Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Ergo Baby Carriers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

In an unscientific poll, Danielle Bean discovered that the Ergo Baby Carrier came in second to the Maya Wrap. I was a real sling fan for the first 11 years of my parenting experience. Then, I really threw my back out bigtime. The chiropractor said that the way that slinging causes us to be off-balance was to blame. I believe him and, apparently, so do the Ergo folks. With my fifth baby, I used a Baby Bjorn. And I really did love it. I like the snuggle-in-front feeling. But the lifespan is much shorter because--well, partly because I'm much shorter. It doesn't take long before the baby is too tall for me to hold in front. But I need to hold them for a much longer time than the Bjorn. And, when I was a sling fan and sling-seller, I had a Parenting concepts sling and they come in petite sizes. That was key or the baby would be bouncing against my hips.

That's my ridiculously long intro to this question: does the Ergo work for petite moms? Does it work over the long haul? Is anybody out there a big Ergo fan??

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2006 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Not an answer to your question but I was recently at a Welcome Home Party for our nephew who is a Marine and home from Iraq.

One of his cousins (on other side of the family) was there with her 18 month old daughter. She had the little girl in a frontal sling. I heard my dh's elderly aunts all click their tongues on their false teeth and say:

"Deary me, can you believe that!? These young mothers and all their new fangled ideas."

"That child must weigh a ton. Why...she's old enough to walk. That momma needs to make her walk."

"She's going to hurt her back carrying that child like that."

Elderly Cajuns can be tough nuts to crack. I didn't even try. All I could do was sit there helplessly and think of all the family gatherings I've attended in the past with my babies in a sling; and wonder if they were clicking their opinions in hopes that I would hear them clearly this time.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Elizabeth,

I'm a big Ergo fan! It's not great to move babies in and out all the time. However, I have two and they work well for my kids, 18m and 3 yrs. I've used it when we are out walking for a long time and the kids don't want to walk anymore. It fits like a backpack and snug against my skin. I am tall though, 5'8" so take my testimony with a grain of salt. My sister who is 5'4" finds it comfortable when she comes to visit. If I had another, I would invest in a maya for a newborn and around the house.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 22 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Genevieve,
Do you mean that if the baby falls asleep, you couldn't move her out of the Ergo easily?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2006 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I have never seen the Ergo before. Looking at their website, I wonder if it is easy to nurse in? The one nursing picture they show is of an older baby sitting upright nursing.

I have a Maya Wrap, but this will be the first time I have used it with a newborn and I am not sure how well it will work. I have always had a padded sling for my newborns.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 5:13am | IP Logged Quote amyable

I've never tried the ergo, but I love the mei tai I made for many of the same reasons. It's a front pack, a back pack, can be adjusted for many sizes of baby, etc. There is the learning curve of putting it on though - it's not just "snap and go" like the ergo.

Pretty cheap and easy to make (If *I* can sew it, anyone can ), you can make a small one for a newborn, and a larger one for a toddler.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Elizabeth,

No problem with laying him down. What I meant is that if the toddler gets squirmy and can't decide whether he wants to be in or out, it's a hassle to buckle him in and a few minutes later take him out. It's designed like a heavy duty hiking back-pack with hip support. So instead of just placing a ring of cloth around you, you need to buckle the hip, place him in the right position, then put on the shoulder straps. It takes a while to get used to put a baby in the back position without anyone helping. I didn't like wearing the baby on the side; It was rather uncomfortable. The baby is also always facing inward if that matters to you or the child. However, I must admit once the baby is on, it's great. No pressure points and I don't notice the difference in comfort level between baby and 3 yr old, other than slight weight difference. It's a blessing when you have to go shopping or hiking! I would recommend getting a poncho since your baby is coming during the cooler months. It gets bulky with coat, then baby, then Ergo.

My advice is to use your Bjorn, then when the baby outgrows it, switch to Ergo. I think Ergo really was primarily designed for toddlers anyway. The infant and side wearing flexibility only came out a year ago.

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

I finally switched to an ergo recently. Dd is 18 mos. I was worried it would be a ridiculous expense and that it would not pay off. Instead its been a godsend.

I use it in the grocery bc she climbs out of the cart. I use it in the library bc she runs and hides and the stacks are too tall to see her. I use it around the house when she needs to be held and I want to do something else besides sit around. I used it at a friend's easter weekend when she was fussy and when she was mischievious and hard to keep track of.

