Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: T-Tapp Update - And you? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 26 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I've had several IRL friends ask "What do you do to stay fit?" and/or "Are you still doing the exercise thing you told me about?" Here's my answers: Yes, I'm still doing T-Tapp and still highly recommend it! I'd love to hear your updates, too!

Since 2008, I've been doing Basic Workout Plus for 15 minutes each morning (3-6 times per week,) except Sunday. I have maintained my weight and many other improvements (like shoe size and vision holding steady)! After the holidays and lots of feasting, I'm eager to fine-tune my health routines, including exercise. I should really re-read this book, get back to more hoe-downs throughout the day and back stretch at night. (I also want to get back to 10,000 steps and better posture during regular activities.

This first time I wrote about T-Tapp was here Oct. 6, 2008 (edited for brevity):

Angie Mc wrote:
I've been doing T-Tapp for 2 months now and I'm still loving it (and hating it...you know...exercise is a love/hate thing with me.)

To get off to a good start, I did read her book first and in retrospect, I better understood what she was striving for...form, form, form (much like my experience with martial arts.) My dd and I did the instructional dvd for the 15 minute workout a few times then we moved on to the "Basic Plus" for a total of 14 days in a row (we did the "Total Workout" twice and now do it once a week.) We hadn't planned on 14 days (since this was more than what was recommended for our goals) but it honestly took 14 days to "get it." We also chart (she has a chart in the book) our progess which is very encouraging and keeps us objective and accountable. I think the book and Basic Plus gives the most bang for your buck.

Now here's my long answer that I shared with my family 5 weeks into it:

My first reaction to the webpage was caution. After reading several of the success stories, especially the one about the homeschooling mother of 12, I decided to purchase the book through Amazon since I already had a book order ready to be placed. After reading the book, I was curious and more sold on Theresa Tapp's philosophy. I decided that it would take forever for me to figure out how to do the program through the book alone, so I purchased some DVDs (no longer available at old link) and started a 4 day bootcamp with Devin. This turned into a 14 day bootcamp because I enjoyed it so much and saw results quickly. I've been doing the program for *5 weeks, now I'm down to 15 minutes on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday and 55 minutes on Sunday. I've toned, firmed, and lost inches (2 inches in my waist for example.)

More importantly for me than inch and weight loss, are the other benefits I've received. My posture is improving, my digestion is better, my blood sugar is more level, I have more energy, my mood is more stable, and I have even delayed getting my new prescription eye glasses because my eyesight has improved! Plus I feel good about doing "something" and confident that this is doable for the long haul - no jumping, no hurting, no bad music:).

Update: In six weeks I have lost six pounds. No, I didn't really care if I lost any weight at all. I've even been eating more food (better food) over these weeks.

A few more things I like about this program. You don't need equipment, you can do it in a 4'X4' space, and every week there has been something encouraging - either a weight loss, or an inch loss, or strength gained...love it!

Angie Mc wrote:

Natalie, I'm with you! Not only am I skeptical but I'm always looking for an excuse to *not* exercise. Really! I have never been good at *doing exercise* for the sake of exercise. I love when physical labor is integrated into my day and/or I'm training for excellence, like when I studied martial arts. Well, my truth now is, I can't go to my martial arts classes and I'm doing way more sitting now than when my children were younger

My best guess is that it works because it straightens out the lymphatic system so that your body functions better. Somewhere she likens the lymphatic system to a kinked water hose. Once the kinks are worked out, everything flows. No amount of running, or weight lifting, or athletics is going to do that if the kinks are still present.    

The "hoe-downs" are 1 of 2 stand alone exercises, the other is Primary Back Stretch. You can do the hoe-downs anytime you feel fatigued or after you have eaten poorly (too many carbs maybe?.) Theresa recommends doing the Primary Back Stretch when you get out of bed and before you go to bed at night. For her routine, though, she does recommend that the exercises be used in a specific order...hmmm...has something to do with tiring out stronger muscles to access weaker muscles.

A thought...have you ever gone for long walk or done an exercise video and thought, "This just isn't very efficient." For example, the more I walk, the more I need to walk for cardio health and strength gain. Well, this program is efficient. She lines you up in an odd position that engages muscles that I didn't know I had . And one of the very best parts is that if you do this to *your* max, you'll see improvement. I'm getting much better at my form (still have a ways to go) but I'm amazed at the result I got up front considering how poorly I was doing it .

Needless to say, I don't feel called to show excellence in athletics (although I respect those who do, like my dh and dss.) I'm just a wife and mom who wants to take care of the body God gave me in order to better fulfill my vocation. Doing this helps me to know that I'm "doing something" amd to feel physically disciplined without it turning into too much...which always results in me dropping out and feeling like a failure. No more! I CAN do 15 minutes, 3 times a week, plus 55 minutes once a week (which isn't necessary but I like it - yep - I like it!) and my back stretches in the morning and evening. That's doable for me.

Angie Mc wrote:
To be honest, no, I don't think the longer workout is fun , but I'm a tough one about combining *fun* and *formal exercise.* Having said that, I like it very much and find it very purposeful, efficient, and effective. I'm getting better at it - the balancing moves are something else to keep me humble - which encourages me.

Our family had a bad cold a few weeks ago. I decided to really hit it head on with rest, fluids, etc. Plus, I added the 1 hour TTapp a day. I was experimenting to see if this would help my body to "move" the cold, congestion, fluids, through my system more efficiently. Because there are many confounding variables, I can't know for sure if it helped but...after only 3 days I was pretty much back to being myself! I still had lingering symptoms that lasted for 7 days, but I didn't go the full 10 days that I would normally expect. Plus, I just didn't suffer as much. I will try it again when I get ill and see what happens!

Here's a funny thing. I've dropped a shoe size! No kidding, I'm back to my pre-babies shoe size of 7 1/2. Now, I don't really care about my shoe size, lol, but...my feet don't hurt like they used to! That, I like.

Oh, I didn't TTapp for a week somewhere along the way and I could feel it. But I didn't lose my gains in the way that I did when I would, say, stop doing push-ups or run for a week. I was able to jump back on again easily too. This thing is so forgiving.

Angie Mc wrote:
My ideal time to TTapp is about an hour after I eat lunch. The main advantage for me is that this is down time in our home and exercising at this time helps me to avoid afternoon fatigue. Sometimes I nap before TTapping too! I don't like to give up my quiet, focused time in the morning to exercise - yuck! And I don't like to exercise too late at night or it revs me up.

As for blood sugar levels, I've made quite a few changes about how I eat, drink, take vitamins, sleep and exercise that its hard to know which variables are helping me, but I consistently feel energized after TTapping and I haven't had as many blood sugar drop problems as I have in the past.

I have been doing T-Tapp in the early morning for over a year. It's not my ideal time, but is it the only time I can count on and be consistent! Plus, I like having it done and not weighing on my mind.

T-Tapp has been a great fit for me. I count on it, and know that even if I go for a week or 2 without doing it, I still maintain many gains and its easy for me to get back on track.

Here is a 4Real T-Tapp search for great discussions, tips, and encouragement.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 26 2012 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Angie...I just finished my T-Tapp for the day!    I'm 31 weeks now and tried to keep up with T-Tapp all the while, but nausea in the 1st tri held me back, then fatigue in the 2nd tri kept me down. I've been able to do T-Tapp for two weeks now with no fatigue and feeling great!    I'm doing 3 days on with 1 day off. I'm hopeful to keep up until I'm ready to go, like my last pregnancy. It helped tremendously with labor and post-partum. Praying!

I'm glad you're still doing and enjoying T-Tapp!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version