Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Dishwasher recommendations?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 03 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

We need a recommendation for a dishwasher (that has to wash a ton of dishes and be more faithful than any of its predecessors)....any recommendations??
Needless to say, I don't want any more quick-break appliances.
Help??
What brands are more trustworthy these days??

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2012 at 5:04am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

We just finished a kitchen remodel and included a new dishwasher in the plans. My dishwasher budget was higher than normal because I thought it was high time I got a decent one it works so much. I have a kitchenaid and paid about(gasp) $800 for it. And I do love it. It cleans so much better than my old one. The only thing I, kind of, didn't like was it can take for-ever to wash. But, I have come to terms with that because I can throw a lot of dirtier dishes at it, and it does the job! My old dw needed "pampering", scrape, rinse, sometimes even brush, THEN load. This baby I scrape, to save the septic, and just toss it in.
I also love my delay button-because this dw heats the water some itself. My old one we had to run the kitchen sink water to hot THEN turn it on, so the delay button would not get the dishes clean because the water never got hot enough! I love my 4 hour delay button to wake up to clean dishes!
I also had to call to get a new utensil basket. The kids toss the forks and knives in with astounding force and one of the little cross pieces in the bottom of the basket broke so that sometimes the utensils would fall through. Kitchenaid was super nice, made sure I knew they were in the good old USA, and I had a new basket, no problem, in a week. And the kids have been instructed to be a bit more careful
So, I am hoping this continues but at this point I am VERy happy with my choice.
Good luck!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 04 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm going to,move this thread to Loom and Larder.

In a recent thread I started about my dishwasher/hand washing woes, I posted this.

CrunchyMom wrote:

I called a trusted appliance store, and the man said that my model of dishwasher will never actually die. This confirms the house inspector's claim last year that if I wanted that dishwasher to die, I'd have to take it out into the yard and shoot it.

Apparently, the old model KitchenAids and Maytags that were built to last have metal gears. The gears never break, but they do wear down and become less efficient, so things don't spin as fast, etc...

Obviously, he is a salesman, but he did say that 22 years was probably pretty good and not worth repairing. He did say that we could buy a new motor for it for about $500 if we wanted to repair it.

The lowdown he gave, for those interested, was this:

He ranked the dishwashers
  1. Miele
  2. Bosch
  3. KitchenAid

He said that Bosch went down in quality when decided they wanted to be competitive in places like Lowes and Home Depot, but you can still get a "better" Bosch, it just costs as much as a Miele.

And for the money, he would recommend the higher end KitchenAid for about $899, which is comparable in quality and both are going to be 10-12 year machines. The higher end Bosch is a lot more at $1299

A Miele will be a 20+ year machine, the low end model comparable in cost to the high end Bosch at $1299

One thing of note, though, is that through the end of the year, Miele is running a unique special that discounts only 2 of their models, the black and stainless models with front controls. They are marked down $400, so the black is only $899.    He said that in discussing it with another rep, they decided it must be about the cost of production. They are trying to make dedicated customers of the 20-30 year old set who wouldn't consider paying more than that but will love them at that price and buy them down the road. It does seem an effective long term marketing strategy.

Of course, not everyone NEEDS a 20 year machine, in that, many people are not planning to stay where they are more than 10-12 years. But it is a good deal! And it is nice to know it is running through the end of the year so we don't have to make a rushed decision like when you see a killer Memorial Day sale or something.

So much to ponder!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2012 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote mathmama

My mom recently replaced a Maytag with another Maytag and I can say...Stay away from Maytags (if you want to wash lots of dishes)!!! It is just my mom and stepdad at her house and they do not generate much in the way of dishes and she was complaining to me how little the dishwasher held. She said that the design is so bad that regular sized glasses won't fit on the top rack...and you can forget about getting any pots or pans into it. It is her understanding that many newer dishwashers have smaller insides to accommodate the extra insulation needed for the energy star rating. I don't know if this is true, but if I were in the market for a new dishwasher I would take some of my dishes to the store to make sure they fit nicely.

Good luck!!

Beth

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I was going to say Miele and Bosch as well. Miele has been on my list forever, especially after having the chance to use one for 3 months when we were abroad. But I've defaulted once more to the Bosch, which we bought (at the time paid $600) when we lived in PA. This time I got one through Craigslist, someone was doing a remodel, and we paid $100. It works well so far. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money for Miele or Bosch. German engineering, well designed inside and out.

No opinions on Kitchenaid, never used one. OTOH used lots of Maytag. My opinion -    

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

We got a Bosch about 18 months ago and I love it. Love, love, love it.

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

We have a lower-end KitchenAid (about $450), which we bought two years ago for our house which had never had a dishwasher. It cleans well, is energy-efficient, and holds a decent amount of dishes.

On the other hand, we're on our third or fourth computer-control motherboard. The first one gave out after about four months. We've never had to PAY for repair visits or new parts, because we bought the extended warranty (which has paid for itself already), but this is still a pain. When it works, it's a great dishwasher, but now we just kind of count on the control panel shorting out after 6 months. Sometimes it doesn't -- I think the last time we had a repairman out was before last Christmas, so it has gone longer this time. This problem is not enough of a drag to make us replace the dishwasher, but it does make me wish I'd maybe had more to spend on a dishwasher at the time.

So, that's our KitchenAid experience. Hopefully the more deluxe models don't have this problem (or have eternal warranties).

Sally

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

FWIW. Our old GE had computer board issues, too. It is where we live in the country with the power surges-according to the repairmen. :). I hope our new KitchenAid is an improvement.   That WAS a pain.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 07 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

We've had our Miele now for at least eight years now and still going strong. For a large family (8 when we bought it, 11 now) I think that's fantastic

Very quiet, washes well but if you don't scrape well you have to clean the filter. It has a top shelf for the cutlery which we love but some may find tedious however it cleans the cutlery really well. Our little ones have pulled at the cutlery shelf and broken the brackets, but we can still use the cutlery shelf by sitting it on the next shelf.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version