Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Finding a Therapist - Adoption Issues Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
onthelane
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 05 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote onthelane

I rarely post here -- there is just no time as our family life has been turned upside down by an adopted child who has severe emotional issues. It impacts every.single.moment of our lives.
We have spent months researching attachment parenting. We need professional help but this area is so new that very few therapists have much experience in attachment parenting issues. We have tried unsuccessfully w/ four psychologists and are still searching.
Prayers are always appreciated, but if anyone has any other experience with this topic, we are ears.
Back to Top View onthelane's Profile Search for other posts by onthelane

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 05 2012 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

Have you tried Greg Popcak? He does phone consultations. I haven't ever used him personally, but he's definitely Catholic and AP.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

RyaneM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 05 2012 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote RyaneM

Hi,

I am also an adoptive mama and I know that there are several others on the board so hopefully someone will chime in.

Are you familiar with Karen Purvis? She works specifically with adoptive families struggling with attachment issues and has a book called "The Connected Child." Many of her talks are available for free online, I believe. She is based out of Texas but likely has a network of providers all over. If you want, you can pm me and let me know where you live and I'll ask around the adoption communities I am a part of to get recommendations.

Adoption is awesome.. but REALLY, REALLY hard sometimes. I think that you would want to find someone who works specifically with adopted children because so many of the issues that you find are related to the trauma associated with that.

Hugs to you.

onthelane
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 05 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote onthelane

Thanks for the suggestions...The phone consult won't work for our son. Trying to find a qualified Catholic (or even Christian) therapist who acknowledges the value of homeschooling has been a challenge.

I did learn about a terrific place that's fairly new, where Catholics can get a doctorateIPSciences.edu. Only a few alumni now, but each year a few more. And so needed.
Back to Top View onthelane's Profile Search for other posts by onthelane

wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 05 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

We have 6 adopted children, 5 of whom were adopted as older children with various levels of needs both physical and emotional. Our oldest had Reactive Attachment Disorder and we have earned the equivalent of a Ph.D. in Therapeutic Parenting over the years. We tried a variety of therapists and could not find one with the oldest who really "got" it. For a couple of the younger kids we were very, very blessed to find a fabulous therapist very clued in to adoption, attachment and trauma/PTSD stuff who has been so very helpful to our family. You might check Attach.org and find a therapist who is specifically trained in this area of therapy who lives near you. You don't have the time or money to waste with someone who knows nothing about it. Another suggestion is to contact me offlist and I can refer you to a closed FB group for moms of kids with attachment issues which is very helpful and moderated by a dear Catholic friend of mine. Please know I DO know what you are experiencing and you will be in my prayers. Feel free to contact me. I'm in your corner!!
Back to Top View wamegomom's Profile Search for other posts by wamegomom

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Wamegomom is one of several parents I know who've dealt with RAD.

If you happen to live in Maryland or a nearby state, please PM me and I will try to put you in touch with adoptive parents who are dealing with the issues you currently face.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version