Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: L.A. program for a 7th Grader Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I've been racking my brains over what to do with my dd for her Grade 7 year L.A..
So far, I've got CHC's Language of God and Speller books, a Seton handwriting book, and "The Secret Code of Poetry" -- also from CHC.
My facilitator said she's ready to do One Year Adventure Novel, but I'm thinking that may be too much with what I already have planned. Especially if we can use it for highschool to get a credit, should we go that route.
There'll probably be written narrations and a number of books to read in there as well.
Also, there is Pattern Based Writing which we began this year with all of my children and will carry over into the beginning of next year.
If I don't do OYAN, will what I already have planned be enough?

"Live as though your judge were to meet you today, and you will not fear Him when He does come." - St. Augustine
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Yes, what you already have planned is plenty.
Especially if I'm presuming there will be writing assignments in history and science.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

This is very much like what my now-8th-grader did last year: Language of God, handwriting, and literature. Seemed quite sufficient for us. And the composition component of LOG is quite good for that level.

This year, in 8th, my son did do One-Year-Adventure Novel (plus other literature, but no formal grammar). This has been a great experience -- as you already know, I was just talking about it on this thread -- and, I think, a very good "bridge" from more juvenile writing to the demands of high school.

It is possible to give some high-school credit in 7th and 8th grades*: this year I'm giving high-school credits to my 8th grader for algebra 1 and German, for example. You may also opt to award high-school credit for an elective, if the work seems high-school-level to you. So you might count OYAN as a creative-writing elective, worth one credit, even in eighth grade. (this is all per the policies of the umbrella school we've used, but it makes sense: you can creditably do this on a transcript for college. We did have some college applications which asked us exactly *when* certain courses had been taken, so depending on the college, this does matter).

If your child is ready to do something like this sooner rather than later, it might be good to go ahead and slot it in in eighth grade, leaving more space for more electives/requirements/whatever in her schedule during her high-school years. In my experience so far, there's far less time than you'd think in those four years to do everything you'd really love to do.

So maybe you've got both 7th and 8th grades planned! Score!

Sally

*Just FYI: things you can typically give high-school credit for in 7th and 8th grades:

algebra or other high-school-level math

foreign language (again, if undertaken on a high-school level, ie both Latina Christiana I & II in a year, or the first half of Henle Latin I, or the equivalent in whatever language you choose)

fine arts or other electives undertaken on a high-school level

Things you typically can't give high-school credit for in 7th and 8th grades:

English/language arts
U.S. History (apparently it's very common to do U.S. history in 8th, but colleges expect to see evidence of U.S. history done late in high school, on a more advanced level)

Again, this is the policy for a college-prep diploma through our umbrella school, but it seems very common-sense to me, in that it's a good guideline for developing a record which colleges would take seriously.

That's a total aside from your question, so sorry for the hijack! But your mention of credit made me think about all this, and I hope some of it's helpful.

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2012 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

What school board are you with? I tried to use OYAN for my dd15 grade 8 last year and they wouldn't allow it to be used for credit! It was frustrating. I do intend to use it anyway..lol

Anyway, I did a mishmash with my dd13 grade 7 this year. She did LoG and the Catholic Speller, then did APS for the balance. She liked it well enough.

Next year for grade 8, we'll be doing similar, LoG, Secret Code of Poetry, and the Stories of the Saints(which includes essay writing). She will be doing the balance of the APS. I tend to add to LA, as the APS is weak-ish. And easy to get complete. Plus then I get feed back from the facilitator..

I don't know. LOL.. maybe I'm doing too much, but we are working at essay skills big time next year as it is one of the weakest points for all my kids thus far, so I want to make her stronger!

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2012 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Thank you for your replies, ladies! They're fantastic!
Don't have time to reply too much right now, crazy day, but I am with Okotoks - Center for Learning at Home. I'm seriously considering moving my oldest to Wisdom. (I have a backlog of receipts to last another year or two most likely and want to get reimbursed for them. So I know I'll be there for awhile longer yet.) Who are you with?
And what is APS?
gtg!

"Live as though your judge were to meet you today, and you will not fear Him when He does come." - St. Augustine
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Mommy4ever --

I wasn't sure if you were asking me or not, but: We're with a "church-related school"/umbrella school called HomeLife Academy. We began with them when we lived in TN, to satisfy our state's legal requirements, and have stayed with them (or actually, left and come back) for the sake of transcripts, guidance counseling services, etc. My oldest graduated successfully as a "DIY" homeschooler, but my next one up, the aforementioned 8th grader, has some fairly serious ambitions which I think will be well served by our being with HLA.

They don't prescribe a curriculum and essentially trust parents to design, or choose, their educational program; at the same time, their guidelines for a high-school course of study are very, very useful.

As it happens, I'm not counting OYAN as a high-school credit; it's just the composition component of 8th-grade English for us. If I were doing it for high school, I think I'd count it as a creative-writing elective, though you could just as easily call it "composition" for whatever year.

Sally

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Syncletica, We are with the School of Hope, based out of Vermillion, but a non-resident board. It's much like Center For Learning.

APS - Alberta Program of Studies. Somethings I just can't wrap my brain around to keep them on track so if they want to go to school at one point, they have some background as to what the kids study. At this point, dd13 is considering trying out high school. DD8 is happy as a clam at home..lol. So we're more eclectic. I just log in and see what they are studying by grade and try to include a couple common topics, for her anyway.

But I have to say, when we get in a group, say the parish youth group, she holds her own very nicely. People always comment that we 'don't seem like homeschoolers' lol

I have loved the CHC curricula for Language Arts. I do wish the younger ones, had the writing assignments, in Laguage of God, integrated into the book rather than as an appendix, as dd sometimes like to truck ahead and we miss the assignments. It would be less likely to be missed if it was right in there. But the grade 7 one doesn't have the appendix.

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 12 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I forgot to mention that I think I'll also do OLVS literature.
Soooo, Junior High plans will include:

Gr. 7:
CHC's Language of God and Speller books,
Seton handwriting book
"The Secret Code of Poetry"
OLVS - Literature (which include the books: "The Gauntlet"; "Flame of White"; and "Stories of Don Bosco"
**plus assmts from History and Science like Martha mentioned.

Gr. 8:
CHC's Language of God
One Year Adventure Novel
OLVS - Literature ("Men of Iron"; "A Tale of the Wars of the Roses"; "Outlaws of Ravenhurst"

Gr. 9:
Teaching the Essay and Research Paper
OLVS Literature - I think I'll do the Catholic Heroes series

Do these seem reasonable? I probably need something extra for Grade 9. But it's great to have a plan in mind!! Let's me breathe a bit easier.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version