Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Arms of Love Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 29 2011 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Hi Moms!

I just finished reading this book at 5am this morning! It was the most excellent book I've ever read. The title is "Arms of Love" by Carmen Marcoux.   Although I am 41 years old, I wish I had read it when I was in my early teens. However I still got much out of it, being a Mom.   

Here is what the book is about:

Arms of Love

Joanie, a strong Catholic woman, setting out in a new career as a journalist, must face one of the greatest challenges of her young life . . . romance. Committed to the values of Christian courtship, Joanie finds herself attracted to the handsome young commercial producer, Brandon - a man living a very worldly lifestyle. Brandon makes every effort to draw the attractive young reporter into his charms and into his world. Meanwhile, Joanie is battling to resist his advances, as she earnestly seeks to bring Jesus into Brandon’s life. A compelling novel that you will not want to put down - this book faithfully presents the Church's teachings on marriage and the sacraments. Discover how courtship, when put into practice, has the power to transform our society, one heart at a time.

Here is the the Canadian author's website

Very worthwhile to look into!

(Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment)

Good news is Sacred Heart Books and Gifts sells both ARMS OF LOVE and it's sequel SURRENDER!

I've had only good experiences with this company, and I highly recommend them

You know when you discover something extraordinary, you just have to tell everyone?

THIS IS IT!

I promise you will be you looked into it!!!!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 30 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

This seems to be one of those books that you either love or hate. I decided to buy it because I have five daughters and thought it might be a useful book to have on hand. I'm not a romantic and while it was an interesting tale, I found it far to idealistic to take seriously. One of my daughters who is a romantic at heart really enjoyed the first book. She's in a religious order now but I know she would have hoped for that perfect love if she hadn't joined. A friend loved both books and is hoping for more. Another daughter hated the book, felt that it was like a Catholic harlequin (her words) and totally unrealistic. She's asked me not to let her younger sisters read it because she thinks it will set unrealistic expectations in their relationships.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2011 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Nique, your enthusiasm is contagious!

Here's a link to a 4Real search on Arms of Love.

Like amarytbc noted, it does seem to draw strong feelings, one way or another which IS interesting.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 31 2011 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Nique

My dd received the book for St Nicholas this year and loved it, I've still to read it, I really must.

If you are after other similar books, have you seen Ellen Gable's books? I haven't but am intrigued.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

I absolutely loved this book!

For me, it did make me a bit sad since my dh and I did NOT follow a courtship model when dating/engaged. And on our wedding night, we both looked at each other and apologized that we had not saved that first kiss for our wedding. We have since had several friends who have done this--and it is completely inspiring--and realistic to do so.

I was most interested in how the family actually "ran"...and how courtship plays out, practically speaking, in a family. For my dh and I, we feel very strongly that this is how we are going to lead our children as they get older.

Conversely, while the story is a good story...it is not "well-written"...Some may go so far as to even say "trite". The sentence structure and diction are not complex, nor beautiful. Does that make sense? The story is very nice and inspiring...but the writing is not beautiful, which does not lend a complexity or depth to the story that could make it even more profound.

Think...Michael O'Brien...or Sheldon Vanauken (A Severe Mercy)...that is my measure for very. beautiful. writing.

Other than that, it is something I plan to have my children read.

I think the characterization of it being a "Catholic Harlequin" novel is harsh. While it may come across as trite, I think the high ideals presented (as idealistic and starry-eyed as they may seem) are a good challenge for our children. Just my .02.   

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 01 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Finally read Arms of Love and was thoroughly hooked!! Really, really loved it, I think I'm boring my family by my raves.

Yes, if I was to analyse deeper into how it plays out in 'real life' I'd have a few areas that needed pondering, however it was totally inspiring. Planning on ordering the second book now.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Oh Erin, I'm so pleased   

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Oh, and Erin thank you so much for your recommendation of Ellen Gable's books!

Thoroughly enjoyed "In Name Only".

Catholic author, with a catholic storyline.

misswallo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 04 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote misswallo

I loved it! My daughter has read both books and also wishes there were more.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

My oldest daughter LOVED both.

My second daughter thought they were both a little cheesey and said there was no action. I pressed a bit just now to tell me what was not to like and she said it was a good story. :)

I am LOVING Arms of Love. It is rare for me not to cry while reading it wishing I (and my parents) had done things differently, but also anticipating great things for my own children in this area. I would like my husband to read it, because like Maggie said above, I love seeing how this works in a family.

I think it is well-written, but I am not all that well-read so I may not be the best judge.

It is idealistic and things seem to happen maybe too easily, but I think it's beautiful and inspiring and an ideal worth pursuing.

Highly recommended!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Reminding me I must really order the 2nd book.

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version