Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Organized sports for Littles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 07 2012 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

As I sit here gearing up to face a day taking care of five kids under 9 and then take them all out to baseball tonight after being up since 530 with the three littlest... and doing that every week for the rest of the summer... I am wondering- are organized sports for preschoolers even important?

We live out in the country, in a small village. The only time we leave our property is for playgroup on Thursday and Mass on Sunday. Occasionally a trip to the park or the library is made. On weekends we might go to town for shopping, or I might go alone.

I really, really don't want to spend three nights a week rushing to get everyone fed before Daddy gets home so he/we can make it out the door on time for baseball. Two nights a week he goes with the one kid/group of kids who have practice. Once a week we have three kids spanning two age groups who have practice/games on the same night on opposite ends of town (not OUR town, a town 15 minutes away) OR even in DIFFERENT towns. We have ONE car.

We did this last year and it was awful. I don't know why we signed up again other than we felt like we SHOULD sign up our 4 and 6 year olds because it's the 'right thing to do'.

Everyone we know signs their kids up for sports starting at age 3!! We are already weirdos for not having our kids in hockey or in multiple sports/lessons at the same time.

Anyway... I am tired. And overwhelmed. I miss my nice, quiet evenings at home with my kids and my hubby. My 4 year old is overtired after just the first week of baseball. We have a newborn.

What say you?

Is it better to wait?

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 07 2012 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

We're starting that struggle in my smaller family this year. I really want them to learn the basics of team sports while they are young enough that the competition and skills aren't so rigorous. At this stage, I appreciate that they don't keep score. It's more because they aren't going to get the kickball/soccer/basketball/etc. rules in phys. ed at school that I'm even interested in putting them in the local pee wee league. I think if they were headed to PS, I might push for other types of activities, and skip organized sports.

But boy, doesn't it feel like an intrusion? That's with our field 10min. away, and only one boy playing! I've been fighting DH to have D wait, just to avoid the addt'l practice night and game. I don't want to quit the concept altogether for our family, but at least minimize the time commitment as much as possible. Of course, we live in the city and have a small-ish yard. The addt'l exercise is also a motivating factor.

ETA: I am hoping to put off D until he is 5, or maybe even eligible for the 6/7 league (at which point G will have aged-out). I, personally, don't see the need for a 4yo to do it. But, I think G, aged 6, is at the oldest age when being clueless is still cute and acceptable.   He's able to watch the other kids and slowly learn the rules and get a few skills while avoiding being self-conscious.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

I wouldn't lug everybody around town at this age, but that's just me. My oldest didn't start soccer until age 7, and that was only a 6 week program. I get the "I should be doing ____________" bug sometimes and it is hard not to be persuaded into following the crowd.

I can't believe that you practice more than once a week per child. Is that normal in baseball?

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2012 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We don't care for baseball at all so we do not do it. Which means that the sports we do (swimming and lacrosse) start respectively at age 6-8 depending on ability and grade 4.

But of course I have enough kids plus kids in the neighborhood plus relatives that they do "pickup" types of games and there isn't any difficulties with learning to play any sport as a fun activity. Matter of fact when we get together with my sister the kids often occupy themselves playing some variation of baseball or football.. pretty cute to see ages 3-15 playing together.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2012 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

One compromise we found worked for us was having the boys do a week long soccer "camp" last summer. It let me feel like they were learning the basics of a sport so they could participate in a pick-up game with friends, but it didn't intrude so much in our life. One week of half days, and that was it. We're focusing on swimming this summer, but I think next summer, we might do some more sports camps.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Rebeccca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 07 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote Rebeccca

Hello!

The first thing I would say is that, in my opinion, at the ages of your children, trees, water, grass, sky, mud, dirt, run, climb, swing, yahooooooooo! are the best sports of all.

It's what we went with. However, as my daughter approached an older age, she didn't want to climb, and run, and play as much any more. Oh, around 11 or a bit before, I'd say.

I have one child so the dynamics are very different b/c I do feel that I really have to make an effort to get her out to do things.

However, I just cannot bear to sacrifice our evenings at home to organized sports/activities. I have had to say no to some things my daughter really wants to be involved with (plays and martial arts) because they are not only at night (which is strike one) but multiple nights (which is strike two, three, and as many strikes as evenings out of the house).

We scoured the city a couple of summers ago and spent several months looking for acceptable sports:
-- one my daughter wanted to participate in
-- and that did NOT meet in the evenings
-- but would meet enough times per week for me to feel that my daughter was getting a good exercise program.

The list was short! And at some point we had to decide that one night per week would be acceptable.

We did find one and really enjoy it as a family.

There are several large families on our swim team and a couple of them require all their kids to participate so that the whole family is together and not stretched among 2, 3, 4 or more sports. One mom was telling me that her boys want to quit for another sport. She told them that they couldn't quit for football but would have to choose a sport that the entire family, girls included, could participate in.

So, those are just my rambling thoughts. I hope at least one of them helps you come up with a good way for you.

