Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Good US history for lower elementary? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 06 2006 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote amyable

We are winding down the year and thinking about what to do next. We school year round so "next" is pretty much whenever we get to it.     My girls (8 and 6) are itching to do US history. I'm sure we'll definitely read Little House and American Girl books. I think I'll buy History Pockets and maybe an activity kit put out by the same company(whose name escapes me right now! )

Are there any "must haves" for the young elementary set? I'm wondering if I need some sort of "spine" text. I've tried that before and we usually don't use them much, but sometimes it's nice to have around (esp. considering I know very little history!)

Thanks!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2006 at 4:36am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Hi Amy,

We have been working on American history this past year. My 6yo has enjoyed the following:

~ The If You Lived ... series

~ The D'Aulaire books

~ Melissa's books. We're reading the Charlotte years right now to coincide with the War of 1812.

I'll look back and see what other titles were hits.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Dawn, thanks for reminding us about the Charlotte years coinciding with the War of 1812. We're just about there in our studies, a perfect dovetail.

Amy, for an American History "spine" for the younger set, we've used the Brown Paper School USKids History books on the American Colonies and the American Revolution and have been very happy with them. Well-written stories, my younger set (and I) have enjoyed them a great deal. The "Colonies" book has less activities to suggest than the "Revolution" book, but the stories are very good and informative, appealing to the littles. The only oversight in the "Colonies" book is they don't really do anything with Maryland, the Catholic Colony, which would have been entirely appropriate. Grrr. You just have to add that. They also pretty much ignore the founding of Saint Augustine and the Spanish presence, but the book *is* a segue to the sequel, American Revolution, so that probably explains the omission, and their focusing on the original 13 British colonies.

On the whole, though, these slim tomes are very well done, entertaining and non-texty. Highly recommended!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2006 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

We've loved the Brown Paper School USKids History books as well. They are great!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2006 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Thanks for the ideas ladies, they are a great help!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2006 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Our one son who is very much a history fan, developed the love of history the year I went throught the Emmanuel books catelogue and ordered just about everything they had in the American history section for young readers (now you know why we broke the budget). I was going to "assign" them in chronological order in the fall when school officially started but instead he devoured them in the summer. Sounds a lot like what the other moms are saying too. We didn't even do a timeline (it was summertime) or any writing and he really, really learned history - plus loved it. I'm not sure you have to worry too much about a spine at that young of an age.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Good idea, Janet.    A clever way to get some schooling done "under the radar" during the summer!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version