Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Winston Grammar HELP! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I recently bought the complete set of Winston Grammar and have started my children on it with much enjoyment and satisfaction. I have taught up to the first quizz from the Basic Level Grammar. In the first page of Quiz 1 in question 1 there is this sentence for analysis: "An honest person deserves respect from us."   We missed underlining 'respect' as a noun because when we applied the 'two' and 'the' test to it we didn't think it worked..can someone advise me with this in any way?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Respect is an idea and ideas are nouns.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

And the noun clue card does have the picture clues that show:

person
place
thing
idea

And if you go to Lesson 1 in the Winston Grammar book (the lesson on articles and nouns) you'll see that it says that *the* and *two* work for detecting most, but not all nouns.

Winston Grammar, Anne!!!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Well I thought that would be the case, but if I'm following the rules of this program, why didn't it mention that ideas don't fit the 'two and 'the' test? Just not sure why they didn't cover this before the quiz...

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Sorry cross-posting Jen, thanks for that..ack, I'm re-reading Lesson 1 and I can't find where it says 'not for all nouns'...

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Oops..found it little print down the bottom of page 1..how

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I hate exceptions..Jen, does this mean that it's nouns that are ideas are likely not to fit this clue test?

I'm really, REALLY loving this too Jen, we've only just started but it's an answer to a prayer for me.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

It's on page 1.

Quote:
The clue side of the Noun Card shows you two things:
1. It shows four picture clues that tell you that nouns name persons, places, things, or ideas.

2. The bottom of the clue side of the Noun Card shows you two words.* The word two tells you that it makes sense to make a noun plural.

Example: person                       two persons

I'm working from the 2006 edition, Anne.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh dear. We were cross posting! Glad you found it!!!

Quote:
I hate exceptions..Jen, does this mean that it's nouns that are ideas are likely not to fit this clue test?

That's right. Ideas like liberty, respect, love, admiration do not fit the clue words while person, place, things do.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Jen! Have you used the whole program?   When you get time, do you mind sharing why you love it so? I'm very taken with this and would love to hear what other people's experiences with Winston.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I use the entire series of Winston Grammar. In fact, it is almost the only formal grammar we do. You can read more details on a grammar post I wrote.

** Basic in late elementary.
** Word Works in Jr. High
** Advanced in High school

What I love about Winston Grammar and why we keep coming back:

** It lends itself to short lessons.
** I only use the Teacher's Manual. I don't have the kids use the workbook. We simply work with the cards and do most of our lessons orally with example sentences or using the sentences which are in the answer key in the back of the Teacher's Manual.
** I can use the Winston Grammar cards with dictation lesson sentences.
** The parts of speech explanations are clear and simple.
** The cards are simply inspired!!!!! They allow this program to become a hands-on program, which is GREAT for any kinesthetic learners!
** Using the cards (and I HIGHLY recommend laminating them for durability!!!) and the Teacher's Manual, this program can be non-consumable. You can have a child write a few sentences on paper, or on the board, or not at all.

We often use the program in this way:

Day 1
** Teach the lesson.
** Use the cards to map out a few example sentences.
** Discuss and check.
** Done.

Day 2
** Review the lesson
** Go to the answer key in the back of the TM, and to the appropriate worksheet that coordinates with the lesson just taught.
** Read 2 - 3 sentences and have child map out the sentence on the table using the cards. When it comes to prepositional phrases, and showing how words are modifying other words, handle that in this way:
     ** First, child reads the parts of speech in order. Example: The dog sat = article, noun, verb.
     ** If those are correct, I mention that there were two adjectives in the sentence. I read sentence aloud again.
     ** I ask the child what those adjectives modify. Child answers orally.
     ** I mention that we have a preposition in the sentence. I ask the child to identify the prep phrase (re-read sentence if needed).
...and so on.

The oral and hands-on only approach works for us because we keep the lessons short, simple and I can scaffold the answers and analysis for the child starting with identifying parts of speech and working to adj/adv and their modifiers and so on.

The other programs address word usage (Word Works) and the Advanced program picks up where Basic leaves off and covers gerunds, infinitives, possessives, participles, etc.

It is simple, efficient, straightforward and not cartoony or character driven in any way which means you can remediate your 8th grader and teach your 4th grader with the same program very effectively! The program works well for me because it does fit that short lesson model, and I particularly like taking a couple of years off in between the three programs as information and lessons really gel and firm up through dictation lessons in those years.

So, that's my review of Winston Grammar!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I should also mention that I really appreciate the format of the Teacher's Manual for conveying information. It makes sense and is intuitive for me. Each lesson contains a visible and standout box of IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS. This is the stuff I need to make sure I hit in a lesson. It isn't overly wordy or confusing or lengthy which makes the bullet points easy to follow and easy to convey. There is sometimes additional information, but not much. And you do have to read the little print at the bottom of the lessons as they often contain the beloved exceptions.   

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I just wanted to mention that I spent quite a bit of time e-mailing the author about something my ds was just not getting and she was very helpful, prompt and encouraging. So if you ever get stuck try that

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Beauty! Thank you Jenn! I am grateful as I was discussing this with a friend last night, I'll send her the links and this post. I just felt that while I really like it, I've only just started using it. It's really great to have a good recommendation from someone who has used it thoroughly.

I laminated my cards immediately, they need to be in for the long haul. I'm planning to make some flash cards with rules they give and listings of the pronouns and being verbs etc, whatever comes along that I want my children to know well. I find flash cards are really good for me when I'm travelling in the car with children, an older child can hold up the cards in the front and we can go through them orally as a family.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

mom2mpr wrote:
I just wanted to mention that I spent quite a bit of time e-mailing the author about something my ds was just not getting and she was very helpful, prompt and encouraging. So if you ever get stuck try that

Oh, that is really good to know, Anne!! Thank you!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Anne, I had started writing an email to Liz but I wasn't sure if they would appreciate that sort of email, so thanks for letting me know. I sensed to that I'd get a really good response here as well, I really appreciate the time you've given Jen, thank you.

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

We, too, are big Winston fans. We switched to Winstons after reading Jen's blog post. We have tried many grammar programs but it just wouldn't stick with my dd. But Winstons hands-approach with the cards have seemed to do the trick.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

How long have you found the basic program to take ( a full school year)? If you were just starting out with a 7th grader would you use the three levels, one right after the other, so you finish before the PSAT or would you skip a year between the levels?
Thanks!
Aagot
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 19 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Aagot wrote:
How long have you found the basic program to take ( a full school year)? If you were just starting out with a 7th grader would you use the three levels, one right after the other, so you finish before the PSAT or would you skip a year between the levels?
Thanks!
Aagot

Yes, Aagot. A full year is a good plan for both Basic and Word Works. Advanced would be better if you moved a bit more slowly. It can take up to 2 years.

If you wanted to finish by the time a student takes the PSAT, you'd need to start in 6th grade assuming that you take 2 years to complete Advanced. Even if you started in 7th though, you'd be halfway done with Advanced by the time you start. Having already been through the PSAT once though, I think it would be fine to in Advanced Winston Grammar by the time your student takes the test.

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2011 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Thanks so much Jen,
I guess I better get moving on it.
Aagot
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version