Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: What is your favorite Nature Journal Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 12 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

There are so many out there. I'm looking for pretty, not blah (not just a run of the mill notebook), is sturdy to take outdoors, can get a bit wet maybe and won't ruin every page, a boy and a girl (ages 10 and 8) would both want to use.

I'm up for using watercolors, watercolor pencils, markers, all of that.

Any links?

Thanks!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Hi Kacky,

I ordered several different kinds of sketch books for our family this spring and this one is my favorite: Canson Field Sketchbooks. I'm not sure if they're what you're looking for, though. They are not "pretty," and they contain only 65lb paper, so they're great for dry methods (pen, pencil, even marker would probably be fine), but aren't great for even light watercolor washes. However, they are *super* sturdy and the paper is really nice to sketch on. It does "feel" heavier than regular 65lb drawing paper, and although it is smooth, I even like the way pastels look on the pages.

Anyway, since my two children work mostly in pen, colored pencil, and pastels, I'll be ordering this one for them next semester--I love the hardback cover! When we do watercolor, I have on hand a bunch of postcard-sized watercolor sheets--we usually paint onto those and then tape them into the nature journals once they have dried (which actually gives a nice collage effect, I think).

As for heavier-weight paper, I did order one of these Pentalic Nature Sketch Books as well. This is heavy (130lb)watercolor paper, which is nice, but the cover is totally flimsy and wouldn't survive being carried around out in the field.

Anyway, looking for suggestions here too! I'm pretty sure I've looked through every sketch book offered at Dick Blick without finding *exactly* what I'm looking for.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

That Canson looks good! And pretty to me means not like a typical Mead blah notebook, kwim?

What size did your kids use? I was thinking 7X10 looks nice, not as big as a piece of paper but big enough for a younger child to write (thinking "bigger handwriting) at least a couple of words across.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I had smaller notebooks for mine last time around (I think they were 5x7) and they used to get frustrated about not having enough space on the page. This time I got them both a 9x12, and they like that size for the reasons you mentioned--my two oldest are only 5 and still have BIG handwriting and they like to write a LOT. But I think the 7x10 would be a great size as well--much easier to cart around too. I will probably move to that size once their writing gets a bit smaller just for the portability factor. Ours gets used most at home and in the backyard, so the size isn't as much an issue.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2012 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I think I bought ours at Michael's last year, but we have a Canson Field Drawing Book with the hard cover, 90 lb cream drawing paper. It's similar to the above, and we have it in the 7x10 size, 120 pages. We did some dry brush techniques for the watercolor and the pages barely buckle. ETA: I can't find the exact one online. This is 80 lb, but half its size. But using the code on the back of the pad (541-2700), I think this is the updated version, 80 lb and 60 sheets.

Ideally, I'd like This Montval Field All Media Book except the size is a bit too large. Would love it in a 7x10. Maybe this one is similar, but only 40 pages

I love the hard cover. It makes a difference when this pad is going in and out of bags and tossed around. As I'm typing this I'm thinking I need to add some kind of tie or rubber band contraption to keep the pages closed, not that there has been an issue, but for prevention.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2012 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I purchased Super Deluxe Sketch Book by Bee Paper Company at Dick Blick two years ago.

These have a fairly heavy cardboard cover and very heavy cardboad back. The paper is very nice, heavy enough for water colors, even when there is more water than color! And, I think the price is reasonable considering the quality.

I have the 6x9 size which is think is good for my children. Sometimes when the page is too big it is very intimidating. However, they have a huge range of sizes so you can get exactly what you want.

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

For those who have nature journals with cold-pressed paper (like the Montval and, I think, the Aquabee)--do you prefer it? I do quite a bit of watercoloring in mine, but since my kids are usually using colored pencils (their medium of choice), they really like a smooth surface--none of us likes trying to fill in color on the toothy surface of cold-pressed paper. Are you using it mostly for dry brush and watercolor?

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Celeste,
The paper in the Super Deluxe Sketch Book "has a nice tooth" the the cover says, but I don't believe that it's actually cold-pressed water color paper. The pages are not perfectly smooth, but yet I would call them smooth compared to water color paper, gwim? My children use all mediums in it and really like it.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2012 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Angel

My daughter and I both like the Moleskine watercolor notebook. It's not an intimidating size, can take watercolor or pencil or pen, has a good sturdy cover with an elastic to keep it closed, and it can be tucked into backpacks or purses or diaper bags with ease.

I should add, though, that we aren't filling ours up at too rapid a rate, so the price kind of evens out. And my dd (who is now 13) has always been pretty serious about her nature journaling. For my younger boys (ages 9 and 6 and 6), I just use a regular sketchbook, whatever I can get that has a good sturdy cardboard cover. They aren't too interested in nature journaling.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version