Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Frugal Friday... Listen to this! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Sarah over at Amongst Lovely Things has put up a post full of links to great talks that are almost all free

There is some great listening here... some of it funny, some inspiring, some very timely.

But my favorite talk by far is Meg Meeker's How to raise Strong Catholic Families in a Difficult Culture.

The title does not even begin to hint at what an awesome and powerful message she has to share. I have been a Dr. Meeker fan since I read her book "Boys Should be Boys" (which we discussed here )

I did not want this talk to end. Not only is the message great, but she is a good speaker, which goes a long way in the audio world. I can't recommend this one enough!

On a different frugal note,
this week both grocery stores I shop in are having super double coupons.
Any coupon $2 or under doubles.   

With my coupons and sales, I was able to get bottles of ibuprofen for 29 cents, 4 lb bags of Dixie sugar for 38 cents, more Lindt chocolate bars for free, free pasta, free cans of Campbell soup, Glide dental floss for 50 cents... it's been crazy

The American Girl website is having free shipping through Nov 3 on orders over $100... nice if you are buying any Christmas gifts from there.

Now... it's off to church and the All Saints Party.

Best thing of all... all that love and support from our friends the saints in heaven....FREE

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh yes, this week is the $10 off $50 at the grocery store.. If I plan well I can shop only up to the $50 mark and make multiple trips.. I can't say how cheap individual items are but if you hit right over that $50 you're saving almost 20% on top of sales..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Thanks Melinda for sharing about Dr. Meg Meeker's "How to raise Strong Catholic Families in a Difficult Culture"! Great message for all parents whether young or seasoned! Praying that more Catholic parents can get off the "crazy train" and put God at the center of their family!

Amazing deals, too! Good job!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JodieLyn wrote:
Oh yes, this week is the $10 off $50 at the grocery store.. If I plan well I can shop only up to the $50 mark and make multiple trips.. I can't say how cheap individual items are but if you hit right over that $50 you're saving almost 20% on top of sales..

That is so awesome, Jodie- that you can use that coupon over and over. Which store lets you do that? My hat is off to them.

I have read that the next two weeks will have the lowest prices on certain seasonal baking items, and then the prices will go up again the week of Thanksgiving.

I saw 1/2 price pumpkins advertised for sale today while out driving. I am going back for one to cook! Hopefully that will turn out better than my beans

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Servant2theKing wrote:
Thanks Melinda for sharing about Dr. Meg Meeker's "How to raise Strong Catholic Families in a Difficult Culture"! Great message for all parents whether young or seasoned! Praying that more Catholic parents can get off the "crazy train" and put God at the center of their family!

Amazing deals, too! Good job!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love that phrase- the crazy train. Isn't it so true?

I also loved her point about how if God wants your child to be an Olympic athlete and has given that child the talent, rest assured that God will make sure it happens. There is no need to make yourself crazy trying to figure it all out yourself- or make your life crazy just to be sure that a child continues to play baseball (or sing or dance or do art or whatever).   Just keep praying and let God do the rest.

So much good stuff in just that one talk!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Oh, we LOVE Fr. John Riccardo. Our Catholic radio station plays his podcasts once in a while. We also have the DVD Common Ground which is excellent!!!

Likewise, love Dr. Meeker and follow her on FB.

Thanks so much for the link!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It's a Safeway coupon. You can only use the coupon once but it's in the local paper (costs .75) so I just get more coupons.. definately worth it.. for one thing the local store let's you buy the newspaper and use it in the same transaction so if you forget the coupon you just get it there.. but it also counts towards the $50.. the only exclusions are like prescriptions, alcohol, tobacco and liquid dairy products.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Thank you! Love Dr. Meg Meeker!

I save these great podcasts to listen to when I walk/run. It forces me to exercise.   

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JodieLyn wrote:
It's a Safeway coupon. You can only use the coupon once but it's in the local paper (costs .75) so I just get more coupons.. definately worth it.. for one thing the local store let's you buy the newspaper and use it in the same transaction so if you forget the coupon you just get it there.. but it also counts towards the $50.. the only exclusions are like prescriptions, alcohol, tobacco and liquid dairy products.

This good info to sock away.... We do not have Safeway here, and when we get a ten off fifty coupon in the paper, we are limited to using it one time.

But if some stores allow multiple uses, that is something worth watching out for. Thanks, Jodie!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2013 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Had a very unfrugal moment last week at our All Saints party.

The weather was unseasonably warm and humid, and so the door to the parish hall was propped open, and all the windows were opened up (the AC was off since we'd had a few colder days).

All the food sat there during mass, and the warm, humid air turned anything crispy or crunchy into mush . Apple slices became rubbery, cheese mushy, chips soggy... a lot of food went right into the trash
No one even thought twice about the humid air doing a number on things. Lesson learned.

But then to make up for that, I had a super frugal grocery shopping trip.
I made an extra trip to use up all my $2 and under coupons that would be doubled this week (I am limited to using 20 per day). At the check out my total was 70 cents. I was surprised but very happy to see it that low.

So I whipped out a dollar bill to pay, but the register wouldn't take it. The cashier punched in the amount, but the register wouldn't accept it or open. So we stared at it for a minute, and then both realized that my total for the trip was *negative* 70 cents, as in the store owed me $0.70.

So I grabbed two rolls of Mentos ( for my Steve Spangler fans) that were on sale 2 for 99 cents. After that my total was $0.35 cents, and the register let me pay.

That was pretty good for five bags of groceries!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version