Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Light Fixtures Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 25 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Since you're so helpful in window coverings, I need to rethink light fixtures. We had a fan in the den, two contractor grade 1980s brass chandelier in the dining room and kitchen eating area.

Our kitchen has a bank of 6 florescent lights on the ceiling. Two boxes have gone bust, so don't know about that feature. It gives lots of light, but not ideal.

What is a classic light fixture for over tables? I just don't want a trendy chandelier (no shades, for example). Lindsay, you got a site for that?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Just replaced my own 80's gold-tone cheesy kitchen fixtures with a couple of lights I got at Lowe's. They are a least a bit more up-to-date and weren't too outrageously expensive. I have learned that in about 10-15 years I'll want new fixtures since they do start to look "old", so I didn't want to spend a lot of money.

The only fixture I've been happy with all these years is a very nice classic brass chandelier with glass globes that we have over our dining room table. That wouldn't look so appropriate in a kitchen, however.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 26 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Hmmm, can't recall seeing a tutorial on fixtures specifically. I really want this lantern for over my dining room table.

If I had a brass chandelier, I'd probably spray paint it with oil rubbed bronze metallic spray paint.

Also, I really like the pendants and shades from Schoolhouse Electric. I can't afford them right now, but I think they are very classy but a bit more interesting than your run of the mill fixture. I did take the small schoolhouse style shade from the ceiling fan in our kitchen and put it in an inexpensive flush mount fixture so I could replace the fan with a similar look on the cheap.

Also, it might be too much trouble, but my favorite light fixture is a silver colored chandelier that dh and I bought at an antique shop years ago. It was actually cheaper than a new fixture and has a lot more character.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2012 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I love the options at Schoolhouse Electric too, but ours are from Lowe's. I was pleased with the selection there.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

After looking at the light fixtures in my mother's new house, I have to say: boy, do I love simple! Anything simple, streamlined, and not covered with curlicues . . .

For a kitchen table, I actually like a ceiling fan (which I don't have right now and wish I did -- my kitchen gets hot in the summer!). If I were putting one in, which I'm not right now, I'd try to get something which echoed my nickel-finish cabinet hardware.

We have a very basic oiled-bronze kind of chandelier (probably from Lowe's) in our dining room, and that has really grown on me, especially as we've repainted the formerly-dark-green room Linen White. Now the fixture actually shows up! It's nothing special or fancy, but it is graceful. At Christmastime I hang some Shaker-style tin ornaments from its arms to dress it up a bit -- I've also used strands of wooden beads (actually garland meant for the tree) as swags over its arms for Christmas. So it can be plain, or it can be dressed up. As our basic style is not very dressy, I have come to appreciate this chandelier more than I ever thought I would.

Otherwise, I have seen some very nice large-ish pendant lights which would be good over a table. Pottery Barn always has an attractive selection, but surely there are cheaper knockoffs somewhere. Overstock.com always has a huge and varied selection.

Sally

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2012 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Ohh...so onto light fixtures, huh?    Do you get the Pottery Barn and Ballard Design catalog? Not necessarily to purchase from but to get ideas and then copy the style from a home improvement/box store etc. My only input into light fixtures.   

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kathryn wrote:
Ohh...so onto light fixtures, huh?    Do you get the Pottery Barn and Ballard Design catalog? Not necessarily to purchase from but to get ideas and then copy the style from a home improvement/box store etc. My only input into light fixtures.   

I did order them both after chatting about window treatments. and looking through Ikea, too.

Problem with light stuff is that I have to deal with the new light bulbs. I dislike them. INTENSELY dislike them. May I use the word "HATE"?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Yes, you may! I feel the same way about them.

My husband recently replaced most of our main level with new compact fluorescents. The light isn't so bad, but they may be causing my son to have frequent headaches. DH did not seem happy about changing back.

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version