Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Baking with Coconut Oil Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dh's birthday is coming up, and he's requested Smitten Kitchen's Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake. This is most delicious, chocolate, moist homemade cake, even if you don't make the frosting. I made just the cake for my son's birthday and it is delicious.

But I don't like using the vegetable oil, as I'm trying to get away from those obvious Omega 6 choices. I was thinking of trying to substitute Coconut Oil, the most tasteless of the kinds...but wondering if anyone has tried this with success? Do you melt it a bit to make it liquid form? Does it keep things most like the vegetable oil?

I'm afraid to experiment, since Dh is so looking forward to the cake....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Jenn,
I use cocnut oil all the time in cookies, waffles etc. i have not tried it in a cake yet (because I have not made one recently) but I think it will be great. I do melt it first and try to have the other ingredients not cold or the coconut oil will harden up again. If you add it while the mixer is on this should be less of a problem.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

I don't taste the coconut oil, but some of my children do. As Aagot said, I melt it first. What about melted butter?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have used either coconut oil (Spectrum brand) or butter in all my baking and cakes for several years now. The results have always been good. If I bake with coconut oil in the winter, when it is likely to be solid, I do get it warm so that it's liquid when it goes in to the batter. I've found that butter is an excellent oil replacement, too. I use it interchangeably in recipes. I melt it, too, if I add it to a recipe.

Good luck with the birthday cake!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Ditto Jenn. I've used it almost exclusively the past year since the baby can't have dairy, and my cakes are moist.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I think that butter would be my first choice! But, I like butter on and in everything!

If you want an option to try some other time when baking/cooking I would recommend Mary's Oil Blend (about half way down the thread)

I used to use this to fry eggs-- which you can really taste the oil that you used. It was a pleasant taste that really seemed much more mild tan Olive oil or Coconut Oil straight.   FWIW--I use butter mostly now. :)

ETA: That cake looks amazing. Let me know how it turns out. I have some birthday cooking to do later this month for a chocolate peanut butter lovin' boy!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I recently bought a big tub of organic coconut oil at Costco that I thought would be good for baking. Usually I use the Spectrum brand, but this was a different brand. I could taste a slight coconut flavor in the muffins I made.

However, this brand is *excellent* for melting and putting on popcorn. Outstanding flavor for that

But I think I will go back to Spectrum for baking.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SeaStar wrote:
I recently bought a big tub of organic coconut oil at Costco that I thought would be good for baking. Usually I use the Spectrum brand, but this was a different brand. I could taste a slight coconut flavor in the muffins I made.

However, this brand is *excellent* for melting and putting on popcorn. Outstanding flavor for that

Ooooh! Good to know - because I've been eyeing that EXACT container at Costco for that exact purpose - popcorn!! We eat SOOOO much popcorn for snacks, and I'd save the good Spectrum brand for my baking. I'm glad you mentioned your experience there!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SeaStar wrote:

We like coconut flavor, so tasting it in our baked goods isn't an issue. We do LOVE our popcorn popped in coconut oil And I found the Costco offering to be a good quality and price as well and a much more manageable container than the gallon I usually buy.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I have not yet baked with the Spectrum (flavorless) coconut oil yet - but we've done every other kind of cooking with it and LOVE it.

However, one thing I have done in the past is to use applesauce instead of shortening or oil and that always turns out very nicely.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I also use olive oil instead of butter or other oils in baking. I have a conversion chart for converting amounts of butter to olive oil.

A lot of times I will also mix half olive oil and have organic canola.

It doesn't affect the taste that much.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Jenn, if a recipe calls for liquid oil, I substitute melted coconut oil or melted butter. If it calls for "shortening", I always substitute solid (or relatively solid) coconut oil. And now I grease all my pans with coconut oil and I don't have a problem with sticking anymore! I had no idea it would work so much better than anything else.

It doesn't really make a difference in the baked goods except if you use coconut oil that tastes like coconut, you might be able to detect a faint coconut taste but it's much more palatable to me in baked goods than it is in, say, eggs (as mentioned above) or potatoes. Especially if there's chocolate involved.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

How did the cake turn out, Jenn?
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't pull the trigger and adjust the recipe this time. My husband is not demanding, but he requested a cake "just like" the one I made for my son, and I didn't want him to be disappointed. I know he would have noticed a difference. I didn't want to change it on his birthday.

Next time, no problem. I adjust recipes all the time, and I'll probably do butter (that Irish butter makes everything better, I must say!). Thanks for all the input, though. I have lots of ammunition.

I have made a Kahlua Cake out of a box cake recipe for years, and I think this cake recipe is the one to adjust to make it from scratch. So next celebration will be the adjustments!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version