Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Frugal Friday: Do You Regift? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: Do you regift?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [7.14%]
3 [21.43%]
10 [71.43%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

OK- what could be more frugal than regifting?
You can take something you won't use and bless someone else with it.

I know this is a controversial topic. For my birthday recently I was given a pineapple corer. Hmm... that smacked of regifting. But it's all good to me- I know it's the thought that counts.

Personally, I don't hesitate to regift items. Duplicate books, board games and lego sets ( dd did not want two Lego Friends car sets)... all go in the regifting pile.

With adult items I am much more selective in regifting. Sometimes I admit up front that an item is a regift.

I guess I am brave since I have never had a regifting disaster. I have heard some funny stories, though...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Wow, I've never had a double up situation.
I donate does that count? Sadly one relative's presents often are given away to the thrift shop. whilst her love is given with her gifts, she is a compulsive shopper who just buys and then tries to fit the gift to a child not the child to the gift. We keep the love but not always the gift.

Mmm have to ponder the possibilities.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I regift often. But my rule for myself is that if I can't remember where I got it from, I can't regift it!!! Don't want any lines to cross…

I don't have any qualms about regifting at all… the only issue is if the gift was tacky to begin with or something I definitely wouldn't give to someone else… I donate it to St. Vinnie's.

My son was given a handheld cheap video game last year for his birthday… no way would I EVER want it in my house. I offered him $10 on the spot for it. He was thrilled… I donated it and never thought twice.

Some people I can mention regifting their presents to… others it's a touchy subject and I wouldn't ever suggest I gave away something they gave us. So we are careful in that situation… but they are long-distance family so it's okay usually.

I love that quote Erin: "We keep the love but not always the gift!" So great!!!

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2013 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I have a "gift closet" where I put potential gifts that I am able to buy at a good price. I also put gifts that I receive in that closet if it is something I will not use. So, yes, I regift. We donate a lot of items we won't use, too, though.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

jawgee wrote:
I have a "gift closet" where I put potential gifts that I am able to buy at a good price. I also put gifts that I receive in that closet if it is something I will not use. So, yes, I regift. We donate a lot of items we won't use, too, though.

I tend to do the same thing- stash potential gifts when they are on sale. I keep my eye out all year, and so by Christmas I usually only have to buy a few items or special requests.

I recently read about having a regifting party- everyone brings things they have received but can't use and then the swapping begins! Is that not a great idea? I think it would be a very fun thing to do with friends or a bunch of moms/kids after Christmas.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

SeaStar wrote:
jawgee wrote:

I tend to do the same thing- stash potential gifts when they are on sale. I keep my eye out all year, and so by Christmas I usually only have to buy a few items or special requests.

I used to do this when the kids were younger, we lived in town and I browsed the shops more. Used to have a birthday stash too. Nowdays I'm in and out and no longer have a box

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2013 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I definitely have regifted baby clothes that did not fit the season and size.

Isn't it funny that you so often get multiple sizes of whatever season your shower happens to fall with little idea of the baby not being able to use a fleece suit with snowflakes in July or a fancy pastel john-john in January? How was I supposed to know that each subsequent baby would be another boy?

I've wanted to regift toys that were duplicates, but they are so often opened In those cases, we have simply given them to a friend, letting them know it was a duplicate (one really doesn't need more than one of the same dinosaur floor puzzle) but we thought they'd like it.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2013 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Well, a gift stash can be good and bad. Sometimes I buy an item and then it sits and sits in my stash forever because the right person/time never seems to match up. Then I wind up donating it. Unfrugal in the long run....

Lindsay- it's funny about the baby clothes. I went to a shower last week, and as part of the gift I gave a 6 month sleeper and a summer outfit in size 9 months for the coming summer.

I could tell the mother was perplexed as to why I would give a November baby a summer outfit in a much bigger than new born size. I hope she figure it out!

Rosesinsummer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 16 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Rosesinsummer

My MIL has re-gifted to me a couple times gifts that I had given her the year before. She now gets gift cards. ;-)

I have re-gifted on occasions, but most of the time if I don't like or can't use as gift, I give it away to St. Vincent de Paul or Goodwill.

Back to Top View Rosesinsummer's Profile Search for other posts by Rosesinsummer

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Rosesinsummer wrote:
My MIL has re-gifted to me a couple times gifts that I had given her the year before. She now gets gift cards. ;-)

My MIL gave me the exact same gift two years in a row. She used to work for a florist, and there was a FTD arrangement one year with a nativity that played music, which she must have picked up after Christmas. It was hard not letting on when I opened it So, not only are there dangers in regifting--the gift closet can be a risky venture as well

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

No no no !!!

My definition of a gift is to be generous, NOT to be frugal! So I give myself the freedom to be generous when giving gifts. I don't even necessarily look for the best deal on gifts either. (Exception: preparing our family Christmas.) If I'm wrapping something and presenting it as a gift then it was purchased by me.

Now I do give stuff to friends a lot. So I'll just hand them the pineapple corer. Again, I give myself permission to be generous with my loved ones in this material way.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

SeaStar wrote:

I could tell the mother was perplexed as to why I would give a November baby a summer outfit in a much bigger than new born size. I hope she figure it out!

That's funny!    She will get it next spring when it's the first nice day of spring/summer and he has no cloths until she finds what you gave her.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version