Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Timeline Cards Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 21 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

I'm searching for timelines. I've come across the cards from Catholic Schoolhouse, Classical Catholic Memory, Home School In The Woods, Hands on History, RC History, History Worth Remembering, and the ones from Classical Conversations.

I've found numerous sites to print or purchase cds to print, but I do not have a color printer (nor do I have the time). I really just want a set of cards I can reference, preferably in color, on durable stock.

Does anybody own colored timeline cards?

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

I forgot to mention that this will not take the place of a BOC when my oldest is ready. I just want a flashcard style set of historical events and people for reviews and other memory work.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We really like the timeline cards from CCMemory! They are larger, 4x6 I believe and on cardstock. They are divided by old/new testament times. The old testament has a purple border, the new testament and later (up to the present) has a green border. The pictures on the cards are in color. There is a paragraph or more on the back regarding the event. These would work great as flashcards for memory work, imo!

How I use them:

According to CCM I introduce about 6 per week. We study them that week, learning the order, sometimes the dates of the events, reading the backs to learn about the event, etc. Then at the end of the week I hang them up, timeline style. We have a very nice looking timeline hanging on the walls around our sunroom right now.

This is the first I have even managed to keep up with a timeline. Next year I will be buying the kids nice Book of Centuries notebooks. I am going to use these timeline cards as part of their entries. They wont put the actual card in the book but they will make entries based on the information on the card.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Thank you. I'm having a hard time deciding between the CCM cards and the Catholic Schoolhouse cards. The schoolhouse cards would come out to $120 for the set, with 345 cards (.35/card). The CCM is $50 for 144 cards (.35/card). So, they cost the same per card.

Hmmm. I don't know. Thanks for letting me know your experience with the cards.

jovamama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote jovamama

Hello,

Here are my thought on your choices.

Classical Conversations are very anti-catholic printed by Vertas Press and very expensive. Now with that said, the comments on the back are what is anti-cahtolic not the front. $20? a pack and for longivity it is recommended to laminate. I was a tutor for them for several years before God opened my eyes and made we realize that it is not where he want our family.

CCM is very simalar to the CC's timeline except very catholic and you get all 144 for $49.95. They are very good quality and you can use over an over each year.

Catholic Schoolhouse you have to order a set from each cycle and there are 120 in each set. That is a lot to remember. Quality it not as good as CCM.

I can't reveiw the other since I don't use them or have them. I can only say I didn't like them.

I would recommend CCM because they will lay a very good foundation for the timeline and will allow your children to establish the pegs needed to maintain the memory.    

It is also very easy to introduce 6-8 cards a week.

OOPs I just re-read you last posting and didn't realize you were looking at CCM & Catholic Schoolhouse. Sorry about that.

I hope that helps.

God Bless,

Beth
Back to Top View jovamama's Profile Search for other posts by jovamama

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

jovamama wrote:
Hello,

Catholic Schoolhouse you have to order a set from each cycle and there are 120 in each set. That is a lot to remember. Quality it not as good as CCM.

I was also thinking it was a lot of cards, but since they were split into different time eras I thought it might not be too overwhelming (or might be nice to have the pictures in the upper elementary years for BOC inspiration).

But, you say the quality is better with CCM, right?

jovamama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote jovamama

What I like about the CCM timeline cards is you repeat it every year and this solidify the knowledge and make the timeline more concrete.

It would be really hard to have a solid timeline if it is cyclical (every three years) not yearly. If you continually use the same info and add to their BOC they will always refer back to that specific event with the time lien. They will alwasy have the timeline no matter how old they are.

For example: We were reading about the early explorers and they were able to tie into the timeline and what happen before and after.

If you use the CS timeline it would be scattered.

I hope that helps.

God Bless,

Beth

jovamama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote jovamama

[/QUOTE]

I was also thinking it was a lot of cards, but since they were split into different time eras I thought it might not be too overwhelming (or might be nice to have the pictures in the upper elementary years for BOC inspiration).

But, you say the quality is better with CCM, right?[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention. You could go to Google Image to find the event or person to get the same picture.

Blessing,

Beth

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Thanks Beth, it's making a bit more sense to go for the "less is more" approach.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version