I had a horrid pain in my hip from toting dd around and even the sling didnt alleviate it.

I am 5'3 and a size 8-10. This carrier works well for me. I wish the waistband on mine could be tightened slightly more.

The funniest thing is the ergo can carry up to 95 lbs, so when it arrived we put the big kids in it just for a laugh. It was hysterical to walk around with my almost 9 yo on my back. He practically burst a blood vessel laughing.

I can get my dd in and out easily now that I have practiced. It was tricky to get her off my back while she was asleep but not impossible. She hated the sleep hood and woke every time we put it near her head.
Back to Top View abcmommy's Profile Search for other posts by abcmommy

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

oh and I think its relatively easy to nurse in and would be even easier for a smaller child. My 30 in tall dd just needs the straps relaxed and I have to hold (hoist? ) up my breast to her mouth a bit. If she were shorter I'd not have to do as much adjusting bc her head would be lower, kwim?

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Well, I also have the Parenting Concepts padded ring sling and when I purchased mine, I foolishly bought a "regular" rather than a petite so dh could sling, you know like Dr. Sears in the snuggle hold, well I've been messing with all that extra fabric for 4 1/2 years now and he's NEVER worn a baby, ever Serves me right I spose, anyhoo, have also always had a Bjorn and they are awesome for the grocery store as my littles never do well in a shopping cart seat until they are around 18 months, so I regularly front pack and seat the 4yo in the cart for containment factor

The mei tai looks interesting however, I think I'm still sold on the Maya, which I'm off to look at again. Thanks for starting this thread again!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 23 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here's my thought process so far (I still have over half a pregnancy to make decision):

There are two different Mom-comfort things I'm considering. The first was discussed when we discussed what babies do to our bodies. I have found that backpacking really stresses that particular issue. The other issue is the hip/back alignment one. I think the sling stresses that. In the beginning, I think I'll use a combination of my ancient Parenting Concepts sling (mine's a petite Meredith--totally necessary) and the Bjorn. They do serve different purposes. The sling is great in church or at the keyboard or most any more sedentary pursuit. The Bjorn is good for soccer games and grocery stores and vacuuming!. If I alternate, maybe no one area will be stressed. But...as the baby gets bigger, I'm not sure what to do. The Ergo would shift the baby to the back, the sling to the hips, and my babies rapidly outgrow the Bjorn. Another totally tangential point is that backpacks with straps that go across the upper chest do not flatter me at all . Take my already ample chest, fill it with milk, and then accent it with that strap and it's pretty darn close to indecent. The sling is certainly more discreet. So...which object will shift the baby's weight from one area to another pretty readily in order not to strain any one particular muscled and/or joint?

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Elizabeth,

Ergo straps don't go across your front. They go parallel to your arms, like you wear a backpack. If you don't like wearing normal backpacks when you are nursing, then Ergo isn't for you. Happy thinking for a few more months.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 23 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Genevieve,
On the home page, if you watch the pictures that change down on the left-hand side, there is an older couple. The woman is wearing it as a backpack. I guess that's where I got the chest strap idea. But you're saying that that strap isn't there, when it's a front pack? On the hip?

If that were the case, then it would be a perfect ('though expensive, especially with the necessary infant insert) way to get both a hip and a front riding "sling."

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I forgot about that horizontal strap. I was thinking of another carrier that actually have the shoulder strap criss-cross in front. Now that,dear Elizabeth, is embarressing. As for the front horizontal strap, it's high up so it might not prove to be a problem. Do you know of anyone who has a heavy-duty trekking backpacks? Ergo wears like that. I don't have problems with the front strap because you don't need it to be tight and binding. You use it to prevent your shoulder straps from falling off your shoulders along with your baby.

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

That strap is not flattering to a large chest. The sling is a far more attractive carrier in general than the ergo. Since I am admittedly a bit vain it bothers me to some extent to look weird and sorta... hikerish... and not in a good way.

but when you want to look decent you can put the ergo on the front.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:
   So...which object will shift the baby's weight from one area to another pretty readily in order not to strain any one particular muscled and/or joint?

