Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: My little girl won't let me sit down Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
WithAllMyHeart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 13 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote WithAllMyHeart

For the last month or two, just about every time I sit down on a couch/chair/floor my 20-month-old climbs all over me clutching and grabbing at me and fusses and fusses and fusses. I don't know what she wants?!? Nothing I do seems to placate her (except nursing, but even that is only temporary). In fact, almost everything I do seems to make her *more* upset. (Talking, reading, offering juice or snacks, etc.)

If I'm not sitting down, she's fine. So I've been standing up. A lot. And I'm really tired.

She can communicate what she wants pretty well in general, through her limited words and lots of gesturing. So I don't know why she's not doing that?

The combination of having to stand up all the time or listening to her fuss and wrestling with her are wearing me down. I just feel beat up by the end of the day.

Anyone ever had one like this and can give me some advice?

SAHM to a 3 yr old boy and a 1 yr old girl (hoping for more).

Looking for friends who live nearby!
Back to Top View WithAllMyHeart's Profile Search for other posts by WithAllMyHeart

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 13 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

My third is similar, but I'm still in the throes of it, and trying to figure it out. Now that he's 26mo, he has a clearer understanding of, "first this, then this", so I can sometimes put him off and do what I'm in the middle of. I think part of it is his personality though. Some of them sail through the transition more easily than others. He is giving me a run for my money.

Your DD is at a good age to start watching Signing Time videos. They help a lot, esp. when the child isn't can't communicate easily. S is actually quite talkative, but my other two weren't. ST at least helped us get the ball rolling so we weren't as frustrated w/ each other.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2012 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Is she tired? Teething? Thirsty?

My baby is a wretched teether, and there will be weeks where the gums are cyclically puffy and he is a BEAR before the molars actually come through. Seriously, I think his one year molars have taken 4-6 weeks a piece, on an off, before they come through and the next one starts. I was talking about his working on his first molar with the pediatrician at his 1 year visit, and he's 15 months now and only just made it through # 3. And don't they often work on their canines at around 18-20 months, which can be as bad or worse than molars.

Sorry, that was a lot about teething, but for us, it has been a more arduous a process than with any of my others. And, I do think it is worse when I sit because he won't be "put off."

Also, it makes him sleep poorly, so he is more tired those days in spite of napping. Are you sure she's getting enough sleep? She might be tired and want to go to sleep and can't because of her teeth or simply because she is overtired, which makes her more tired and cranky. When my guy is like that, he will sometimes *finally* fall asleep, sometimes it feels like it is a needed "extra" nap, after nursing, but it will take a little longer because he's uncomfortable or overtired and needs winding down. Maybe she's not able to help herself wind down for what she really wants, a nap. Is there something you could do that she likes for napping?

Also, I would try keeping a sippy of water next to my chair to offer immediately when she comes over. At that age, often my little ones get more thirsty from play than they can satiate themselves from a more limited supply nursing, so, if I have them drink *before* I nurse them, they are more satisfied and not frantic wondering why their still thirsty even though they just nursed.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

My son is also going through a VERY clingy period (he turned 2 in April). It has been going on for about 4-5 months. He does let me sit down, but he always turns my face so that I am looking right at him. I do believe he is getting molars. He has one back there and won't let me look. His nap schedule has also been off and he is waking up early. Needless to say, I am ready for it to pass!!! I have found that if I spend a good quality 20 minutes with him (reading him stories, playing with him, etc), he will play on his own for about an hour while I homeschool. I do admit that about half of the time the TV ends up coming on.      This is a really tough age. If you figure it out, please let me know!!!!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Can you stay out of sight? I know it sounds silly, but I do hide from my 2yo. When he's playing nicely with his brother and sisters, he can do so for hours--as long as he doesn't see me! Then the fussing begins. So once I have him situated in play with the olders, I duck out of the room and have a chance to do chores--or just SIT--with him whining or grabbing at me.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

The tired, hungry, thirsty suggestions resonate with what we see with our toddler. When she is getting tired she gets real hard to please. She wants up on my lap, then down, then up, then down, or flops all over me, etc. Teething also fits into this, with her, as well. It's the same for me as Celeste said, if I stay out of sight of her, she fusses less. When I'm working at the other end of the house, while dh watches the kids, she's generally less fussy. So I try to let her have play times in the playpen/gated playyard, and stay out of the room, just so I can get something done, or even just so I can sit a bit.

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

WithAllMyHeart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote WithAllMyHeart

Christine- I had never heard of the Signing Time videos until you mentioned them. I had tried teaching the kids some signs using books, but it wasn't going very well. Do you think my dd is a the age for the baby ones or the regular ones?

Lindsay- You may be right about her being tired. She goes to bed pretty late (between 9 and 10) and she gets up early (between 6:30 and 7:30), but she usually takes a good nap (2-3 hours). I'll try putting her down for an "extra" nap next time and see what happens... I don't *think* she's teething, but I can't really tell? And I don't think she's thirsty, because she gets EXTREMELY irate with me if I offer her a drink. I think she nurses mostly for comfort at this point...

Kristinannie- That is so funny about your ds turning your face towards him! I do find that some undivided attention means a lot to my dd right now, when I can manage it- it tends to make my ds angry, so it's difficult. And I hate to admit it, but Caillou on the dvr has become a weapon in my arsenal, too.

Celeste- I DO stay out of sight as much as I can! I feel so bad doing it, though. It does make me feel a little better to know I'm not the only one hiding, though...

Pilgrim- What you describe is exactly what my dd does! It wears me out!

Thanks, y'all. You gave me some good advice to think about. Sometimes I just need some prompting- the fussing tends to fry my brain to where I can't really think straight...

SAHM to a 3 yr old boy and a 1 yr old girl (hoping for more).

Looking for friends who live nearby!
Back to Top View WithAllMyHeart's Profile Search for other posts by WithAllMyHeart

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version