Oh, we also pray before making choices like this and then as a family write down the rules for choosing that we think are most godly. Then we follow them . . . the best we can.

Back to Top View Rebeccca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebeccca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2012 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I don't have as many as you, but we didn't sign our oldest up until age 8 for baseball this spring. This is our first organized sport for the family. That age isn't too late to start. There's a wide variety of ability at this age. Sometimes it was a little busy, but we got a good rhythm. We didn't have too many practices or games, and nothing on Sundays.

We're really homebodies, so this was an adjustment, but we really are enjoying it. I've become a Baseball Mom. We probably won't do fall ball, just spring.

Before the official sports didn't mean we don't play sports -- backyard baseball and football happen regularly. We are trying very hard to make sure if we take up an official sport that it doesn't lose the joy of playing. Yesterday my two boys spent hours out back pitching to each other with very few arguments and all smiles. It was a joy for me.

I digress. We also have a great community here that have some great Catholic dads (who are teachers and coaches at the local Seton School) who host sports camps through the summer. We have been doing the basketball camps for a few years, and this will be the second year for baseball camp.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Krista,

It sounds from your post that the only reason you're doing this is because you think you *should* be, and that in every other way you are dreading it. Is that about right?    If so, I would say skip it, for sure!   

I am in a similar position to you: we have 5 kids under age 6 and I am five months pregnant with Baby #6. My two oldest are almost-6 and 5, and this was the first year we signed them up for anything--in our case, a Saturday morning swim class (Daddy takes them while I stay home with the little ones). It works well with our schedule, so we will continue that in the fall--but that's it. Their cousins and friends are enrolled in other sports and classes and whatnot, and we may revisit that option in the future when my crew is a little more manageable. But for now, we do playdates and park days that are casual and non-obligatory with good friends, and we spend the rest of the time at home.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 07 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

kristacecilia wrote:
I am wondering- are organized sports for preschoolers even important?

At the risk of tomatoes flying in from all directions and ready to take 'em if they come my way:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is important? PLAY!!!!!

I thought you'd really enjoy this article of Karen Andreola's: Rosy-Cheeked and Resourceful

I like organized sports. I do! I believe in them, and we love baseball! But NOT for preschoolers!

We begin around the age of 8, and even then it is with some family (dad/parent led) discussions on a full schedule and what we can handle as a family, and the responsibilities a child may be willing to take on for the family to make a sacrifice of time on their behalf. It is a thoughtful decision and everyone is on board!

And that....my friends....is my EXTREMELY OPINIONATED, PASSIONATE, CHOLERIC, UNAPOLOGETIC 2 cents.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

kristacecilia wrote:
I am wondering- are organized sports for preschoolers even important?

Oh my.....NO!!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!!!

Totally not important!
Fun? Sure. Can be!
Things to be gained? Certainly!
But, not IMPORTANT! Especially if it's taking away from other things more important! There are a MILLION things more IMPORTANT at THAT AGE than organized sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's fun for the child and easy and no-biggie for your family, then CERTAINLY DO IT!

If it's a pain-in-the-rear, then FORGET IT!

We didn't do ANYTHING "organized" until my oldest daughter was about 8.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I know some wise homeschool moms who have the FIrst Holy Communion Rule: no organized sports until you have made your first communion.
That would be around 8 years for most kids... way past the preschool age.

I have also read that some kids who start organized sports in preschool are burned out by their early teens, a time when sports is a good outlet for them. Orthopedic surgeons are also seeing way more sports injuries in younger kids that come from overuse... things they wouldn't normally see until adulthood: torn rotator cuffs, etc

These are just some thoughts... I agree that there is no need to rush!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

HSMama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 07 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote HSMama

important? NO!!!

Trust me, there's plenty of time in the future for sports and lots of activities. They grow up so fast and the next thing you know you'll be driving them to and from tons of activities. Believe me, there's plenty of days I would love to go back in time when my older kids were 6,4 and 2 and just enjoy those days when we didnt have to be anywhere.

Now, my oldest started baseball at 7. Little brothers started a bit earlier since we were already at the fields for big bro's practice. I let them decide when they want to start t-ball. But, here's the thing- they have to be ready. No playing in the dirt. They have to be into the game. I'm not going to waste my time taking them to games and practices to just have them goof off and play in the grass and dirt. One decided to skip tball, the other started at 5, one at age 4 and one at 3 (he could NOT WAIT!!!) It's different for everyone, and I personally would not do it if they did not love the game. But since my kids are so into baseball I make the sacrifices needed to fuel their passion.

I've accepted that with 5 kids on rec teams and 2 on allstars that I will be at the field 6-7 days a week in the spring. We've made a ton of new friends at the field and I admit I enjoy socializing and watching the games. However if I were you I would wait. Enjoy your time at home together. Take a swimming class or gymnastics class if they really want to do something- those are usually only once a week. This whole childhood thing goes by so quick. In the blink of an eye they will be getting ready for their confirmation, learning to drive, graduating (sniff, sniff)

Back to Top View HSMama's Profile Search for other posts by HSMama

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2012 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Preschool sports aren't even a little bit important.

