Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Mara L Pratt--American History Stories Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 23 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Is anyone familiar with these books? I bought the Yesterday's Classics e-book collection a while back, and it is taking me a while to wrap my head around all that I have! These look interesting, but I can't find anything on the boards. Of course, I could read them, but I wondered if there were any known issues. I'm thinking of it as a replacement for This Country of Ours.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 14 2012 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Bumping this. I've looked at the stories, and my impression is that they are easier to read while still engaging and better suited to narration than This Country of Ours, allowing me to be a little heavier on the supplemental books, which I would prefer.

I just haven't read them all in depth, and I'm wondering if anyone has any issue with their being anti-Catholic in any way.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

I don't have any info, but am very interested too.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Interested here too!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Lindsay,

Did you end up using these? Any updated thoughts?

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2012 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I am interested too! I read selections of "This Country of Ours" and am thus far not impressed with the accuracy of many of the statements. I know that all history books will be bias to some degree, and while I don't agree with the practices of some religions, I more strongly do not agree with portraying them inaccurately.... Not just anti-Catholic, but anti-truth at all in some sections of "This Country of Ours". :(

Has anyone really delved into these books yet?

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2012 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

We read several chapters on main lesson around July 4 - the chapters on independence, etc. We listened on librivox as we read on my ipad, or on the TV (we have an appletv device to link the ipad to the TV). I liked the language and the narrative structure. I ended up buying the ebook set from Yesterday's classics and we've begun reading the first few chapters, again while listening, and my son reads to himself as well. So far I really like the writing style and the author seems fair to all sides. Similar to Eva March Tappan's style, maybe? I've only read her Queen Elizabeth. Anyhow, I like it so far, and since my son read most of the second half of Eggleston's US History book without always narrating, I think we are switching to Pratt as a spine to finish our American History. (We've been informally/formally studying it since First grade.) I'll probably start over with Eggleston with my daughter independently since she gets frustrated that he "knows everything" or knows more than her... of course he's been an independent reader for almost 3 years so he has read a lot more than she has been read/read.
Hope that helps!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Oh, one more thing. I have not read very far ahead.. I am hoping too, inspired by When Children Love to learn, and Caroline's recent post on lesson planning. I am also no history buff... but I think that Maria Rioux suggests Pratt in her lists, or has on her TheHistoryPlace yahoo group.

Amber-v
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Amber-v

We are using these as our history spine this year and I am pleased with them. I haven't found anything anti-Catholic (we started using it this year and began about halfway through the second volume - I haven't read everything, but I have read parts here and there to get a feel for it. I like the tone and style, and I like how the author incorporates some poetry, songs and anecdotes along the way.

One thing about the book that you may or may not like - Pratt will sometimes introduce a historical figure (like President Van Buren) then follow that up saying something along the lines that some stuff happened, it is a little complicated, and don't worry about it right now. I don't think it is condescending the way it is written, but I do sometimes wonder why the author mentions it at all!

I was not using a US history spine before this because I hadn't found one I liked... And so far this one seems pretty good.

Amber

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version