Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Ringing in the new year w/ new calendar Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: Where do you get your wall calendar for the new year?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [42.86%]
3 [8.57%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [37.14%]
2 [5.71%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We just got our new calendars at Church last weekend. Each year our diocese prints a nice calendar that is distributed at all the parishes. I love it. It has pictures from around the diocese for each month. It also has the feast days and liturgical colors, plus they add local and international church events which is helpful. Has the secular/national days and moon phases.

The back page has Liturgial Year information to help those not familiar with the various seasons, etc. as well as indicating days of abstinence. There is also a section in the back with phone numbers for the diocese office and the flip out tab is individually printed for each parish and has those contact numbers, which I find really helpful.

So as you can tell I get pretty excited about our free calendar each year. We try to pick up a couple more if they are still available after then new year when everyone has had several weeks to pick up one.

We inevitably get other free gift ones as well - from a local realtor, my university, etc. My mom usually sends extras she gets free with orders from places like Catholic Answers. Even if you have to order it, theirs is only $5 anyway and is nice.

So, where do you get your calendars for the new year?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

For the last two years I've enjoyed printing Alice Cantrell's free calendars. I leave the page as it prints with three months showing. I print on nice heavy white cardstock and then place on the wall near my computer desk with a nice Martha Stewart print tape to border.

I was so happy she decided to make one for 2012

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Grace&Chaos wrote:
For the last two years I've enjoyed printing Alice Cantrell's free calendars. I leave the page as it prints with three months showing. I print on nice heavy white cardstock and then place on the wall near my computer desk with a nice Martha Stewart print tape to border.

I was so happy she decided to make one for 2012

Oh my, those are lovely!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We get a variety of calendars. Dh ordered Nelson Bouguereau Wall Calendar for me last year. It has big squares, but not all the feast days marked in what priority (solemnity, feast, etc.). Since it has the same images this year, we won't be rebuying it.

We love the one from the parish, and usually use that every year. Sometimes we get them from neighboring parishes if I like the pictures better. I'm not good at marking down or journaling, but I saved my calendars from my children's first years, because they really marked their lives well.

The Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception has a nice calendar we get for free every year. Last year we bought Saints in the Calendar by Rosa Giorgi, which had a free Advent Calendar. We didn't spend this much, but this is just a link to show.

We have lots of wall calendars. We also make one with the family photos and dates, and have some wildlife ones for the kids in their rooms, and my MIL gave a beautiful bird one last year, too.

We like calendars, and have them everywhere, just don't like to pay much for them, since they are plentiful.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just lost my post! Ugh! Will be back to share!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Our parish gives out calenders from catholicextension.org they come with different themes each year for the pictures and there's a tab on the bottom with our parish info (times and phone numbers)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Grace&Chaos wrote:
For the last two years I've enjoyed printing Alice Cantrell's free calendars.

I was going to post that, too! I really, really enjoy printing her very pretty calendars out and keeping them handy on my desk.

We purchase the Saints Galore calendar as our main calendar because it has all the Feasts of the Old Calendar as well as those on the New Calendar and we follow both!

For so many years now, I have enjoyed and made use of the Family Centered Press large planner.

The planner stays on my desk and the Saints Galore calendar on the fridge in the kitchen.

And we always have one more calendar here - The Learning Calendar from Fat Brain toys.

So that's 3 calendars we purchase each year!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I buy the FlyLady calendar every year. I buy it strictly because it's so functional. Each square is approximately 2" x 3", so it allows plenty of space for a busy or big family to write upcoming events.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:

You didn't lose it! You just posted it on the best of comic book lit thread. I moved it over here for you!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Wow, I have never heard of parishes giving out calendars! I receive ours from the local fruit and veg shop or the stock and station agents.

A couple of years I bought one with the Feast days but they never have enough of the days listed to suit me.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
JennGM wrote:

You didn't lose it! You just posted it on the best of comic book lit thread. I moved it over here for you!

Thanks for fixing my mistake. I was running out the door, couldn't find it, and realized that's where I posted it!

The calendars are sold out for 2012, but when I need a desk or hanging calendar with lots of room to write and all the feast days Liturgy Training Publications is the best.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Erin wrote:
Wow, I have never heard of parishes giving out calendars! I receive ours from the local fruit and veg shop or the stock and station agents.

The ones around here are usually sponsored by a local business. They include all the feast days (in the Ordinary Form), colors as well as the secular/national days and moon phases. I just looked at ours and it says it was made by the J. S. Paluch Co.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MicheleQ wrote:
The ones around here are usually sponsored by a local business. They include all the feast days (in the Ordinary Form), colors as well as the secular/national days and moon phases. I just looked at ours and it says it was made by the J. S. Paluch Co.

Ours are J.S. Paluch, also.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

JennGM wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:

Ours are J.S. Paluch, also.

Clicking around their site I found this beautiful Treasures of the Vatican Library calendar. Also available on Amazon!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Our local parishes give out free calendars too. They include famous religious art as well as feast days, liturgical colors and days of abstinence. They haven't given out the new calendars yet! Or maybe I missed them somehow...

We also get sent free calendars from the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and Family Fun magazine.

The calendar I use *most* though is bi-weekly printouts of my Google calendar (complete with feast day listings). I used to keep a copy with me and one on the fridge. That was too hard to keep up with so now I just keep a copy with me.

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Our parish sells Calendars for two dollars(Canadian) which we use as our main appt. Calendar. We also buy the LTP wall poster calendar and our city sends out a free calendar with pictures of Heritage buildings and the dates of local events from various museums and activity centers.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Livin'4Him
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Livin'4Him

I have wanted/needed to get a new calendar for the new year. (Just running a LITTLE behind ) I have enjoyed going through the links and have picked out 2 for my family! Thanks for sharing!!

Mama to Gracie (00), Gabriel (01) and Daniel (02)
Back to Top View Livin'4Him's Profile Search for other posts by Livin'4Him

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MicheleQ wrote:
Clicking around their site I found this beautiful Treasures of the Vatican Library calendar. Also available on Amazon!

This calendar arrived today and I have to say it is very nice! Larger than I expected at 13 3/4" x 20 3/4" when open. It has 2" x 1 3/4" squares for each day. All the feast days for the Ordinary Form calendar are marked and the colors specified. The illuminated manuscripts are beautiful (I'm partial to that type of art anyway) and I love that each month also has a photo of the Holy Father.

Of course I love my daily planner for my personal appt. but this will do nicely for the family calendar.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Reading above I want to add (since Jenn may ask ) that it does specify Sundays and feast days in bold, SOLEMNITIES in all caps and bold and optional memorials in italics.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MicheleQ wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:

This calendar arrived today and I have to say it is very nice! Larger than I expected at 13 3/4" x 20 3/4" when open. It has 2" x 1 3/4" squares for each day. All the feast days for the Ordinary Form calendar are marked and the colors specified. The illuminated manuscripts are beautiful (I'm partial to that type of art anyway) and I love that each month also has a photo of the Holy Father.

Of course I love my daily planner for my personal appt. but this will do nicely for the family calendar.

Thanks for the review, Michele! I love illuminated manuscripts, too, and dh loves all the Vatican treasures. I think I'll get one for him!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version