Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Looking for an uplifting book Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 29 2011 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

I'm looking for an encouraging book to read. I need a lift....it seemed I used to be able to be strong all the time and able to approach every obstacle with confidence....now, not so much, at all, ever.

I need some daily encouragement, but, of course, I can only read in little bits of time here and there, so it can't be "hard" to get through, or I tend to spend my time reading the same passages over and over and then getting frustrated and putting the book aside.

Any suggestions out there??

I know I'm not very clear, but I don't really know what I am looking for? Maybe we can think of something together?
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

I'm not sure why this came to me, and its probably not what you are looking for, but Holiness for Housewives by Dom Hubert von Zeller. Short read, and encouraging that we can all pray. You've probably read it. But I'm putting it out there anyway. And what about Introduction to the Devout life by Francis de Sales?

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Joann,

Are you looking for a devotional or novel?

I really enjoy Divine Intimacy as a daily devotional and have found both the books I Believe in Love and God Alone Suffices to be particularly uplifting and helpful to me in difficult times.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

MicheleQ wrote:
Joann,

Are you looking for a devotional or novel?

I'm not sure... probably both. I have a few daily devotional books they often leave me wanting a little more...if you know what I mean. But it can't be too deep because that makes me crazy when I don't have alot of quiet, deep thinking, reading time.

This is why I am having trouble finding a good fit right now.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Non-fiction, I'd recommend Catherine Doherty's books -at least I find them encouraging and easy to read.   _Seasons of Grace_ with brief daily reflections may best suit.

However the books I personally find best when I'm feeling hapless and hopeless are my collection of Elizabeth Goudge novels.   Her personal experiences in living a difficult life well (see her autobiography) greatly enriched her writing with many insights on living with difficulties through the grace of God.0
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2011 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

Lisa Hendey just came out with a new book. You've probably heard of it. Prayers for you.

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version