Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Need ideas for 3rd grade science Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 22 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I think this is the last subject that I am not certain what I want to do yet. My oldest will be doing his own science this year since he is 6th grade and needs to start doing some work on his own. He is doing Behold & See. Not sure what to do for my young 3rd grader (just turned 8 this month). I have lots of resources on hand, but nothing is calling my name. Will do some praying on this over the weekend, but I wanted to see what others have done for this age.
I guess I am also looking for resources on how to plan a CM science education. In the younger grade we would just read books on different subjects of our choice, but we weren't using living books. We were using any book we could get at the library. Sometimes we would find something good, but usually we just got tired of doing science because we were bored with the reading.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

My two oldest kids will be 7 and 11 this fall, and I am planning to do Noeo with both of them. I bought Bio II, but I am going to supplement with books from Bio I for my younger son.

I decided to do Noeo for lots of reasons. It is CM-friendly, includes lots of living books, and the experiments are built in. I needed that - otherwise we never would have done experiments.

Last year we used lots of the Let's-Read-And-Find-Out Science books for my younger son. Stage 2 was perfect for his reading level, and our library had a large selection. He really enjoyed those books.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

We have fun with Noeo too
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2012 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

We are doing the Pandia Press REAL Science Odyssey Earth and Space this year. This will be for my rising 3rd and 1st graders and another family.
Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

From this thread

AmandaV wrote:
SallyT wrote:
Hm, that is disappointing. I really want something *like* that, all made up for me so that I don't have to make it up myself, but maybe that's why God gave me this summer . . .

Here's another option for nature study, with guidance: Queen's Discovering Nature

A friend of mine has used her copybooks and is considering one of this series for her 2nd grader.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

CrunchyMom wrote:
From this thread

AmandaV wrote:
SallyT wrote:
Hm, that is disappointing. I really want something *like* that, all made up for me so that I don't have to make it up myself, but maybe that's why God gave me this summer . . .

Here's another option for nature study, with guidance: Queen's Discovering Nature

A friend of mine has used her copybooks and is considering one of this series for her 2nd grader.

I just posted some quick thoughts about Queen's series on that other thread. I should add that yes it does say nature study but really in the early years CM does suggest that time outdoors and nature study are what will develop that base for more science interest/need later. Don't let the nature study fool you; it is appropriate life science and what you do with your readings really makes it interesting & rewarding.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2012 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Cassie,

my youngest ds just turned 8 this month, too! I am also trying to figure out what to use for him, in the science area. He absolutely loves doing experiments, so I think I was leaning toward NOEO, that others mentioned. But I have also been interested in the REAL science that is mentioned. Oooh, and the Queen's Discovering Nature looks like fun, too.

I have my afternoon all to myself, so I am going to try and figure out which one might be the most hands-on for ds and can help to answer all his questions!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

I'm continuing BFSU volume 1 for third grade, planning to finish this year if I separate my K daughter so my soon to be 8 year old can go faster. Then we'll move into volume 2. Even though it says K-2 volume 1 can be used with older children. I like the order it provides. You could go through and check off topics he's covered and understands, and then skip over or briefly touch those.

I also just bought Behold and See 3 used and it is so lovely. My son read the first few chapters when it arrived and really liked it. Not sure yet if we'll use it as a "living (text)book" along with BFSU or just allowing him to read it unschooly fashion in his free time and picking experiments and activities he'd like me to help him with.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2012 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful suggestions! They really got me thinking! I did make some decisions and will be using some living books that I had on hand. We are going to study animals at the seashore, in the woods, and science in colonial times (since we are studying american history). I didn't make enough plans for the full year, but hoping to get lots of nature study in during good weather.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version