Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Sports in Public School? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CelesteMary
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote CelesteMary

Hello all and God bless you! I haven't posted in a while and am so refreshed when I come to this site.

My question has to do with Sports. Our children have been participating in local organized sports for fall and spring. Primarily soccer and baseball. And it has been working out beautifully.

I was hesitant at first because once you start something, it's really unpopular to make the children stop. We have the five oldest playing this year, out of eight. So I cautiously let them all play. Trying to keep both the children happy and my husband.

My husband really urges me to keep the children in organized sports because of it's benefits. As they are homeschooled he feels they will get a lot of value out of these activities.

I do agree. I have seen many benefits for the children. I think DH wished they played all year round, but that would be too difficult for our family life so I have agreed to spring and fall.

Back to my question. My oldest is not in the 7th grade, technically. She is too old to play with our local farm teams anymnore which were close by and very convenient.

Now to continue with the same group of friends, she needs to hook up with our local public school. Which I have my reservations about, but am willing to do it for her if necessary.

Yesterday I met with the athletic director at the school and I felt almost as though he was against her there? He said I would have to meet with the principal and she would have to approve our curriculum to make sure it is up to standard. He said this several times and said that at the high school level they definitely need to be at a certain standard.

I can understand this as they only let those play who are "passing" their classes. And for a homeschooler, I guess it would be hard to get that letter grade they are looking for?

We are in the country and there aren't a whole lot of other avenues for sports. I checked with the Y which is about 40 minutes away. They offered only basketball. I am trying to get some info from other local homeschoolers and they are scattered. I am unable to find much on the internet.

Anyone else been through this and how did you handle it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks and God bless,

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2012 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

A lot of that will simply depend on your state. In Oregon, homeschooled students are elible for public school sports by their standardized test from the end of the previous year. And they have to meet all the rest of the same rules as those in public schools (behavior and stuff). You might see if the your state school activities association has rules for homeschoolers. Often the public schools won't know if there is so they're not someone I would trust unless they showed me the rules.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Yep, it varies SOOOO much by state that I would check with your state organizations.

Florida has an all inclusion policy. If you are not in an umbrella school or enrolled in any type of public online school, you can participate in any public school sport, as long as it is an existing team sport. For example if my daughter wanted to fence, she would be out of luck because there is no fencing in the public schools here. But she could swim, row, play soccer ect.

In my experience, I'm with Jodie, go talk to someone at the education office for your county. And from what I have seen, the acceptance level totally depends on the coach. We have had friends whose children, though very good, rode the bench for years because the coaches did not want to play them but played mediocre students because they "went to the school". We have also had friends whose children have excelled greatly in the public school programs.

Good luck, seems like uncharted territory in your district!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

CelesteMary
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 07 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote CelesteMary

Thanks ladies. In the state of Maine the homeschooling laws are very laid back. We simply go to a certified teacher and she looks over our curriculum and as long as she sees progress she is happy.

Others here like more structured curriculum where their children are tested and they know where they stand. I am sure I will have the children officially tested someday, but until now just go with the holy spirit with their education.

We are a mix of fairly structured and laid back as I guess you have to be with multiple children.

I will meet with the principal of the school and make some other calls and see what's what.

Thanks again for your advice.

Celeste Mary

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2012 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ok so here's what I found real quickly Maine Principals' Association Interscholastic rules Studen Eligibility

It reads to me that as long as your homeschool program has been approved by the state, the school may not add in anything else to the enrollment requirement part, all the other parts still apply.

Quote:
4.Homeschooled students will be exempt from the enrollment rule (Article II, Section 2, Paragraph B) if their equivalent instruction program has been approved as outlined in Maine Law. Homeschooled students must meet all other eligibility rules in Article II, Section 2, of the MPA Bylaws.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh I wanted to add, to me that sounds like it's not up to the individual principals of the schools to decide if a homeschooled child is eligible.. the school should only need whatever you'd show to anyone to prove that your instruction program is approved.

ETA and likely a copy of the official rule about it since they may well not have a clue about the official rule.

-Sir Walter Scott

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2012 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Are you members of HSLDA? They deal with this kind of issue all the time.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2012 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Although the first step regardless is usually assuming good intent and ignorance and simply showing the info about the rule.. it's how they deal with it after that that you may need help with.

-Sir Walter Scott

CelesteMary
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 08 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote CelesteMary

JodieLyn and Aagot, thanks so much. This is very interesting. I was a member of HSLDA, but only get their newsletters now. Also the kind woman who has always done our annual assessments happens to be an attorney as well. I will see if I can get a feel from her, maybe she knows the school.

I'd hate to have Abigail be accepted and then treated poorly just because she is homeschooled. On the other hand, she is a prerry tough kid, has always played with the boys so I know she could handle herself if the coach is a little biased. I'll have to pray on this one.

I wish I knew more about sports, maybe I should start a homeschooling league out here. There are quite a few of us. Just thinking out loud.......

Thanks again and God bless you!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version