Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Talk me in or out of Amazon Prime Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I've come up with the funds to purchase this service, but I'm not 100% sure I need it. I'm always buying an "extra" book to reach the free shipping mark. It's always a quick decision for that extra book and half the time I realize I could have done without that book. We had the free trial last year and I enjoyed it and benefited from it. I have no idea if we would use the streaming.

Please tell me what you think!

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well, I forgot to cancel the free membership and since we had the money at that time.. I let it stand and I have LOVED having it. Sure I could get the free shipping that takes 2-6 weeks to show up (yes mostly closer to 2 weeks).. but how nice to have the option of getting something and having it show up in 2 days.

And being able to get just the one item right away instead of needing to figure out enough of the rest to get with it for the free shipping.

So it mostly helps with my time, I doubt it saves me money. But it does give me options for last minute shopping that I might not have otherwise, and it does help that I can buy single resources and check them out quickly and have time to get something different or to get more (like if I want to get a set of 3 books I can check out the first one and then decide to get the other 2) and still have all of them in the same time that the super saving shipping does.

I have used the streaming. Sometimes they have things that Netflix doesn't have available for streaming and when you max out on the number of devices for netflix it's nice to have another option. We don't have cable or anything so netflix and amazon are our sources for tv shows.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Dang - just deleted my long post response...so my quick answer is - I was just saying to myself last night "I love Amazon Prime!"

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Previous thread with the pros and cons...Amazon Prime Questions

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I LOVE it!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

I was wondering the same thing recently, but then remembered about Christmas shopping and decided it was definitely worth it for us to have it.

I use it year-round--especially for birthday presents for parties the kids are invited to. But at Christmastime I use it all the time--especially since we always travel for Christmas so I can ship everything directly to my inlaws house where we'll be.

I also like it since Amazon is the Vegas of online shopping so sometimes you can find something at a great low price and buy it then without having to spend $25 or pay for shipping.

And once you get used to 2 day (but often arrives at my house in 1 day) shipping--you get really spoiled!

And we stream quite a bit for free for the kids to watch too. (We don't have Netflix.)
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I must have mentioned this before, but for us Amazon Prime is a must-have! It's so helpful for those last-minute birthday parties to be able to order something you know the recipient will like without driving all over town with four children. I use it all the time for food (when specific things are on sale), Pull-Ups (and diapers when we needed them), the free lending library for my Kindle, and streaming documentaries.

I think it's worth the $79, which is just over $6/month.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

JodieLyn wrote:

So it mostly helps with my time, I doubt it saves me money.

This is exactly how I see it. I see it as a time-saver (to avoid running extra last-minute errands) rather than a money-saver, because it's not that for us.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I should add though, that it does feel like money well spent. You get the improved services for the money.. so it's not like it feels like wasted money either.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I read a lot, and with the Kindle Owners Lending Library, I can (and do) read one book for free each month. That savings more than pays for the annual Amazon Prime fee.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I've had it about 2 years and been very happy with it. Considered not renewing because of some changes they've been making, but then I looked at all the purchases I made the last year and it really is worth it for us. Agree that it is also a huge time-saver for us, especially the Subscribe and Save things that I'm always forgetting and have to run extra trips to the store last minute. Now I don't have to worry about those.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Absolutely 100% worth our money every year. For us it is both a time AND money saver. It was so tempting to add books to get the free super saver shipping. Now I buy what I need, as needed. One of my favorite features is the free 2 day shipping to ANY address. This is the primary way I now send gifts to godchildren and family all over the US. It saves a ton of money on my own postage... plus trying to find that one special item.

Lastly, we use the video streaming often. We don't watch much TV but I love having safe, simple shows like Kipper, Little Bear or Shaun the Sheep when I need my young kids to be still for a bit so I can get something done. I like watching the I Love Lucy seasons that are on there for free right now. And all the Ken Burns documentaries?! SOOOO great to be able to watch those with the kids!

We don't have Netflix so this gets used often.

Anyway, I've never looked back since we got on Amazon!

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

What a timely post! We have had Netflix for quite a while but never find family movies. I spent all day the other day going through lists of family movies. I couldn't find any of them on Netflix, but found most on Amazon. True, some are pay whether or not you have Prime, but most are cheaper with Prime. I am excited to go with the Prime and cancel Netflix!
PS What absolutely sealed the deal for me was:
MelissaClaire wrote:
I was wondering the same thing recently, but then remembered about Christmas shopping and decided it was definitely worth it for us to have it.
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

DominaCaeli wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:

So it mostly helps with my time, I doubt it saves me money.

This is exactly how I see it. I see it as a time-saver (to avoid running extra last-minute errands) rather than a money-saver, because it's not that for us.

I really think it saves time and money for us, but I guess I can't be sure. Prime makes impulse buys too easy.   

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm talking you into Amazon Prime!

Ok, but my joy of all joys is Subscribe and Save! The idea that a HUGE box of toilet paper comes to my house every month along with paper towels, cleaning supplies, diapers and wipes is wonderful!!!!!

I LOVE AMAZON!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We love Prime. I got my new coffee pot licketty split. Such a relief!

My sisters and I go in it together, so average cost is $16 for each family. But only the main subscriber can view the free online movies, but that's fine for us.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Mimip wrote:
Ok, but my joy of all joys is Subscribe and Save! The idea that a HUGE box of toilet paper comes to my house every month along with paper towels, cleaning supplies, diapers and wipes is wonderful!!!!!

We just got our TP this week, too.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Prime lovers here, too. I love the fast, free shipping. Also, virtually any video content we watch is via Instant Streaming, and free. Occasionally we'll pay to rent a kids' movie, but the few things my husband and I watch together -- Foyle's War, Downton Abbey, As Time Goes By -- we've watched free with Prime. I've queued up a documentary watchlist for the coming year for the kids, and again, the idea that we can stream all this stuff for free is really exciting.

We also just got Kindles, and I'm looking forward to the free library. Still figuring out what is available to rent, especially in the way of kids' books!

I need to do Subscribe and Save!

Sally

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

Another prime lover. Love the fast shipping, love the streaming movies, kindle lending library, and love subscribe and save for things that others mentioned. Especially because my grocery cart is already full of food and kids. I don't have room for toilet paper!

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

*Lindsey* wrote:
Another prime lover. Love the fast shipping, love the streaming movies, kindle lending library, and love subscribe and save for things that others mentioned. Especially because my grocery cart is already full of food and kids. I don't have room for toilet paper!

Can I hear and AMEN! to that!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version