Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Clothespins Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 09 2012 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Have you found any you like?

The only ones I have, after having bought them several times over the years, are the ones I was gifted by my MIL and inherited from an elderly neighbor. I don't think I currently have a single clothespin I've purchased, even when I thought I was buying "nice" ones.

My husband just finished a wonderful 5 line clothesline with pulleys and everything, but we've yet to fill it completely, mostly because we don't have enough pins.

Plan A is to ask my current elderly neighbor who is no longer able to hang laundry if she has a stash from the past she would be willing to part with. I'd offer to pay her, of course!

But, if she doesn't, I'd LOVE to know if anyone has come across high quality pins that have held up for them. The newer ones are so darn chintzy

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I can't find any good ones. I took some of my mom's that she has had a long time and those work great. The new ones I bought fall apart and don't hold any weight. The ones I bought at Dollar General fell apart doing art projects. We all have allergies here, so I rarely hang anything on the line anyway. But, good luck finding some good ones.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

I had an amazing set about 15-20 years ago - they were wire covered in plastic dip. As the years went by the dip chipped and rusted and I lost one after the other. They were wonderful while they lasted. I've tried the all plastic ones, but didn't like them, so I just use the cheap wooden ones and replace my cheap wooden set with another cheap wooden set about once a year.

I would greatly love to find those plasti-dipped all wire ones again.
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Lauri, do you mean something like this? I use these in the kitchen aaaaall the time, but they work really well on the clothesline, too! Mostly I use the one-piece wooden ones, no spring - like what you use for a clothespin doll.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

What about Ebay - search under vintage wooden clothes pins (it also pulls up the peg ones - but there are several spring type batches as well).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2012 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Ok, I think I am turning into a clothespin geek.

I have only heard that these were good and would like to try them:
Julia Clothespins
otherwise, have you tried Lehman's?
Lehman's clothespins

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Lindsay, a clothesline with pulleys sounds wonderful!

The picture for these spring clothespins illustrates why they work better ~ the spring goes around the outside of the wood, so they won't come apart as easily.

Donna, I like the clothespin apron on Lehman's site!

Some of my fondest childhood memories involve helping both grandmothers hang clothes and bedding on the line! My "G-ma" taught us to conserve clothespins by using one pin to join the edges of two items ~ every item basically utilizes one pin, except the end ones. I always have to remind myself it's alright to use two pins for a single item.

Happy laundry hanging!

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 12 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

organiclilac wrote:
Lauri, do you mean something like this? I use these in the kitchen aaaaall the time, but they work really well on the clothesline, too! Mostly I use the one-piece wooden ones, no spring - like what you use for a clothespin doll.

They look really similar to the ones I remember, but I think mine were all one piece of wire... my memory's not great, tho. Is the rubber sticky? I recall these had kind of a tacky (not shiny/slick) coating, and perhaps that's what gave them the grip.

I use cheap wood ones, and they do have those extra set of bumps. I bought them from the hardware store and don't even know what brand they were. We hang laundry every day in the spring/summer/autumn. I only do about 1 load in the dryer each week, and it is a big savings in electricity for us. (DH is unemployed after three strokes in February.)

The one happy sideline of hanging clothes is that they seem to last loads longer than clothes that get tumble dried. We try to wear all our clothes at least twice before washing them (we air out if they are a little worn smelling) and then hang them to dry. (I tumble dry underwear and socks, because we don't like crunchy underpants.) Our clothes last so much longer than they used to when I was machine washing and tumble drying.

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

All of you outdoor clothes hangin' mommas, am I crazy to think that hanging our clothes outside will cause us allergy problems? I was so into it, but I didn't hang my clothes outside because of allergies. Two years later everyone in the family suffers from allergies. No one is as bad as me, and everyone is seasonal (mine our 24/7). I didn't hang out laundry this year and I so miss it. Some IRL friends gave me a weird look when I talked about allergies and clothes hanging. I assume pollen gets on the clothes while outside, but maybe I am thinking wrong. What does everyone else think?

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I don't know for certain, but my guess would be that it wouldn't be so much of an issue except during that time of year in the Spring when there is a "high pollen count" and your car is tinged yellow, etc...

Thanks for all the pin recommendations. There are a couple of other little things I've been wanting to order from Lee Valley, so maybe this is my excuse to combine shipping

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2012 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I have had the Lee Valley ones for years and they are holding up wonderfully (the wooden ones). They are slightly larger than normal and work great for quilts etc. as well.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

We are cityslickers and my clothes are most likely to have a touch of smog or pollution, if anything. (You don't want to hang clothes out in a day with a "weather inversion".) We've never noticed pollen on our clothes. I would not put clothes out on those days in early spring when the trees are dropping pollen on everything outdoors. Usually that's only a few days here in PA. We don't have any large fields nearby, either.

Do you have pollen on your cars or on the outside of your windows? How about on your outdoor furniture? If you have pollen on those places, then I would image it would be on your clothing, too, if the clothes were outside all day.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version