too many till she gets home. She makes Lebkuchen, shortbreads, and these unbelievable chocolate-chip-mocha cookies. And I am happy to let her.

Sally

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

tomorrow is St. Nicholas cookie (speculaas) day. I have a mold/press type of thing to use on them.

after that.. first things first.. pfeffernüsse and bourbon balls.. both should have some time to set.

After that.. gingerbread cookies, rolled sugar cookies, maybe fruitcake cookies, oh and spritz cookies.. my cookie press is broke but our favorite way to shape these are to make a pink/red peppermint dough and a plain dough and make them into candy cane shapes to bake.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

As a convert, I've always been curious about cookie-baking during Advent -- do you freeze them, box them, give them away, eat them on Sunday?   I suppose that may be a conversation for another thread Especially as I see you are talking about CHRISTMAS baking... so planning for that season, not this one.   

Wednesday was the day my youngest turned 11!   Hard to believe!   I had babies and toddlers for most of my adult life, so it's still hard to adjust to having pre-teens and up.   The birthday boy himself is not so ambivalent -- as the youngest, he doesn't mind growing up into the double digits at all

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

We freeze ours for Christmas or enjoy them on feast days.
It's fun to bring out the boxes from the freezer right before Christmas and fill plates- some to give away, some to keep.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Here's my cookie post which indirectly answers your question, Willa.

To directly answer your question, we tend to bake our cookies on Sundays and, like Melinda said, we bring them out on feast days. But mostly we freeze them until Christmas Eve! We will share plates of cookies throughout Advent (especially with our non-Catholic friends.) On the night of Christmas day, we host an Open House and provide cookies and beverages. I'm such a cookie fan that I can't imagine Advent without them!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

SeaStar wrote:
We freeze ours for Christmas or enjoy them on feast days.
It's fun to bring out the boxes from the freezer right before Christmas and fill plates- some to give away, some to keep.

Us too.

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas here without classic Spritz cookies, orange/cranberry shortbread, some kind of peppermint bark, and "Faux Roca" ( the saltine cracker chocolate recipe on the cracker box... so good!)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version