Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What is for dinner? Turkey Edition Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Hi Friends!

So today, tell us what you are having for dinner...just for today, or the entire week’s menu. I am interested in hearing what is for Thanksgiving dinner at your house.

Okay...for me....I planned a weeks’ menu. WOW, that is a biggie!!

Monday-Spaghetti...sauce in slow cooker, boy does it make a difference to slow cook my homemade sauce!

Tuesday-Meat loaf, green beans, roasted potatoes

Wednesday-Left overs! I might pop some Spring Rolls in from Costco’s to hold us over...that is about the only “premade” dinner my kids can eat with their allergies. They are so good!

Thursday-drumroll...Small turkey this year, only two of mine can eat poultry, but I really want turkey this year, so we are fixing a small one.

Big ham from Costco
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes and Pineapple casserole with marshmallows...searching today at local health food store (waaa, I wish Whole Foods were here!!) for better marshmallows.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Green Beans with Bacon in the slow cooker
Salad with greens, cherry tomatoes, onions.
Some kind of rolls.
Pies...I hate making pies, I am so not good at it, but I persevere every year. They taste really good, but mine never look very good.
I’m going to try an apple tart this year, instead of apple pie, and then make a dairy free pumpkin pie.

That is it...we are very traditional at our house, and stick with things the kids can eat. They LOVE Thanksgiving. My college boys have been texting me a lot the last week that they can’t wait to be home and eat with us. College food has heightened their appreciation for Ma’s cooking. This will be an especially anticipated day with them being home. I want to make it extra special some way....not quite sure what I am going to do, but thinking on it.

Friday-of course, left overs.

Saturday- Soup

Sunday-left overs or Stir-fry.

What’s cooking in your house this week?

Have a very blessed time around the table on Thanksgiving, Friends!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Busy week ahead. Simple meals, plus trying to build up immunity so we do pick up any Thanksgiving bugs.

Monday - pre-frozen meal: beef and cranberries with mashed potatoes
Tuesday - super nutritious chicken soup and dutch oven bread (yay college girl returns late Tues night)
Wednesday - roasted vegetables with garlic, olive oil and parmesan, quinoa and black beans
Thursday - big family potluck. I am doing the big bird, stuffing, gravy, green beans, big cake for my dearest mama who is turning 84. We have bought various cranberry juices and beer.I also bought pecan pie icecream and vanilla icecream from Trader Joe's. Others are bringing roast beef, roast potatoes, rolls, apple pie.
Friday - veggie fried rice
Saturday - five spice chicken and rice
Sunday - shepherd's pie, green salad, stirfried green beans. Stir it up Sunday fruit cake.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

4 lads mom wrote:
and then make a dairy free pumpkin pie.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for this? Our priest is eating with us and he is dairy-free. Cash and I were laughing that nearly every dish on Thanksgiving has some kind of dairy, mostly butter! He has been our guest a good number of times in the past, so we know how to substitute and such, but a dairy-free pumpkin pie....that would be a treat!

Thanks......from someone who doesn't yet have lunched planned for today let alone a menu for the week. Sigh.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Erica, I did a dairy-free crustless pumpkin pie/pudding not long ago, and it turned out really pretty fabulously.

1 can (or fresh equivalent) pumpkin puree
1 can Thai Kitchen full-fat coconut milk
2 T maple syrup
4 eggs (I think I used 4 . . . I made this up, and I'm realizing that I don't remember exactly!)
pumpkin pie spices as desired -- I used cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves "to taste"

Mix it all up, pour into a greased baking dish. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or so, then reduce heat to 350, baking until firm and pulled away a little from the sides of the dish.

Our priest has a gluten allergy, and other friends have various celiac and dairy intolerances, so even though we're not dairy- or gluten-free, I experiment a good bit with this kind of cooking. I was really pleased with how this pumpkin dessert came out, and even my non-coconut-liking children loved it and did not complain that it tasted coconutty.

Sally (who is not cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year, and is rather thankful about that . . . )

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Thanks, Sally!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Let's see, this week:

Today: Fresh Kielbasa and roasted potatoes with veggies I can find

Tomorrow: not sure. ground beef or chicken, or pick up depending on symptoms and appointment and weather.

Wednesday: Same as above.

Thursday: I'm bringing ham to the family dinner

Friday: fresh roasted turkey

And leftovers as far as the eye can see. Sides will depend on help and health.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

I'm winging it until Thursday...

Tonight? Baked lemon and olive oil chicken. And I'm cooking tomorrow's dinner tonight, for an easy reheat: chicken minestrone.

Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Marilyn- could you share your quinoa recipe?

Let's see:
Monday: Carrot lentil soup with fresh bread
Tuesday: Dal and basmati- peas on the side
Wednesday: Lentil Soup and artisan bread
Thursday: Potato and pea curry
Friday: leftovers for lunch and ???for dinner

Our Thanksgiving was in October so nothing too exciting this week...

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Marilyn,

Do you have a recipe for your Stir it up fruit cake/bread? I seem to remember a recipe about 4-5 years ago that was posted on a few Catholic blogs. I made it and it was delicious--sort of a fruit cake without the liquor--and with dried fruit (not candied). I want to make it this Sunday but can't find it anywhere...perhaps your recipe would be a good one for me to try!

We are looking forward to welcoming home our daughter (a freshman at UD) and her friend for Thanksgiving this year. Along with my parents and brothers, it will be a festive gathering. So excited!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

A day late, here, but our week's menu looks like this:

Monday: Italian meat sauce and rigatoni, garlic bread and salad. (I had salad, oatmeal, and yogurt-crazy combo, but can't eat beef or pork, and I used both in the sauce.)

