Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Advent Read Aloud for Teens? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 29 2011 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

We have baskets full of picture books to read during Advent and Christmas. We love them all but now that the kiddos are older I am looking for some novels to read aloud.

We have The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, A Christmas Carol and Miracle on 34th Street.

I just ordered Destination Bethlehem for the Kindle. I have also been looking at Letters From Father Christmas, is that something that can be spread out over a week as a read aloud for teens?

So those of you with older kiddos....what do you read?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2011 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was rereading Miracle on 34th Street myself. Love that movie, book is even better.

Letters from Father Christmas thrills my sons. They are looking at it from a different angle, as they still belive, and this is proof of his existence. I think it can be broken down year by year...there are letters when his children were young. I can't remember the time frame.

Have you tried any of Ruth Sawyer's Christmas collections? I've been checking those out and find them sooo delightful. She has about three that I know of, one is online.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2011 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary Chris wrote:
So those of you with older kiddos....what do you read?

Mary Chris
I have to admit to not having alot for my teen boys, and I haven't found anything nothing new to interest them for some time.

I have managed to find a few, more for the tween set which can be enjoyed by teens.
Jotham's Journey - Arnold Ytreeide
Bartholomew's Passage - as above
Tabitha's Travels - as above
The Christmas Mystery - Jostein Gaarder
The Donkey Who Always Complained - Thornton Frances Beauchesne (OOP)

Younger set again;
Starlight in Tourrone - Suzanne Butler (OOP)
Miracle in the Wilderness - Paul Gallico (OOP) Long pic bk.
The Story of Holly and Ivy - Rummer Godden

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Chari's Christmas through Literature has lots of ideas.. they read as a group with adults, teens and younger children.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 03 2011 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have a few recommendations, Mary Chris. These are mostly compilation books, and many/all (??) may be oop.

Christmas Stories from Many Lands by Herbert Wernecke (1961) - this is a compilation of 35 stories from 35 different countries of the world, all by different authors. There are some beautiful stories gathered here, two of which are by a favorite author of mine, Ruth Sawyer. This book would make a fine read aloud for any age, but lends itself particularly well for an older child (tween/teen) as independent Advent reading. (Please note that Mr. Wernecke is not Catholic, and therefore does not write from a Catholic perspective, however his book, Christmas Stories From Many Lands is a compilation from several different authors, all of whom share rich and varied Christmas stories from various countries. Some of these authors are Catholic, like St. Francis of Assisi.)
    Worth checking out by the same author, Herbert Wernecke:

** Christmas Customs Around the World (I don't have this book so I can't review it, but it does look interesting.)

** Christmas Songs and Their Stories (I ordered this book for my teen for this year's reading, but don't have it yet. I'll review it after I get it if anyone is interested.)
Joy To The World: Christmas Legends (1966) by Ruth Sawyer - As mentioned above, Ruth Sawyer is a favorite author of mine. She weaves an amazing story! In Joy To The World, Ms. Sawyer takes 6 stories and retells them. They're all quite delightful!
    The Two Lambs: A Legend from Ancient Arabia
    This is the Christmas: A Legend from Serbia
    The Precious Herbs of Christmas: An Irish Fairytale
    What the Three Kings Brought: A Personal Christmas Story
    San Frolian of the Wilderness: An Old Spanish Legend
    The Miracle of Saint Cumgall: A Legend of a Lost Saint

The God in the Cave by G.K. Chesterton. This is just a short essay from Chesterton's book, The Everlasting Man, but Chesterton is a favorite here, and this essay is certainly a part of any teen's reading basket. Be sure to click through to part 2 of the essay.

The Gifts of the Christ Child and Other Stories by George MacDonald. FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't have this book, and I haven't previewed it yet. I've been intrigued by this book because of Lewis' admiration for MacDonald and ordered it for my dd to read this year. Also recommended, but out of print is, The Christmas Stories of George MacDonald by George MacDonald (some of these stories have been reprinted in The Gifts of the Christ Child and Other Stories.

The Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyke - for reading after Christmas around Epiphany.

Christmas in Prose and Verse edited and compiled by Alison Putala. Though most of this book works well as a read aloud, overall, I think it makes a nice collection/compilation for a teen/older reader.

For slightly younger readers....say between 8 (or reading well independently) and tweens, A Newberry Christmas edited and compiled by Charles Waugh.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

These are short novels but could be used for a shorter read aloud.

The Noble Doll
The Bird's Christmas Carol
The Trees Kneel at Christmas

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
These are short novels but could be used for a shorter read aloud.

The Bird's Christmas Carol

The Trees Kneel at Christmas

Oh, these are both REALLY good ones!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Thanks for all the suggestions!

We started reading Letters from Father Christmas last night. I was able to download The Bird's Christmas Carol to the Kindle. I love The Tress Kneel at Christmas, I've checked it out of the library before, maybe that's one for my Christmas list.

I think we'll also try to read Miracle on 34th Street and I'd better hurry and get The Best Christmas Pageant ever started. So much reading......so little time!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version