OK, I am a bit biased towards slings but here is why. My babies have all been between 9-10 lbs at birth so I am not lugging around little teeny peanuts. I wear my sling with the rings on the left more often than not. By the time my back or shoulder gets tired, they have usually fallen asleep and I lay them down, sling and all.   If, for some reason, I get tired and achy before then, I just put the rings on the other side and switch the weight to the other shoulder. If the sling is not twisted anywhere and the cloth is spread around your back as wide as it can go, you should not feel much strain wearing a sling UNLESS it is not tight enough.

I think most moms wear them too loose and that makes them uncomfortable. Most babies prefer to be wrapped up snug anyhow. If it is too tight, they will let you know. I also have been known to wear babies on my back in the sling when they are big enough to sit up by themselves. This moves the weight to the back. I have a backpack with a metal frame that my husband wears (he does not like the sling) but I can only wear it for a very short time without feeling like my shoulders are killing me. For me, the sling is so versatile I can't imagine going back to all the straps and buckles and rigamarole.

Also, there is a lot of talk about carriers that separate the baby's legs as being dangerous for their spinal column which is not yet fully developed/functioning. Until the child is walking, they should not have to be in any upright position where their pelvis and spinal column is bearing weight. The body tells them when they are strong enough to do this as it is the time they become erect instead of crawling. I did see that the Ergo has that special newborn cozy thing that makes the carrier more like a sling which looks nice but for me, I'd rather just buy the sling instead of another carrier with a sling insert. It does looks like older babies are sitting in the Ergo rather than hanging there (like many of the strappy carriers) because of the way they have the little pouchy space for baby's bottom. Nonetheless, I'd go with the sling for ease of use and versatility.

Just my $.02...

God Bless,

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:03am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Your $.02 could save me considerably more, Rebecca, since the Ergo is rather pricey. I'll never be able to back pack, I know it. And abc is right, those straps don't flatter at all. I have the same issues with backpacking as Rebecca does. When I hiked with MacBeth when our children little and we had no big boys for the job, she always carried my enormous babies. I already have slings (though they do show considerable wear and one can tell looking at the prints that I was pretty excited to have a girl after three boys ). Maybe if I make a concerted effort to switch sides frequently...
I don't think I was wearing it too loosely. It is a petite and I'm big into snugness.

Alcat
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 24 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Alcat

I really love my Ergo! I also have an over the shoulder Baby Holder sling, which is very nice also. I like the sling when my babies are new-3mos (about that hold your head up time...
The Ergo is great because it acts like a backpack or a Bjorn but no strain on the shoulders. It works far better than a backpack for heavy kids because the childs weight is distributed properly- the child isn't suspended out in mid-air causing you to lean forward to balance yourself. You also don't have as many accidents whacking the child into a door frame because the child is much more conformed to your body.
I don't like the Ergos sleephood, my baby's head was always popping out I have never tried to nurse in it- I have trouble nursing in a sling
I think with this next baby I will try a Moby (insted of a sling) that Mrs. Bean was asking about.... Anyone ever used a Moby?
God Bless,
Alison

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Coming in a bit late, here. But, I bought a Maya Wrap for my last baby, and I HATED it...I've always worn Over the Shoulder Baby Holders and I really like them--esp. the cushioned padding on the shoulder and edges...the Maya didn't have those and I couldn't get my newborn in there tight enough in the cradle hold and when I did manage to get her in tightly in the snuggle/chest hold, she almost slipped out twice because there was no padding under her bottom...I have several friends who do like the Maya but say that they do not like it for the newborn stage...

I sling for about the first year constantly and then sling when I am out at the grocery store and other outings until they are too heavy for me (around 18 mos.).

I have switched shoulders as Rebecca recommended and it works like a charm!   

Happy slinging everyone!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

I hated maya too, after OTSBH. it was so so uncomfortable, even tho it wasnt as bulky.

My baby's leg turned blue once bc the lack of padding on the edge of the maya cut off his circulation.

Actually, I am not certain his leg was really blue. I was at the grocery store juggling a sleeping 1 yo in the sling, a 4 yo yammering, and bagging my own groceries. When I struggled to pick up a watermelon the lady behind me decided that was a good time to point out that I was endangering my kids health (what with his leg being about to fall off.) Too bad her helpfulness was limited to commentary- I'd have kissed her if she'd just have picked up the darn melon for me instead of commenting on the baby!

Anyway, I loved my sling but at 1 yo I was done with the back strain and the hip pain. The hippie dippy look isnt what i normally go for at all, but man, I love that ergo!!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version