Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 30 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

We may be given a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" tablet as a "family gift". I am not sure we need one. I would love to hear from anyone who has one or something similar, I have the following concerns:

1. What is the internet filtering like?
2. What to put on for virus/malware protection?
3. What are the educational apps for android? (I know there are a lot for ipad)
4. What is a table useful for - we are not into video games and none of my children at home are on facebook. These seem to be the main uses that I see people using their tablets for?

Thank you.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2013 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Marilyn, we have a very basic HP Touchpad we bought super cheap a few years ago....it has been nice to have when others are on the computer, etc. I confess, the biggest use I have for it is looking up recipes and then having it with me in the kitchen as I follow the recipe. I also like reading books off of my kindle app on it, and have downloaded a few books for Lily for Advent. That all said, it doesn’t have the capability to do a lot of apps...so we don’t use it for that, so I don’t have a lot of input there. I don’t necessarily see it as a bad thing, but if you already have a kindle, and you don’t want the kids to have internet access beyond what you can see on the computer, than maybe it isn’t a good fit. I am sure there are some really cool things to do with it, but if you are striving for less screen time, this could complicate things if they are prone to gravitating towards the screen.

It would be nice to have if you find everyone having to wait their turn at the computer to read things for school....or look up things...and their only access is one computer....then this would be a nice way to help speed it along. BUT, I know nothing about parental controls, etc, on it.

Sorry, I’m brainstorming out loud, not very helpful....but I do see both sides to having one. If you have clear set rules, and can manage parental controls that really do something....than it would be a nice addition I think.

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I totally contradicted myself in my post Take everything I say with a grain of salt! We are more technologically entrenched here. I really like all of our gadgets, but could we live without them....sure.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks my friend. I am still not decided about whether we need one or not.

Things I see are useful - the camera and video camera, the email in a portable format (we have dumb phones) the ability to check websites when reading books (eg this morning reading Strega Nona's Gifts - and checking the computer to show the littles where Calabria is) the Kindle books, the ability to listen to audio everywhere.
Also the Galaxy has Polaris office - so the guys could be editing documents for school.

I still do not know about the apps. Everyone I know has an ipad or iphone - so they do not know about the apps for android.

Things I see as negative - I see the tabs as more of a passive tool - not so much used for creating. Also an expensive gift - we prefer to keep it simple. Not sure it is necessary?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version