Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: In a bit of a quandry Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 10 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

It's February, and it's the time I tend to re-evaluate things.

This year we went 95% CHC. I have loved most of it. I still struggle with science, and I don't think it would matter what curriculum we use. I have kept up on the religion, history and LA, no problem. I used math mammoth instead of the MCP(is that right?). Next year it would be Saxon 5/4

However, I'm rethinking things. I pulled out the CLE LA from last year, we hadn't completed it, as we had started it only in Jan 11. She was SO excited to see it. I let her do a reading lesson and an LA lesson. There are many things I really like about it. For example, in Reading - the dictionary spellings. I LOVE this. My older kids from the Catholic school can not read a dictionary spelling. They don't get that a dictionary can teach them the pronunciation. In LA,past units, they talked about the importance of good posture. When we do LA, she ALWAYS has good posture. Today was it was why do we have to do good work, why we should be neat. It explained that was how God did His work. He made everything, animals, birds and fish, the sun, moon and stars. He made water and land. He made people. After He was finished, He looked at His work and saw it was very good. We want to do good work because God does good work. He is pleased when we do our best. That is showed kindness to friends and teacher when we do our best.

Low and behold, her printing was neater than it's been all year, she sat well. She made an earnest effort. I don't get that in the CHC. I don't get her enthusiasm.

But I love the Catholic perspective. She has learned a lot in her spelling, Language of God, and the Heritage Handwriting. But she doesn't enjoy it near as much as the CLE light units.

I am not sure what to do with this. She thrives with CLE, literally. There are many life lessons in it. About obedience, positive attitude, work ethic. CHC offers the catholic POV in everything, which is great. Sr. is thrilled with her knowledge base as a 'non-catholic' preparing for sacraments. But we get much of that with the religion curricula from CHC, which she really enjoys too. And in science.

Is it feasible to use CLE for LA,and maybe the CHC handwriting(we use it for some memorization too) and use CHC for the rest?

Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I am running out the door right now, but I wanted to warn you about CLE Reading. I have heard that there are actual anti-Catholic things in that book. There was a thread about it on the Well Trained Mind forums. I will search for it when I get home. That said, if it is working for you, you can go for it. I would just be really careful and look ahead to make sure there is nothing offensive. I have heard lots of positive things about CLE and how independent and thorough it is.

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I am aware they have an issue in their social studies, my understanding though is it is being re-written to fix that. But it is a history that is noting the persecutions by other Christians including the Catholics, and I don't know that it specifically said Catholic. I haven't seen it.

There is on story in a reader that isn't a glowing review of the Catholic faith, I believe it was about the 'brave Anabapists' or something to that effect. I do read ahead. I don't really feel it is an anti-Catholic company at all.

I haven't encountered it yet. I don't know that it IS an issue. I don't think it is bad for the kids to be aware that not everyone understands Catholicism. That they may have to stand up for their faith. I know I was SHOCKED that not everyone was Catholic Our priest openly says, that the Church has things in it's past not to be proud of, however, it has more positives than negatives, if people would just open their eyes. We can't let past mistakes color the future permanently. You can't learn from past mistakes, if you don't know what those mistakes are.

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2012 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I know there was something offensive in the 3rd grade reading book, but I can't find the thread. I choose not to support companies that are anti-Catholic, but I do know several Catholics who use their materials.

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

The old Christian Light thread is here, but it doesn't give specifics about 3rd grade.

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We have used the CLE reading in its entirety and have found *nothing* objectionable in any way.

I do recall that level 3 contains a large section on idols - about making gods of the idols. But Catholicism is neither hinted at or expressed outright. There are a couple of images of "god-idols" but not one of them is Catholic in nature (no crucifix or image of Mary).

While I do not care for their history/social studies texts (honestly, I don't care for Catholic history texts either), the few things that have come up as being "anti" any particular group, they are happy to revise, while still stating the *facts*, to be simple fact without any particular bias.

We have also used portions of the math (here you will find mathematical tidbits about the number of books in the Bible - yes, this is incorrect, so I change those ones); language arts (a good solid program, and I'll use the research guide with my son; but we do Montessori language arts for elementary so don't need the curriculum); science (I love the younger levels - the older ones with the textbooks are too textbooky for us - again, we're Montessorians ;) ). And I've even used specific Bible lightunits (Jewish culture, Proverbs study and Psalms Study - nothing anti-Catholic in any of them).

ETA: They are anabaptist and non-resistant. They are not looking to pick fights, but live peacefully. They do not seek to offend, but they will also state the truth. That truth can be hard for some of us to take who are also sinners and have also made mistakes.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Regarding the original post:

Yes, it would be feasible to do the combination you suggest.

It would be great if we had a Catholic set-up of something just like CLE ;)

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Thank you CatholicMommy :)

That helps alot. I do wish there was more Catholic curricula more that CLE. My dd is very into the format. In an hour we cover ALOT of material, reading, grammar, penmanship and writing. Plus she retains it. The only thing that takes longer is when there is independent writing to be done, she bucks at that. But that is normal, my older kids do it at school.

Too bad we can't approach any one to investigate it and make a Catholic one.

We'll still get the CHC readers. We read them together. Great for reading aloud or bedtime :)

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I get a lot of PMs about this thread because of my response, so thought I'd share a FAQ here :)

I am NOT kidding when I say that those people who are offended by the idol-worshipping section in the level 3 reader must seriously consider their own faith lives. If I am considering that the statue of Mary on my prayer table IS TRULY Mary, then my own faith is misaligned; and that story will be speaking about ME - not about CATHOLICS, who do not practice idol-worship, but see the statue as a physical reminder of the spiritual presence of a spiritual truth. If the statue breaks or is knocked over, God is NOT going to punish us, and He is still going to be present. So if a story about generic idol-worshippers offends you, then reconsider YOUR faith life, because Catholics do not worship idols.

Next, their unrevised social studies texts are horrible. There is no getting around that. And it takes time to revise a $70 textbook.

Third, the history of the Catholic Church ain't squeaky clean. Those textbooks that purport otherwise (and purport other falsehoods) are the ones I avoid, Catholic or otherwise. It is NOT OK to teach our children that the Church has had perfect actions all through the centuries. The surest way to have them leave the faith when they are older or to remain unable to face the world is to not only hide the truth, but tell them flat-out lies.

So CLE history stinks in this regard, but so do most Catholic history textbooks.

Don't support the company if you don't want to, but just because something is labeled "Catholic" doesn't make it a good choice either - either stylistically or factually or otherwise.

Discern for yourself what your family's needs are. That is all you can do - and it is definitely what you should do :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version