Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Spouses Responsible for Each Other's Soul Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2013 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Maybe I worded that wrong. Please correct me.   

I'm quite sure I saw something here that alluded to this, and I'm trying to find Scripture and/or official Church teaching that confirms this.

I'm having a conversation with someone and we're mostly on the same page, that we are all responsible for our own salvation, but my argument is that husbands and wives are in a unique position to be each other's path to Heaven.

If I remember correctly, one of you ladies here said something at one point about my husband being responsible for my soul or my salvation or something like that, and that it's one reason why we submit (I'm not trying to start a debate here on wifely submission please ) , but I can't find the post.

Anyone help? Or help me clarify my thinking/words?

Thanks!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2013 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Oooooo....looking forward to reading it. I hope someone can help.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I think that is mainly found in the Church's documents on the teaching of the SACRAMENT of marriage, not just matrimony.

From the Catechism:
Quote:
1641 "By reason of their state in life and of their order, [Christian spouses] have their own special gifts in the People of God."147 This grace proper to the sacrament of Matrimony is intended to perfect the couple's love and to strengthen their indissoluble unity. By this grace they "help one another to attain holiness in their married life and in welcoming and educating their children."148

I follow the footnotes, and these are from Lumen Gentium11 and 41

Quote:
11. Finally, Christian spouses, in virtue of the sacrament of Matrimony, whereby they signify and partake of the mystery of that unity and fruitful love which exists between Christ and His Church,(108) help each other to attain to holiness in their married life and in the rearing and education of their children. By reason of their state and rank in life they have their own special gift among the people of God.(109) (7*)

Quote:
41. Furthermore, married couples and Christian parents should follow their own proper path (to holiness) by faithful love. They should sustain one another in grace throughout the entire length of their lives. They should embue their offspring, lovingly welcomed as God's gift, with Christian doctrine and the evangelical virtues. In this manner, they offer all men the example of unwearying and generous love; in this way they build up the brotherhood of charity; in so doing, they stand as the witnesses and cooperators in the fruitfulness of Holy Mother Church; by such lives, they are a sign and a participation in that very love, with which Christ loved His Bride and for which He delivered Himself up for her.(11*)

And the Scripture quotes to base these teachings are 1 Cor. 7, 7 and Eph 5:25, 32.

And then the further notes from other teachings and documents: Cfr. S. Pius X, Exhort. Haerent animo, 4 aug. 1908: ASS 41 (1908) p. 560 s. Cod. Iur. Can., can. 124. Pius XI, Litt. Encycl. Ad catholici sacerdotii, 20 Dec. 1935: AAS 28 (1936) p. 22 s. I didn't have a good translation nearby.

It's probably not exactly what you are looking for, but we are not sola scriptura, but the teachings are based on Scripture. If we are to think about giving our life for holiness to our spouse as Christ did for His Church, well, that would mean helping them to heaven.

I think the earlier encyclical by Pius XII? on Marriage speaks of this more elaborately.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 23 2013 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I knew Jenn would have the references. I have read statements along the line of what you state, Stef. I don't think there is anything that specifically says that the purpose of marriage is for our spouses path to salvation. Instead, that is one of the effects of a consecrated, holy marriage as indicated in the quotes Jenn posted.
This Catholic Answers thread has some catechism and scripture reference that are helpful - most are same mentioned.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2013 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Jenn and Mary, I've been forgetting to come back to this thread to say THANK YOU!!!!

Those help a lot.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version