Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: summer reading Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 18 2012 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

DS finishing 3rd grade can read well and comprehend - it is just encouraging reading chapter books that is tough. I want to do something this summer to encourage him getting into chapter books (we have lots here just right for him and at the library). So list what you have done with your kids in summer to encourage reading. Just having a summer reading log won't quite do it. . . So far all I come up with is a log where after he logs in a certain amount we go do something fun together. . . .

Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 18 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I've never done anything trendy or listy...it just takes me some time to find the right series that hooks 'em. Once I do, I just have to keep the books supplied and coming in!

I do make sure that books/reading isn't competing with video games or tv, so we really limit that to make sure there's plenty of time for playing outside and for sitting inside and reading. And I might even sit down and start a book with my new reader - start reading it aloud, get them hooked on the story, and then hand it over to them to read after reading a few chapters aloud. One thing that has helped with reading time is that we have two periods of the day that are specifically set aside for reading: afternoon quiet time, and evening reading time. Both are non-negotiable. Having that time in the day set aside, and a good book to dig into has meant plenty of reading time around here for all those that are of reading age.

Looking at my new reader's interests and passions gives me some clues on where to look for book series, but a series with fantastic writing is a no-fail option. A fantastic thread for looking through to gather ideas is: Finding Series that Boys Love.

Thinking here...our favorite first-chapter-books-for-a-boy-around-3rd-grade-age-for-indep endent-reading are:

** Happy Hollisters series
** Boxcar Children series
** Thornton Burgess series
** Billy and Blaze series
** Wind in the Willows
** Homer Price, and Centerburg Tales by Robert McCloskey
** All the E.B. White books, but especially The Trumpet of the Swan and Stuart Little

Good luck getting the reading ball rolling, Barb!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 18 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

In agreement with all of Jen's suggestions. Some further ones that have been enjoyed:

Some of Beverly Cleary books we've begun.
Marguerite d'Angeli books
Emil and the Detectives
My Father's Dragon
Dr. Doolittle

A little more advanced but enjoyable: (** are perfect for summer)

Books by Eleanor Estes, such as Moffats and Ginger Pye
**Elizabeth Enright series -- Gone Away and Melendy Quartet series
The Railway Children
Half Magic and others by Edward Eager
The Borrowers series
**Swallows and Amazons series (we're listening on cd)

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version