Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Planning a BIG grad party Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 09 2012 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Amy is graduating as valedictorian of her senior class is two weeks, and in 2 weeks and a day we are having a BIG party. (about 250 people)

What are your favorite foods to make for a large crowd?

We aren't going the hamburger and hot dog cookout route because I don't want hubby to be stuck at a grill.

My mom is getting a large cold meat platter and rolls...but everything else is up in the air.

What are your "go to" party foods? The food will be inside with electricty and refrigeration available.

Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Brownies and ice cream or a big cake for dessert.

Watermelon.

Salads - black bean, red bean and Mexicorn salad with cumin vinaigrette dressing and green onion garnish; tossed green salad; pasta salad.

Chips and dip, pitas and hummus, veggies and ranch dressing for finger foods.

This is pretty much what we do for all large summer gatherings.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2012 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Ham and turkey cooked ahead of time and served cold on a platter works well.

I saw recently where someone took hotdogs and put them vertically in a slow cooker without any water, and it is supposed to taste like the ones cooked on the rollers. I haven't tried it, but a slow cooker will hold a LOT of hotdogs that way.

We got one of those big Igloo coolers for water for larger events. The kids get so hot running around, it can be a challenge to keep up with smaller pitchers or containers, and bottled water seems to get wasted a lot.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I like to get a pork loin and cook it in root beer in the crockpot. After several hours, drain the root beer, shred the pork, and add BBQ sauce. I serve it over rolls.

A crock pot full of that will go a long way!

It's from this recipe on AllRecipes.com.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

How about some big trays of potato bake, fried rice, green salads and potato salads. You could also have baked chicken if wanting a meat.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Just how many crock pots can you get a hold of?

I usually make a huge crock pot full of meatballs and get rolls to make meatball hoagies.

Cold things are great. Fruit is a huge one in the summer here and we freeze absolutely everything. Freeze grapes on cookie sheets for a wonderful snack. (yes, not for little ones). Oranges freeze great as well.

We slice watermelon with the husks on them (in triangles) so that no utensils are needed.

Tortilla chips and salsa, large green salads, veggies and dip (sour cream with ranch packet).

I know your mom was going to do a large meat platter but a great side with that is a cheese tray. Buy the most economical large chunk of cheese and cut it into little squares. It goes a long way and much cheaper than pre sliced cheese. Just remember the toothpicks:)

The one thing I would really stress is plenty of access to large trash cans. With that many people if you don't have plenty you could easily spend the entire day changing out trash bags.

Oh and speaking of trash cans, we fill one up (double bagged) with ice. Makes a great huge cooler and when it melts, it dumps out easily.

Good luck and many congrats to Amy! Job well done!!!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version