Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: New refrigerator..? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

After years of not loving our GE profile, it is time to replace it. We were looking at the LG or Samsung French door models with the freezer on the bottom but the reviews have me very bummed. I'm thinking we may want to just stick with a regular freezer on top model with no water or ice in the door, as those seem to be an issue with every freezer, and the Samsung's and LG's seem so prone to breakage, disappointing considering the price point! Any thoughts? Does anyone have a fridge purchased in the last 5 years or so that you haven't had problems with, and love? Thanks!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2012 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

We are fridge shopping too. I want a bottom freezer, no ice or water in the door (too much trouble, takes up too much room and the kids make too much mess with it)and no french doors. Most of the french doors on the lower end models that we looked at, which is what we can afford, do not close on their own easily. I think the kids would accidentally leave it open. I finally found a plain jane model in my price range at Lowes.

Here is what we ordered.

Good Luck!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2012 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We have a Samsung we bought last year, no ice maker in the door, and we really like it. I can't speak for longevity, but nothing has broken yet, and I have boys.

We had been eyeing this model with the fridge that came with our house being old and small and making weird noises. Dh found it at a home center (can't recall if it was Home Depot or Lowes) for a deep discount because it had two small dents in the door.

The boys do occasionally leave the door open, but it helpfully dings at us if the doors are left open, so it is never for too long.

We had a plain freezer on bottom in our old home, but I REALLY like the French doors and the fact that the bottom works like a big drawer rather than a door.

We don't have the ice maker hooked up, and dh returned the filter that came "free" with it for an extra $40!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2012 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I think this must be the model we got, but I'm not positive.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We own an LG model that has all the features you don't want. I wanted an ice maker and ice and water dispenser (with crushed ice) on the door so the children can help themselves and not open the fridge so often. I picked LG because the dispenser is lower.

We did need to replace something for the dispenser...the motor went out or something. That was just a couple of months ago, and the fridge is over 3 years old. But even with that, I'm still really happy. LOVE the bottom freezer. A larger swinging door wouldn't work in our kitchen, so the French doors are great.

If I could find a brand that wasn't so prone to breaking down I'd buy the same features in a heartbeat.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

JennGM wrote:
We own an LG model that has all the features you don't want. I wanted an ice maker and ice and water dispenser (with crushed ice) on the door so the children can help themselves and not open the fridge so often. I picked LG because the dispenser is lower.

If I could find a brand that wasn't so prone to breaking down I'd buy the same features in a heartbeat.

We do want those features, it just ups the cost and we figure it will break too soon anyway.... So the price tag for the big models with everything seems too high... Especially when we have other projects we want to work on ( we were renting this house until recently and just sold our old house last month so we finally only have ONE mortgage!    

But my husband is very set on the ice maker and water dispenser on the door so I think we may go for a cheaper but pretty side by side.

The crazy thing is we went to look at fridges in the morning as my parents were in town and our door was breaking so we didn't want to wait for it to fall off... We wanted to research and get something during the sale. Then an hour after they left in the afternoon the door broke off! luckily we have a second plain Jane frigidaire in the pantry and we squeezed everything into it for the time being.. This is also why we can consider a side by side as wider items will fit in the pantry fridge. We were looking at lg and Samsung 31 cu foot models but then we realized with the second fridge we don't really need that large a model. Thanks for all your replies. What I really needs a time machine to go back 30 years and get a fridge that lasts!!!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2012 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We got the largest Frigidaire side by side with water and ice in the door 8 years ago. We've had door shelves and such break.. they get hard use with the independant little people around here trying to climb everything in sight but the fridge itself, the motor and thermostats and such haven't had any problems at all.

But you might really consider an older model fridge that is repairable. That's what I did with my washing machine. Got a used one rather than the newer models.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version