Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Late 1800's early 1900's Immigration Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 24 2012 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

I'm sure there is a list here somewhere, but I can't find it.

I am looking for read alouds and picture books for an immigration study with my 1st graders and 4th grader.

I would also like an idea of some books that my dd-10 and ds12 could read on their own for this time period....they are NOT strong readers.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 07 2012 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Joann - I don't know how I missed this - well yes, I do we had our Catholic history fair that day and I was very busy and not online for a few days, but I usually am able to catch everything when I get back on. Apparently I didn't and I just saw your request while looking for something else. Maybe it is too late for your needs but I did compile a list for an overall history timeline list. So here are the immigration books.

Immigration to US: mid - late 1800's
Katie's Wish (Barbara Hazen) - immigration (Ireland), potato famine, 1845-50
Small Beauties: The Journey of Darcy Heart O'Hara (Elvira Woodruff) - immigration (Ireland), 1840s
Oranges on Gold Mountain (Elizabeth Partridge) - immigration (China), 1850's
Miss Bridie Chose a Shovel (Leslie Conner) - immigration (Ireland), 1856
Brothers (Yin) - immigration, transcontinental railroad (China), 1860s
Feivel's Flying Horses (Heidi Smith Hyde) - Jewish immigrants, late 1800s, New York, Coney Island, carousel carvers
The Keeping Quilt (Patricia Polacco) - Jewish immigrants, late 1800s-present day family tree
Streets of Gold (Rosemary Wells) - turn of century immigration (Jewish, Russia), based on memoir of immigrant, Mary Antin

Immigration to US: 1900 - present day
The Memory Coat (Elvira Woodruff) - turn of the century, immigration (Russia)
An Ellis Island Christmas (Maxinne Rhea Leighton) - immigration (Poland)
When Jessie Came Across the Sea (Amy Hest) - turn of the century, immigration (Eastern Europe)
The Dream Jar (Bonnie Pryor) - turn of the century, immigration (Russia)
Grandfather's Journey (Allen Say) - immigration (Japan)
Kai's Journey to Gold Mountain (Katrina Currier) - immigration, Angel Island (China), 1930's
Junk Man's Daughter(Sonia Levinton) - pre-WWII, immigration (Germany)
Silent Movie (Avi), 1909, silent movies, immigration (Sweden)
A Day's Work (Eve Bunting) - modern day, immigration (Mexico)
The Lotus Seed (Sherry Garland) - immigration (Vietnam)
Rebekkah's Journey: A World War II Refugee Story (Ann Burg ) - WWII, Jewish immigrants

You'll notice some are more recent immigrations - not only early 1900's, but those are marked. There are more out there but I think these are the better ones and I tried to cover a variety of countries/regions where immmigrants came from. These books are also the ones covering the actual immigration. I have a whole list which includes books that are more focused on the immigrants lives after in America and don't cover the immigration. Interested?

Oh and there are some good non-fiction books that don't exactly qualify as picture books, but are really beatiful and engaging which I could add.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2012 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Thanks so much for this list, Mary. I was covering this a little with dd-10, and the ds-7 and dd-6 were following along with the picture books I found on my own. My dd-10 loves this time in history, so I think I will revisit this over the summer and follow some rabbit trails with all the kids concentrating more on where the immigrants came from and how their lives changed once they got to America.

Thanks again!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 07 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, and I knew there was a past thread on this topic which includes some recommendations for chapter books as well as the picture books (many of which are on my list).

Immigration/Emigration unit?

And would add that a chapter book (though short) I would recommend for immigrant studies is The Trees Kneel at Christmas (Maud Hart Lovelace) - Lebanese immigrants, 1950s

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version