Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Spelling Wisdom ebook Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

For those of you who use Spelling Wisdom from Simply Charlotte Mason, would you discourage someone from purchasing the ebook format in favor of the printed format?

We have several devices I could use to read it off of, or I could print it, if I purchased the e-book. But I really love the idea of having a hard copy on my shelf, too.

I could always print the e-book off and bind it at Staples or something, too, I suppose?

Any suggestions on purchasing this program in e-book format vs. printed format? Is it better to have it in printed format so the child can study the selection?

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Krista,
I think the ebook option is fantastic for those who live overseas, or if you find the cost of the printed copy prohibitive, but could afford the ebook. Another reason to consider the ebook is if you're really on the fence about this being a useful tool...you could just purchase one ebook to try for a year. It would be a good way to try and you wouldn't invest too much $ that way.

There could be pros and cons going both ways (ebook vs. printed). I use and prefer the hard copies, but I could certainly make the ebooks work, too. I would ABSOLUTELY print all the indexes and punch them and keep them as reference in my home ed notebook because I use the indexes all the time!

I'll try to list some of the pros and cons:

Pros of ebook:
:: Receive immediately and use immediately
:: No shipping costs
:: Print multiple copies of the same selection easily if you are using the same book with more than one child.
:: Less costly initially
:: Print as needed and let the child use his printed copy to write on. I can see this being very useful:
    Have the child underline the part(s) of speech you're studying right now.
    Underline or highlight challenging spelling words.
    Make a list of vocabulary words on the page that the child can define if he doesn't know what words mean.
    We use Winston Grammar with our dictation selections, so we use the paper (we have to make copies though) to mark up our sentence with Winston Grammar references, or "mapping it" with the W/G cards.
I can do all of this with my printed book, I just have to make a copy. So, same thing....just printing from ebook gets you there in one step.

Cons of ebook:
:: You have to remember to print selections and this could be burdensome if you don't get into a routine of printing selections regularly, or you don't take the book to be printed somewhere.
:: Though the ebook is less expensive, you will be using your own paper and printer cartridges so there is cost there.

It really could be very individual, Krista. Yes, you should have a printed version for the child to study. I think both could work well - just decide what would work best for you - print yourself, or pull a bound book off the shelf.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I have it as an eBook and I look through it sometimes on my Kindle, but usually on the computer. I print out my son's selection each Sunday and he puts it in a sheet protector with his daily schedule on one side and his dictation passage on the other.

I think I would like to have the hard copy, too, but I do like the eBook because it allows me better options for searching. Recently we've been studying the Revolutionary War, so with the eBook I've been able to search for different terms/people and come up with appropriate selections that fit with our studies.

I also decided to get the eBook because book space is limited here, and I was able to get the entire selection for a reasonable cost.

Depends what works for you, though!

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Thanks, Jen.

One of the issues we are having is a space issue. My bookshelves are full. We do have plans to expand but it's not on the immediate horizon.

I thought about the needing a printed paper for the child to study from, but as you said, that would just be making a copy vs. printing a copy. Actually, printing a copy for me is easier because I can do that from my computer and send a child to fetch it for me, whereas a copy has to be made with me in person (our printer is on another floor).

I would probably do as you suggested and print the indices and other very helpful pages for my own notebook as a quick resource.

The cost is an issue and also the time frame. I would have to wait until May to get it from my mother if I ordered it and had it shipped to her home in the US (to save on shipping costs).

I do love having a printed resource, though.... but I am sure I could make the e-book work. I had thought of purchasing the first book as an e-book and seeing how it goes like you suggested, before investing the full amount. It might save me money in the long run if I decide I need the printed book.

More to think about....

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Monica, it's nice to hear how the e-book is working for you on a practical level. My reasons are pretty much the same, and the search feature sounds nice!

I imagine if I purchased the entire e-book now and decided I needed a printed book of it after all I could print it myself and get it bound somewhere.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We have it in ebook format and it works well for us that way. I just let dd copy her selection straight from my computer, so no need to print.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

We have the e-book format too. I printed the end indeces and bound book 1 & 2 so that I could quickly reference to a troubled word. This is working well for me.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version