Tuesday: Tuesdays are always "Pizza nights." We are making our own with whatever toppings each wants (I am going with green peppers and onions, but the boys love pepperoni and bacon on theirs.) Oranges for dessert.

Wednesday: My oldest will be out for his usual Weds. night trivia with "they guys," my 23yods will be out with all his returning-home-for-Thanksgiving buddies (two of his best friends got jobs out of state,) my 18yo ds is going to visit with him best buddy, home from college for the weekend, my 15yods has plans with his buddies, and so, the youngest two and dh and I will probably have a light supper, possibly a combo of leftovers, to clear space for Thursday's dishes!

Thursday: Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, fruit salad, relish tray with pickles/carrots/celery/broccoli, homemade rolls, pumpkin and apple pies, and magic cookie bars. Beverages: wine, water, pop (a treat!) and milk for pies. Popcorn in the evening.

Friday: Leftovers! We all love hot turkey sandwiches. Apples and oranges for dessert.

Saturday: Tacos (beef for the men, and ground turkey for me.) Apple strudel for dessert.

Sunday: Chicken with a mushroom/wine sauce in the crock pot, salad, wild rice, green beans, canned cranberry. I make popcorn every Sunday night for dessert.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Kristie 4 wrote:

Hi Kristie,

I brown some onion and garlic in oil or butter. I add some mixed peppers - fresh or more usually Trader Joe's frozen pepper blend. I add my quinoa and chicken stock/broth. (one portion of quinoa to two of liquid. I then add pre-cooked or canned black beans and some cumin, salt and pepper. Close the saucepan and let it simmer until the quinoa is cooked. It is really good and very quick.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

jdostalik wrote:
Marilyn,

Do you have a recipe for your Stir it up fruit cake/bread? I seem to remember a recipe about 4-5 years ago that was posted on a few Catholic blogs. I made it and it was delicious--sort of a fruit cake without the liquor--and with dried fruit (not candied). I want to make it this Sunday but can't find it anywhere...perhaps your recipe would be a good one for me to try!

We are looking forward to welcoming home our daughter (a freshman at UD) and her friend for Thanksgiving this year. Along with my parents and brothers, it will be a festive gathering. So excited!

Hi Jennifer,

So glad to "see" you again. I was hoping that your dd would go to the same college as my dd - because then we would have got to meet up! But I know you are happy to have your dd closer to you.

Re the cake recipe - despite our British heritage, my kids do not like the traditional rich fruitcake. So I adapt Grandma's secret recipe from Cranberry Thanksgiving - and everyone loves it. Here is our version:

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter
1 egg beaten
1 teaspoon grated orange peel (optional)
3/4 cup orange juice
1.5 cups Craisins
1.5 cups fresh or frozen cranberries

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add eggs, orange peel, and orange juice all at once; stir just until mixture is evenly moist. Fold in fruit.
Spoon into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350° for an hour and fifteen minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Marilyn!
Thank you. Your recipe sounds perfectly delicious! I would have loved for our girls to meet and us as well! Maybe some day? Hugs to you and prayers for a great reunion this week.

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

MarilynW wrote:
Kristie 4 wrote:

Hi Kristie,

I brown some onion and garlic in oil or butter. I add some mixed peppers - fresh or more usually Trader Joe's frozen pepper blend. I add my quinoa and chicken stock/broth. (one portion of quinoa to two of liquid. I then add pre-cooked or canned black beans and some cumin, salt and pepper. Close the saucepan and let it simmer until the quinoa is cooked. It is really good and very quick.

This sounds delicious! I am always on the lookout for non-beef/pork high-protein recipes! I will be trying this very soon!!!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

MarilynW wrote:

So I adapt Grandma's secret recipe from Cranberry Thanksgiving - and everyone loves it. Here is our version:

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter
1 egg beaten
1 teaspoon grated orange peel (optional)
3/4 cup orange juice
1.5 cups Craisins
1.5 cups fresh or frozen cranberries

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add eggs, orange peel, and orange juice all at once; stir just until mixture is evenly moist. Fold in fruit.
Spoon into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350° for an hour and fifteen minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

Thank you so much!! I bet I could substitute a “flax” egg for the real kind, since the kids can’t do eggs. They love cranberries!
Big hugs to all at your house!

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Erica Sanchez wrote:
4 lads mom wrote:
and then make a dairy free pumpkin pie.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for this? Our priest is eating with us and he is dairy-free. C .

So, the deal with my pumpkin pie is it changes every year....I just can’t find “the one” I am loving and jumping up and down as I eat it....I LOVE pumpkin pie, but having to do it vegan....has presented the usual challenges of replacing that condensed milk with something other than a big hunk of tofu that tastes....sort of beany. Problems, really big, substantial problems!

I’m going to try THIS one for our Thanksgiving....Isa is a great vegan cook, very irreverent, but the girl does know vegan.

VeganPumpkin Pie-no soy!

I hope this helps! I say it is no soy, but they do list soy milk, of course, you could use rice or almond or something....

I have not made this pie, always a surprise how it turns out year to year...but if it works, I’ll let you know. My local, tiny health food store actually carries agar powder!! Woohoo!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

The usual but I will share that I found an pie recipe that I love because it looks all homey without looking like oh-she-doesnt't-make-a-pretty-crust!

Skillet Apple Pie

I don't put the 3rd crust in the middle and I use frozen pie crust from Trader Joes <- worth it!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version