We aren't really much into sports at all, but I let them do experiment in some stuff when they are about 8-10.   A free golf clinic. A summer basketball day camp. If they seem to just LOVE it and want to do more, we'll dig and search for a way to make it happen.

We tend to enjoy playing. We've done all kinds of stuff over the years. Archery, Golf, tennis, swimming, ballroom dance lessons, bowling, soccer...

Whatever.

Mostly they still like climbing trees.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2012 at 4:44am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Thank you all. I have been trying to reply since yesterday, but the baby had other plans for my time.

I guess the reason I feel like we should is because we ARE homeschooling- like I have an obligation to involve them in something organized because they aren't in school. Here kindergarten starts at age 3/4. I think that is a horrible idea, though, so I don't know why I still give in to the sports pressure?!

DH feels that we should ride this year out and re-evaluate next year. I think we will make them wait until the second age group- so ages7/8/9. That will save us some headache.

ETA. Plus my father in law stopped by yesterday and offered to be the second adult for the nights the two groups overlap. So now I can stay home with the babies. That took so much pressure off I nearly cried. Lol. I might also be a little hormonal, though.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2012 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

kristacecilia wrote:
ETA. Plus my father in law stopped by yesterday and offered to be the second adult for the nights the two groups overlap. So now I can stay home with the babies. That took so much pressure off I nearly cried. Lol. I might also be a little hormonal, though.

I would cry to have that support, too! Driving kids around can be a real hassle when you have little ones in tow.

Ugh, keeping my girls entertained while my boys are in Karate for an hour is challenging enough, and that's only an hour.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2012 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I feel your pain. We learned the hard way with my first son and T-Ball at age 5. (Opening Ceremonies was Good Friday... sheesh.)

Won't ever do that again. I agree 100% with those who say it's not important at early ages! It might even be detrimental in some cases!

Kids need lots and lots of free, unstructured play time. Pickup games are where excellent skills and abilities are learned.

Each family is different of course and there are extenuating circumstances... but I am resisting more and more the structured early childhood.

We've even fizzled out of Cub Scouts. We are big fans of Boy Scouts because that's where manly, independent skills are learned. But Cub Scouts is where Mom stays up checking off requirements for awards and gets guilted into volunteering for the next overpriced popcorn sale drive.

Ultimately, we came up with a criteria for extracurricular activities that fit our family... to avoid the burnout.

1-No more than two days a week of commitment (except if there's a special event).
2-It must directly benefit the individual.
3-(The tough one) It must directly benefit the family.
4-If a child shows a particular gift or skill in one area, we will do what we can to support it as far as we are able.

So T-ball is out. Piano lessons are in. Hap-Ki-Do martial arts are in (we all benefit from the children learning skills of discipline, respect, and self-mastery). After this year, Cub Scouts are out. Boy Scouts will be in next year (the family benefits from Father/Son camp outings, man skills, service, community-related OTHER thinking). One son is especially gifted musically. We may look into additional music (violin) lessons or activities for him....

Anyway, this is just our personal philosophy. I read a book once that talked about the damages of too much early childhood structured activities... and the need for free play, free pickup games... what was it???

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2012 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

knowloveserve wrote:

Anyway, this is just our personal philosophy. I read a book once that talked about the damages of too much early childhood structured activities... and the need for free play, free pickup games... what was it???

Was it Meg Meeker's book "Boys Should Be Boys" ?
That covered a lot of that type of thinking....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2012 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

VanessaVH wrote:
knowloveserve wrote:

Was it Meg Meeker's book "Boys Should Be Boys" ?
That covered a lot of that type of thinking....

I think that one talks about it pretty heavily. Other titles I read that also talk about that are Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child. Also Richard Louv's books, Last Child in the Woods and The Nature Principle: Reconnecting with Life in a Virtual Age discuss a little of that, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Claire F
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote Claire F

I totally understand how you feel - feeling the need/pressure to do organized activities because they aren't in school. I feel the same pressure, and have run into obstancles that although are different (stemming more from my 5 year old's reluctance to join in such activities), I feel similar conflicted feelings.

But I very much agree with everyone who said those types of activities really aren't important at that age. I've had to remind myself of that very often this year. My oldest (7) LOVES his sports and would be heartbroken if we didn't let him participate. But my 5 year old is so different and doesn't like organized activities of any kind, really. I find myself feeling like he *should* be in some sort of sport or class or activity, because he must want to, given that big brother likes being involved. But I'm finding it just isn't so. We had an incident just today - both boys are enrolled in a rec gymnastics class at our YMCA and while my oldest loves going, my 5 year old would not go in today. Sigh. I'm having to reevaluate what to do with him as far as outside activities and it's a tough call.

Sorry to digress a little. I just wanted to share that I do understand your feelings and if I were in your shoes, I'd probably be skipping it. I do hope having the extra help is a huge weight off your shoulders and it works out for your family. But I'd suggest not putting too much pressure on yourself to do it all, especially during this already busy season of life.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Ah, I think it was Louv!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version