Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Does sunscreen work: an experiment Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 11 2012 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

This is a fun way to show kids the importance of sunscreen.
You can check out this easy experiment over on my blog.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 11 2012 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

cool!

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2012 at 4:14am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We're going to do this! My kids, especially my dd have fair skin. They never want to take the time for sunscreen. They don't burn often, but that is probably because we live in Michigan. The trouble is that my dd is getting teased about her fair skin. She wants to be tan so she doesn't always use sunscreen. I don't know how to help her with this. I know teenage girls can be very self conscience about this sort of thing. But going without sunscreen, especially when we are on the water all day is not an option.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 12 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Maybe you can find photos of women who are addicted to tanning so she can see the effects of prolonged sun exposure?

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 12 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Awesome!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 12 2012 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Becky there are times of the day when it's safer to get sun exposure and tan than it is at others.. so maybe an agreement about the times of day when tanning is ok and when it's not.. also the amount of time. So like if she's out before 10am or after 4pm and for less than 2 hours she doesn't have to wear sunscreen but if she'll be out in the middle of the day or for longer than she needs to have sunscreen on.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2012 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Hi Becky,

Another Michigander here.    My boys have to wear sunscreen all of the time. If the sun is out, and they are playing outside, I spray them down before they leave the house. I just got sun-sensitive paper in, so we will have to do your experiments, here.

It has been a horribly hot summer, so far, and between the sun exposure and dangers of heat stroke (they had "day camp" for cub scouts, out-of-doors, on all those 100+ days!,) I've probably been a little hyper about protecting their skin and health! I also make sure they have sunglasses on, to protect their eyes. I told them that the "skin," ie. the cornea, on their eyes can get damaged by the sun, too.

When I only had three boys, I was an oncology nurse for 11 years, so that probably makes me more paranoid about sun burns, too.

My sis, who lives in Clearwater, won't even let her boys outside, between 10 and 5, most days.

It is so hard to want that lovely looking tan, especially as the teen girl, but if dd can hold off, even in 10-15 years, she will see a definite difference between her skin, still soft and smooth, and those who opted to tan (beginnings of spots and fine lines.)

I had one terrible burn when I was young, back when Hawaiian Tropics suntan oil was all the rage, and my doc checks me, carefully, every year, because of that.

Here is a link just for teens about suntanning. And here is another one, that dd might enjoy, that even gives a little historical look at tanning.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2012 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Oh, Joann,

did you happen to see this on the news a few weeks or so back about the delivery driver from Chicago? The story was about how damaged his skin is, on just one side of his face, from driving a delivery truck over the past 28? years. My dh stopped laughing at my sunscreen use-while-driving after he saw this on the news. Here is one link, and here is a more lengthy and detailed account.

It's just amazing at the difference between the two sides of his face! I am so grateful he allowed this to be shared!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Don't forget, too, that there are natural ways to guard against damage from sun exposure. We try to remember to take our cod liver oil since there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that severe sun burns can be triggered by a vitamin D deficiency (your body is trying to boost its production in a single exposure), and a recent studyseems to support that theory. It also makes sense given that those who descend from regions further from the equator are more likely to burn because they *needed* to be able to absorb more sun in shorter periods of exposure.

I used to burn easily, and now, though I turn pink sometimes in early summer, I have not had a painful burn in many years. My boys spend much of their time outdoors, and only once has any of them gotten a burn that was uncomfortable, and that was during a time when we'd slacked off on our clo and they spent the day in full sun.

We also always wear swim shirts, etc..., and we will use a zinc oxide sunscreen (some of the ingredients in some sunscreens are carcinogenic as well ) during times of prolonged exposure like a day at the beach where there is little retreat to shade.

Anyway, I think the experiment is really cool! Just chiming in that there are lots of factors to explore that can contribute to our skin health.

Omega 3s, lycopene, antioxidants from wine and blueberries, and even saturated fats have been shown to build UV resistance.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version